IDIOT. now my cassette wont rotate

FREDBLACK

Feb 27, 2006
:eek: Hello

i sent my wheel to a closeby MTB LBS to bet a broken spoke replaced. first time he left my cogs loose. (not to mention he replaced my round spoke with a blade spoke)

i sent it back, and next time i got it back, the cassette will not freewheel. FOR GODS SAKE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HAS THIS IDIOT DONE TO MY WHEEL?
i am going crazy.

thank you very much:eek:

FREDBLACK said:
:eek: Hello

i sent my wheel to a closeby MTB LBS to bet a broken spoke replaced. first time he left my cogs loose. (not to mention he replaced my round spoke with a blade spoke)

i sent it back, and next time i got it back, the cassette will not freewheel. FOR GODS SAKE CAN ANYONE TELL ME WHAT HAS THIS IDIOT DONE TO MY WHEEL?
i am going crazy.

thank you very much:eek:
I may be able to help. Does the wheels spin freely around the axle if you hold the ends of the axle (not the quick release). I it doesn't, he may have over-tightened your cones.

thanks mate. yes it does spin around the axle. another thing is, gear shifting is not taking place smoothly anymore. i noticed that the gap between the smallest cog and the next one up is significantly larger that the gaps between the restof the cogs (ultegra 10 speed...) I dont know how some mechanics get their jobs.

bobbyOCR said:
I may be able to help. Does the wheels spin freely around the axle if you hold the ends of the axle (not the quick release). I it doesn't, he may have over-tightened your cones.

It sounds as though your useless mechanic has put the cassette spacers on in the wrong order.

On some hubs there is a thin (about 1mm thick ) and shallow spacer that slides onto the freehub body before the sprockets. If it has been put on between the sprockets it'll mess up the gearing.

Another possibility is that he hasn't lined up the splines on the smallest sprocket properly, preventing it from meeting the second sprocket.

FREDBLACK said:
thanks mate. yes it does spin around the axle. another thing is, gear shifting is not taking place smoothly anymore. i noticed that the gap between the smallest cog and the next one up is significantly larger that the gaps between the restof the cogs (ultegra 10 speed...) I dont know how some mechanics get their jobs.
I may be able to help then. If your are running wheels meant to run a 9-speed cassette, which is most, there is a small spacer required to fit the 10-speed. Your mechanic might have mixed the spacers up and put one where it wasn't meant to go. This causes the cassetts to tighten onto the hub flange when the small lockring is tightened, instead of hitting the spacer. This would stop the cassette spinning. If you have a lockring tool and a chainwhip, you could probably do it yourself.

Diagram )= flange |=spacer {= cog ]= lockring

the first few gears are carried on a spider so it should go
______________note no spacer
) | {{{{ { | { | { | { | { /\ { ]

your mechanic may have done
_______________Might be the cause
____________________\/
) {{{{ { | { | { | { | { | {
/\
This may be the problem

Hope I can be of help. (sorry for the length
redface.gif
)

SPOT ON.
thank you very much.

bobbyOCR said:
I may be able to help then. If your are running wheels meant to run a 9-speed cassette, which is most, there is a small spacer required to fit the 10-speed. Your mechanic might have mixed the spacers up and put one where it wasn't meant to go. This causes the cassetts to tighten onto the hub flange when the small lockring is tightened, instead of hitting the spacer. This would stop the cassette spinning. If you have a lockring tool and a chainwhip, you could probably do it yourself.

Diagram )= flange |=spacer {= cog ]= lockring

the first few gears are carried on a spider so it should go
______________note no spacer
) | {{{{ { | { | { | { | { /\ { ]

your mechanic may have done
_______________Might be the cause
____________________\/
) {{{{ { | { | { | { | { | {
/\
This may be the problem

Hope I can be of help. (sorry for the length
redface.gif
)

FREDBLACK said:
SPOT ON.
thank you very much.
Any time.
i hate unreliable mechanics, so I learnt how to fix bikes myself. Best thing you will ever learn. It not only saves you money (so you can get better parts ;)) but you have skills if you ever need or have an opportunity to earn some extra money building or fixing bikes.

gclark8 said:
Rod and Lonnie, I think he has, Bobby in Bunbury. :D
Ha thanks :p. See you live in WA too. Not the best day for the state TT. Windy as hell out on the course.