Ice Bike :-)

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Well, I was bored and frustrated yesterday evening, so, after I'd exhausted all the usual
masturbation possibilities, I decided to build another SS.

I got sick of trying to get new forks for the steel rigid frame, so I stripped it, and started to
build up the old Claude Butler alu hardtail frame instead. I threw a BB in there, swapped the cranks
over, took them off again and put the correct length BB in (d'oh!) which took an age 'cos the first
was _stuck_, cranks back on. Mounted the ice tyres I'd made last year and not used yet (sharp, as
proven by the many holes in my hands). Seat post in, mounted the seat, bars and stem on, V's fitted
and set up, and I was ready to roll. About 3 hours/beers work in all.

After a long phone call, and another beer, I took it out front to see how the tyres handled on
pavement, something that I was a little concerned about. Seems like If I take it out in the ice and
hit a patch where there is none, I don't have to worry - grips just fine, if a little squirrelly on
the corners......!.....

Rode into work this a.m. on her for further testing purposes (just for the hell of it), and it was
good fun, the noise from those tyres seemed to disturb a lot of folks though ',;~}.......might just
get a rigid fork for this sometime, 'cos the sus fork on there is **** and heavy to boot.

Shaun aRe - got two working bikes again.

P.s. - can you say 'massive rolling resistance'?

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:19:53 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Well, I was bored and frustrated yesterday evening, so, after I'd exhausted all the usual
>masturbation possibilities, I decided to build another SS.
Rub it in go ahead just rub it in ...."build another SS"... What one's not good enough?!

>I got sick of trying to get new forks for the steel rigid frame, so I stripped it, and started to
>build up the old Claude Butler alu hardtail frame instead. I threw a BB in there, swapped the
>cranks over, took them off again and put the correct length BB in (d'oh!) which took an age 'cos
>the first was _stuck_, cranks back on. Mounted the ice tyres I'd made last year and not used yet
>(sharp, as proven by the many holes in my hands). Seat post in, mounted the seat, bars and stem on,
>V's fitted and set up, and I was ready to roll. About 3 hours/beers work in all.
Sounds like fun. Hope your hand heal ... ouch.

>After a long phone call, and another beer, I took it out front to see how the tyres handled on
>pavement, something that I was a little concerned about. Seems like If I take it out in the ice and
>hit a patch where there is none, I don't have to worry - grips just fine, if a little squirrelly on
>the corners......!.....
>
>Rode into work this a.m. on her for further testing purposes (just for the hell of it), and it was
>good fun, the noise from those tyres seemed to disturb a lot of folks though ',;~}.......might just
>get a rigid fork for this sometime, 'cos the sus fork on there is **** and heavy to boot.
I was thinking about getting a sus fork...prolly not though I love the light weight of a
rigid....fork that is.

>Shaun aRe - got two working bikes again.
>
>P.s. - can you say 'massive rolling resistance'?

uh, 'maaasive rooolling resisstaaance'...yes I can say that.

:-]