Hi All,
I just got a HRM and was wondering if someone could tell me what the ideal heart rate ranges are or of any sites on the web where I can find out more on Heart Rate training.
Thanks
G_Man
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
Cycling Training · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Hi All,
I just got a HRM and was wondering if someone could tell me what the ideal heart rate ranges are or of any sites on the web where I can find out more on Heart Rate training.
Thanks
G_Man
[font=Times New Roman]Not meant to be an endorsement of this web page, I just like the way they have this done.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]I prefer to use the Karvonen Method...[/font]
[font=Times New Roman][/font]
[font=Times New Roman]briancalkins.comHeartRate.htmOpen ↗[/font]
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]for more info slap related key words in the search field of your favorite search engine brother man, and you can become enlightened![/font]
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]HR[/font]
G_Man said:Hi All,
I just got a HRM and was wondering if someone could tell me what the ideal heart rate ranges are or of any sites on the web where I can find out more on Heart Rate training.Thanks
G_Man
Sally Edwards has produced a number of excellent books about HR training and various zones. What 'zone' you work in for what time is largely dependant on your objectives/goals. ( amazon or ebay)
Polar web site has a virutal cycling coach - I think you can register at no cost as well.
Main thing is to use the HRM for your training - not just wear it while you train!!
G_Man said:Hi All,
I just got a HRM and was wondering if someone could tell me what the ideal heart rate ranges are or of any sites on the web where I can find out more on Heart Rate training.Thanks
G_Man
Many coaches use different methods of setting training levels. Some coaches set training levels based on HR max (e.g., British Cycling, us - RST/cyclecoach.com, and i *think* CTS), whereas others base it on average HR during a time trial over a duration of 30 or 60-mins (this is sometimes erroneously referred to as lactate threshold heart rate - LT HR).
However, more important than how the zones/levels are set is what training you actually do, and the goals that you have.
Ric
My father was born in 1916. He is now 90 years old. He used to eat bread and dripping for meals. He also rode a bike exclusively until he was 34 years old.
You know ....he never had a heart monitor...
90 years....but he did simply get out there and pedal until he felt tired. Then next day he did it again....and in the end he could cycle _145 Miles_ (230Km) in a day; not always, and it may only have been once, but often 50-60 miles.....there and back.
He had a "single speed" (ark ark). It probably weighed 20-25 Kg.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
He did "cheat" and draft trucks from time to time, so really he probably only did 30 miles.....= 50Km per day.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
I dream of being as fit as my Dad until I am 90.....technology or not.
Bottom line? Stop obsessing about the figures. Take it easy. If you are not happy then go get a checkup. Otherwise take it easy. Build up. Patience.
Live.
I don't have any experience doing this in bicycling, but I have used heart-rate training for kayak marathon racing for the past three years. I like the book SERIOUS Training for Endurance Athletes. It's poorly written, and a complex program, but it seems to work for many people.
Supposedly, heart rate training lets you get the maximum bang for your training time. I train for kayaking only about an hour a day, but am pretty competitive with people who train quite a bit more. In my case, at least, I think the heart rate training helped. As OldNick says, it really isn't necessary if you have lots of time to train, and vary your workouts.
The basic idea is that most people go out hard until they're tired, and then stop. Over time, their performance tends to "plateau." Swimmers, for example, will do a mile in 25 or 30 minutes and then being unable to go faster.
With heart rate training, you purposefully do large chunks of time at a slow pace. This can be very annoying, because you want to go faster, but you hold yourself back. The main reason for the monitor is to keep yourself from going too fast! (While kayaking or swimming, this is a good time to work on perfecting your form. While biking, I guess, it might be a good time to watch the scenery go by.)
Then, with increasing intensity as race season approaches, you add intervals, then reduce overall training time towards race season. These intervals do not make your legs go rubbery or burn, but they push right up against that. (If you go rubbery, you're in anaerobic metabolism, which produces lactic acid and kills your workout--great for sprinters but not for distance athletes.)
I don't think you really need a heart rate monitor to do this. You could simply go easy most of the time and then do interval workouts. I seldom use the actual monitor anymore--I know my pace for each type of workout.
