Road Cycling · Public discussion

Ideas Needed - Office Bike Storage

Started by Arthur Shapiro · · Last activity · 7 posts · 521 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
9 May 2003
Last activity
12 May 2003
Original author
Arthur Shapiro
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
521
Views / 30 days
8
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There's some office consolidation going on here, and as a result I'm going to lose the nice office
    I've had for the last fifteen years. I'm being moved into a much smaller "soft" office - meaning not
    a cubicle (thank goodness) but a prefabricated creation with walls and doors, and the furniture hung
    from the wall by means of appropriate brackets and the like that slip into perforated areas between
    the panels that make up the toom. We Are Not Amused.

    The trauma is compounded by the fact that there's no bloody way to fit a bicycle into this office
    other than diagonally, whereupon one couldn't really use the office.

    So my most pressing issue is how to store the Habanero, and presumably that means vertically. I
    have one initial idea which I'll throw out for comments as to whether there's something better
    I might do.

    Since I can mount brackets into the wall at reasonably quantized intervals, my thought is to mount
    one, to which I attach two short ropes, dangling with hooks at the end. Those hooks will hold the
    Habby's handlebars with the rear wheel just touching the ground. It will be taut enough such that
    the bike can't wheel backwards and will be held more-or-less vertically against that wall.

    Does this sound reasonable?

    Art

  2. If you are able to "hang" the bike, a single screw in large, plastic coated hook would do the job..
    Just hang from the front wheel at a height where the rear wheel will slide into the wall.. It does
    not bear much of the weight, just keeps it centred without all the ropes and such... I have a
    colleague who stores several this way in a very small space.. As long as you do not bear the full
    weight of the bike on the hook, I do not think that the structural integrity of the wheel would
    become an issue.. good luck in the downsize.. Murray

    (Arthur Shapiro) said:

    There's some office consolidation going on here, and as a result I'm going to lose the nice office
    I've had for the last fifteen years. I'm being moved into a much smaller "soft" office - meaning
    not a cubicle (thank goodness) but a prefabricated creation with walls and doors, and the furniture
    hung from the wall by means of appropriate brackets and the like that slip into perforated areas
    between the panels that make up the toom. We Are Not Amused.

    The trauma is compounded by the fact that there's no bloody way to fit a bicycle into this office
    other than diagonally, whereupon one couldn't really use the office.

    So my most pressing issue is how to store the Habanero, and presumably that means vertically. I
    have one initial idea which I'll throw out for comments as to whether there's something better I
    might do.

    Since I can mount brackets into the wall at reasonably quantized intervals, my thought is to mount
    one, to which I attach two short ropes, dangling with hooks at the end. Those hooks will hold the
    Habby's handlebars with the rear wheel just touching the ground. It will be taut enough such that
    the bike can't wheel backwards and will be held more-or-less vertically against that wall.

    Does this sound reasonable?

    Art

  3. Fri, 09 May 2003 22:39:17 GMT, <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] (Arthur

    Shapiro) said:

    Since I can mount brackets into the wall at reasonably quantized intervals, my thought is to
    mount one,

    bikeup.combikeup.html fogdog.comindex.jsp
    --
    zk

  4. "Murray" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    If you are able to "hang" the bike, a single screw in large, plastic coated hook would do the
    job.. Just hang from the front wheel at a height where the rear wheel will slide into the wall..
    It does not bear much of the weight, just keeps it centred without all the ropes and such... I
    have a colleague who stores several this way in a very small space.. As long as you do not bear
    the full weight of the bike on the hook, I do not think that the structural integrity of the wheel
    would become an issue.. good luck in the downsize.. Murray

    The structural integrity of the wheel still isn't an issue even if the entire weight of the bike is
    held by a hook (I have about 5 hanging in just this manner). If you can't trust the wheel to hold
    the weight of the bike, then how on earth could you trust it to hold the weight of the bike and you?

    -Buck

  5. Art:

    Is it possible to hang the bike upside down from the ceiling?

    Jon Isaacs

  6. On Fri, 09 May 2003 18:19:42 -0700, Zoot Katz said (and I quote):

    Quoted message said:


    fogdog.comindex.jsp

    This looks small and cheap, which I like. But how does it work? Is there a picture of one with a
    bike on it?
    --
    "Naturally, the common people don't want war. But, after all, it is the leaders of a country who
    determine policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along. All you have to do is
    tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing
    the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    - Hermann Goering

  7. In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...

    Quoted message said:

    On Fri, 09 May 2003 18:19:42 -0700, Zoot Katz said (and I quote):

    Quoted message said:


    fogdog.comindex.jsp

    This looks small and cheap, which I like. But how does it work? Is there a picture of one with a
    bike on it?

    You mount it on the wall. Then the hooked end goes between your spokes and holds your bike by the
    wheel, front or rear. You could even thread a cable lock through to secure your bike.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.