Recumbent bicycles · Public discussion

Identify this bike?

Started by Bentbiker · · Last activity · 26 posts · 1,657 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Recumbent bicycles
Published
31 December 2003
Last activity
6 January 2004
Original author
Bentbiker
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,657
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. rich westerman said:

    ... BTW, to Bryan and others who live in the Finger Lakes area: Every time I visit my son in
    Ithaca, I wish I had my V2 with me since it looks like biking heaven. Beautiful views of lakes and
    vales; long grades with lots of good roads. So, is this really as good a biking area as it looks
    to me? (thinking of where to retire to, I am)

    Don't you have all that in Kankakee County? 😉

    Tom Sherman - Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

  2. Tom wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Now we know why Mr. Dolan retired - almost all the career track library jobs with decent pay level
    are for people with significant computer systems expertise.

    An alternate hypothesis with at least equal validity is that Mr. Dolan retired because he attained
    retirement age. He was a Navy Corpsman a LONG time before I was, and I'm pretty damned old.

    I'm sure his career far predates the Computer Age. He probably waxes nostalgic about those damn
    wooden cases with the stupid little drawers with the infernal cards telling you which shelf would
    have held the book you could have used as a reference for tomorrow's term paper if only the asshat
    that checked it out had returned it in time.

  3. Zippy the Pinhead said:

    Tom wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Now we know why Mr. Dolan retired - almost all the career track library jobs with decent pay level
    are for people with significant computer systems expertise.

    An alternate hypothesis with at least equal validity is that Mr. Dolan retired because he attained
    retirement age. He was a Navy Corpsman a LONG time before I was, and I'm pretty damned old.

    I'm sure his career far predates the Computer Age. He probably waxes nostalgic about those damn
    wooden cases with the stupid little drawers with the infernal cards telling you which shelf would
    have held the book you could have used as a reference for tomorrow's term paper if only the asshat
    that checked it out had returned it in time.

    If what the little birdie has told me is correct, Mr. Dolan has only quite recently reached the age
    where he would be eligible for full Social Security benefits. Many colleges and universities had
    done away with card catalogs 15 years ago, and almost all had by 10 years ago.

    Tom Sherman - Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

  4. Tom Sherman <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Zippy the Pinhead said:

    Tom wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Now we know why Mr. Dolan retired - almost all the career track library jobs with decent pay
    level are for people with significant computer systems expertise.

    An alternate hypothesis with at least equal validity is that Mr. Dolan retired because he
    attained retirement age. He was a Navy Corpsman a LONG time before I was, and I'm pretty
    damned old.

    I'm sure his career far predates the Computer Age. He probably waxes nostalgic about those damn
    wooden cases with the stupid little drawers with the infernal cards telling you which shelf
    would have held the book you could have used as a reference for tomorrow's term paper if only
    the asshat that checked it out had returned it in time.

    If what the little birdie has told me is correct, Mr. Dolan has only quite recently reached the
    age where he would be eligible for full Social Security benefits. Many colleges and universities
    had done away with card catalogs 15 years ago, and almost all had by 10 years ago.

    Tom Sherman - Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

    All this speculation about my career and my age has got me rolling on the floor with laughter! Zippy
    is more right than Mr. Sherman, but neither have enough crucial facts about me to be speculating at
    all. I think I will keep it that way and remain a man of mystery to one and all.

    Mr. Sherman is thinking logically about the problem as he always does about everything (which is why
    I cannot understand why he is not more often right about things than he is). But he has made
    several crucial mistakes about some of the assumptions he has made about me having to do with
    retirement age, social security, etc. - and how much I ever worked period.

    Ah well, I could speculate about him and his career too, but the truth is I am just not that
    interested. I toss about my little personal experiences in life because I hope they will be
    interesting to the readership and not because I want anyone to be speculating about who and what I
    am. Maybe someday we will meet in the real world and you will know more than you will ever want to
    know. Familiarity always breeds contempt.

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  5. Zippy the Pinhead <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Tom wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Now we know why Mr. Dolan retired - almost all the career track library jobs with decent pay
    level are for people with significant computer systems expertise.

    An alternate hypothesis with at least equal validity is that Mr. Dolan retired because he attained
    retirement age. He was a Navy Corpsman a LONG time before I was, and I'm pretty damned old.

    I'm sure his career far predates the Computer Age. He probably waxes nostalgic about those damn
    wooden cases with the stupid little drawers with the infernal cards telling you which shelf would
    have held the book you could have used as a reference for tomorrow's term paper if only the asshat
    that checked it out had returned it in time.

    Zippy, card catalogs and cataloging in general turned out not to be my cup of tea in life. Mr.
    Sherman would have made an excellent librarian either behind the scenes (Cataloging and
    Acquisitions) or up front dealing with the confounded public (Circulation and Reference). I quickly
    retreated to the world of Acquisitions and spent years buying books for the faculty and students. I
    thankfully got out of libraries altogether before computers came onto the scene.

    What is interesting now is that even very small public libraries are now completely computerized.
    The old card catalogs were tiresome to work with but nothing in them could ever disappear with a
    click of the mouse either. Only fire and flood could destroy them.

    Since I got the computer a couple of years ago I find that I am not reading books like I use to. I
    go to the Internet for information now, but that is not the same thing as reading a book that an
    author has taken great pains to write. I feel like I am getting dumber and dumber the more I am on
    the computer (see how I leave myself wide open for
    Mr. Sherman to make some disparaging comment about me at this point).

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

  6. "rich westerman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Now we know why Mr. Dolan retired - almost all the career track library jobs with decent pay
    level are for people with significant computer systems expertise.

    Tom Sherman ? Close to 41½ N, 90½ W

    All too true. My son entered grad school at the U of Illinois back in the mid 90's to get his MLS
    (master of library science) By the time he got the degree it was called Master of Information
    Services. Now he's on the faculty at Cornell, as an archivist in the Labor Library.[...]

    Rich, I graduated from the University of Minnesota School of Library Science way back when there was
    such a school. It has since gone out of existence which really surprised me when it happened some
    years ago as it was one of the largest library schools in the country.

    I never liked the term library science as I never thought there was anything at all scientific about
    libraries or about the study of the subject. I always preferred the old fashion term librarianship,
    a perfectly good word which accurately describes what librarians do - they look after libraries. It
    is a humble calling but if you enjoy books and documents you are in heaven. When I was a book buyer
    for a university library I would go ape when the new books would arrive at my desk. Life didn't get
    any better than that!

    Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.