If the UCI had age group winners

Tony

Guest
These are the Best Riders by Age Group based on the 2003 season UCI rankings

(Age, Name, UCI Points, Overall UCI Ranking, # of riders that age in UCI Top 100)

42 years, Malcolm Elliot, 30 points, 925th, 0 41 years, Hilton McMurdo, 13 points , 1279th, 0 40
years, Michael Carter, 55 points, 828th, 0 39 years, Jens Heppner, 174 points, 326th, 0 38 years,
Gianni Faresin, 335 points, 160th, 0 37 years, Viatcheslav Ekimov, 693 points, 46th, 1 36 years,
Mario Cipollini, 488 points, 85th, 2 35 years, Laurent Brochard, 961 points, 24th, 5 34 years, Jaan
Kirsipuu, 879 points, 30th, 6 33 years, Erik Zabel, 2,088 points, 2nd, 8th, 12 32 years, Gilberto
Simoni, 1715 points, 4th, 12 31 years, Michael Boogerd, 1,441 points, 9th, 7 30 years, Alexander
Vinokourov, 1,641 points, 6th, 9 29 years, Paolo Bettini, 2,267 points, 1st, 8 28 years, Julian
Dean, 706 points, 45th, 4 27 years, Danilo DiLuca, 1,344 points, 12th, 7 26 years, Iban Mayo, 1,425
points, 10th, 11 25 years, Baden Cooke, 900 points, 29th, 8 24 years, Michael Rogers, 836 points,
33th, 4 23 years, Alejandro Valverde points, 1,611, 7th, 6 22 years, Filipo Pozzato, 719 points,
44th, 2 21 years, Tomas Vaitkus, 250 points, 222nd, 0 20 years, Niels Scheuneman, 163 points ,
347th, 0 19 years, Thomas Lovkvist, 107 points, 480th, 0

On 12 Jan 2004 15:30:30 -0800, Tony wrote:
> 31 years, Michael Boogerd, 1,441 points, 9th, 7

So he did win something after all in 2003, great.

"Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> These are the Best Riders by Age Group based on the 2003 season UCI
rankings

> (Age, Name, UCI Points, Overall UCI Ranking, # of riders that age in UCI
Top 100)

> 42 years, Malcolm Elliot, 30 points, 925th, 0

Nice to know my dreams are not *completely* dead yet. :)

Won't be much longer though! Damn, it sucks getting old...

Tony wrote:

> 40 years, Michael Carter, 55 points, 828th, 0

Wow. A US rider is UCI #1. :)

If you had told me a US rider was #1 in his age in integral years, I'd have made the obvious guess.

Dan

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:53:20 +0100, Robert Chung wrote:
>> http://www.uci.ch/data_2003/road/rankings/01/20031109_M.zip
>
> Thanks, I really had no idea where I might find that sort of info. I'll get scripting rightaway.
> (tonight actually, if you haven't done it by then).

I leave it as an exercise for the reader. Grist for a frsc quiz.

1965 appears not to have been a grand cru vintage year for cyclists.

Robert Chung wrote:

>1965 appears not to have been a grand cru vintage year for cyclists.

4 out of 15 world cups 10 monuments A world champ and an olympic silver

But TIOOYK?

Jenko

Jenko wrote:
> Robert Chung wrote:
>>
>> 1965 appears not to have been a grand cru vintage year for cyclists.
>
> 4 out of 15 world cups 10 monuments A world champ and an olympic silver
>
> But TIOOYK?
>
> Jenko

Whoops. Sorry. I was trained as a mathematician, not an accountant, so of course I can't subtract. I
meant 1975.

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:33:12 +0100, Robert Chung wrote:
> Whoops. Sorry. I was trained as a mathematician, not an accountant, so of course I can't subtract.
> I meant 1975.

Yeah, thought you meant the Dean year.

Robert Chung wrote:

>Whoops. Sorry. I was trained as a mathematician, not an accountant, so of course I can't subtract.
>I meant 1975.

world cups monuments (even 0 world cup wins) 1 world champ and two olympic gold medals. But that
was Bartko as a pursuiter A Tour stage here and there A Vuelta

Perhaps they MTB? http://uci.ch/data_2003/mtb/rankings/rank/20031231_xcM.htm

Jenko, another 75 fred

"Jenko" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Robert Chung wrote:
> >
> >Whoops. Sorry. I was trained as a mathematician, not an accountant, so of course I can't
> >subtract. I meant 1975.
>
> world cups monuments (even 0 world cup wins) 1 world champ and two olympic gold medals. But that
> was Bartko as a pursuiter

Why qualify Bartko's accomplishment, and thus denigrate it?

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:

>Why qualify Bartko's accomplishment, and thus denigrate it?

Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker and didn't know 'pursuiter' was an insult. Should have I
said 'trackie'?

Or maybe it was because those accomplishments deserve 0 UCI road ranking points.

Jenko

> Andy Coggan wrote:
> >
> >Why qualify Bartko's accomplishment, and thus denigrate it?
>
> Sorry, I'm not a native English speaker and didn't know 'pursuiter' was an insult. Should have I
> said 'trackie'?
>
> Or maybe it was because those accomplishments deserve 0 UCI road ranking points.

Would you have added a similar qualification if somebody from the class of '75 had set the
hour record?

An Olympic gold is an Olympic gold, and there's many a rider who would trade tons of UCI points
to have one.

Andy Coggan

Andy Coggan wrote:

>Would you have added a similar qualification if somebody from the class of '75 had set the
>hour record?

Yes. I'll try to explain anyway. Since we were talking about road rankings and the whole 75 class,
the intent was to clarify
1) That those medals were achieved at track
2) That it was a single guy who did, not several ones as was the case with the 1965 guys' monuments

Starting with 'But' gave an unintended negative spin to the qualification. My bad. It
should have been

> 1965 appears not to have been a grand cru vintage year for road men cyclists.
world cups monuments (even 0 world cup wins) A Tour stage here and there A Vuelta

They do better in track 2 golds and a silver at Sidney 2 world champs

Jenko