When race season comes, you finally put together the endurance you got from your long, slow workouts and the increased aerobic capacity you got from your intervals--it's really quite a rush : )
I wish I could apply the training stuff I know from kayaking to biking, but my bad knee won't let me. My new bike has the lowest, slowest granny gears available. I envy those of you who can race : (
NuCommuter
OldNickToo said:My father was born in 1916. He is now 90 years old. He used to eat bread and dripping for meals. He also rode a bike exclusively until he was 34 years old.
You know ....he never had a heart monitor...
90 years....but he did simply get out there and pedal until he felt tired. Then next day he did it again....and in the end he could cycle _145 Miles_ (230Km) in a day; not always, and it may only have been once, but often 50-60 miles.....there and back.
He had a "single speed" (ark ark). It probably weighed 20-25 Kg.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
He did "cheat" and draft trucks from time to time, so really he probably only did 30 miles.....= 50Km per day.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
I dream of being as fit as my Dad until I am 90.....technology or not.
Bottom line? Stop obsessing about the figures. Take it easy. If you are not happy then go get a checkup. Otherwise take it easy. Build up. Patience.
Live.
Amen.
From an ol' fogey 😉
Hehe! Middle-aged fogey here...my Dad was a late starter as a parent. Maybe _that's_ why he's lived so long! <G>
I can see the need for all this stuff, if you are going to compete or really push your abilities. But I was watching some show the other day where a guy was actually talking about running, and all the techniques he had, and how he would watch the percent of his max heartrate that he was achieving etc.
I know you can injure yourself both biking and running, if you push too hard, or too long or run wrong or pedal wrong etc. But I wonder if all this obsession with perfection is not a bit much for the common person.
When I ride, I can feel my heart. I reckon if I sit for a while and test my relaxed rate against the clock, when I am riding, I can pretty much tell when I reach 120-130, and start to climb to 140 or so, which is where I stop pushing any harder if I intend to continue riding. Doing that, my cycling fitness has rocketed in a couple of months of fun riding. It's nowhere nearly enough, but it's still on the improve.
But this guy definitely got more fun out of all the gear he had strapped to him than he did the run, I swear! <G>.
I do have to say that my wife (separate post) really _needed_ a cadence monitor to get anywhere near a reasonable pedal rate, and to force her to get into the habit. shrug.
OldNickToo said:My father was born in 1916. He is now 90 years old. He used to eat bread and dripping for meals. He also rode a bike exclusively until he was 34 years old.
You know ....he never had a heart monitor...
90 years....but he did simply get out there and pedal until he felt tired. Then next day he did it again....and in the end he could cycle _145 Miles_ (230Km) in a day; not always, and it may only have been once, but often 50-60 miles.....there and back.
He had a "single speed" (ark ark). It probably weighed 20-25 Kg.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
He did "cheat" and draft trucks from time to time, so really he probably only did 30 miles.....= 50Km per day.
I dream of matching that.....technology or not.
I dream of being as fit as my Dad until I am 90.....technology or not.
Bottom line? Stop obsessing about the figures. Take it easy. If you are not happy then go get a checkup. Otherwise take it easy. Build up. Patience.
Live.
What a useless contribution to this thread.
Does not help the OP at all and is off topic.
ChelseaHH said:What a useless contribution to this thread.
Does not help the OP at all and is off topic.
(1) You then quoted my whole message, thereby doubling its perceived uselessness. If you feel the need to place a _completely_ off-topic mesage simply knocking somebody else's, at least don't waste space quoting it if it's "off topic and useless".
(2) I do not believe it's off topic. It's about heart rate monitors, even if it disagrees with them.
(3) It may not be useless to the OP at all. As I said, it may prevent getting obsessed with stuff that will detract from just getting out there and riding. It's what people did for many many years, and that was my point.
(4) The OP shows no sign of having returned to their own conversation anyway AFAICS, so no harm done.
(5) Notwithsanding my above opinions, this place does not seem to be "hard core", and there are some interesting side conversations (which you can completely ignore if you so wish) in many threads, and thank god for that.
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.