Road Cycling · Public discussion

Ilan what's a good e-mail for you?

Started by Tritonrider · · Last activity · 16 posts · 1,241 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
7 November 2003
Last activity
8 November 2003
Original author
Tritonrider
Posts
16
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,241
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–16 of 16
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you. Bill C

  2. "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

  3. TritonRider said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Google: cf.geocities.comilanpi

  4. TritonRider said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There must be less extreme ways
    than that.

  5. Kurgan Gringioni said:


    "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

    how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

    ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the main reason being that liking
    math and being good at math are not exactly the same thing.

    (a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely keep up with the
    correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest
    person on rbr))

    heather

  6. "h squared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kurgan Gringioni said:


    "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

    how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

    You told me you were a math major via email.

  7. "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: h squared [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the main reason being that
    liking math and being good at math are not exactly the same thing.

    (a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely keep up with the
    correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest
    person on rbr))

    heather

    How are you at discussing the various algorithms and approaches aimed at finding the highest
    prime number.

    I really hope you misunderstood what he was saying. Or that he was referring to a particular finite
    subset of the primes.

    Quoted message said:

    That was more or less what he "needed" to discuss at 9pm last night while I was happily killing
    off brain cells by watching the idiot box. Other times it's Fermat's last theorem, or


    "Goedel,

    Quoted message said:

    Escher, Bach", etc.. It's always vitaly important that we have these discussions immediately when
    he comes up with an idea too. You never know


    where

    Quoted message said:

    they're going to go either, ususally I can follow about the first 5


    minutes of

    Quoted message said:

    the conversation, then I end up saying OK a lot. Gotta love today's teenagers. Bill C

    Point him at a website discussing Ramsey theory. If he's really interested in maths he'll spend the
    next several days reading it and googling for more.

    Peter

  8. TritonRider said:


    Quoted message said:

    From: h squared [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to. the main reason being that
    liking math and being good at math are not exactly the same thing.

    (a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can barely keep up with the
    correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that there's a ton of it, i'm just the laziest
    person on rbr))

    heather

    How are you at discussing the various algorithms and approaches aimed at finding the highest
    prime number.

    terrible. i never studied any number theory at all, and now that i'm old, i'm too dumb to learn it
    (i can learn new stuff, but it just flys right out again after a day or two, and then i don't know
    it anymore).

    (aside- there is no absolute highest prime number, as the number of primes is infinite, but i don't
    think that's what you meant anyway)

    That was more or less what he "needed" to

    Quoted message said:

    discuss at 9pm last night while I was happily killing off brain cells by watching the idiot box.
    Other times it's Fermat's last theorem, or "Goedel, Escher, Bach", etc.. It's always vitaly
    important that we have these discussions immediately when he comes up with an idea too. You never
    know where they're going to go either, ususally I can follow about the first 5 minutes of the
    conversation, then I end up saying OK a lot. Gotta love today's teenagers. Bill C

    does he post to any math groups or anything like that? it's cool he gets excited about that kind of
    stuff. hopefully ilan will drop you a line. i haven't done any math since 1992, so it ain't false
    modesty when i say that i'm no good at it.

    heather

  9. Kurgan Gringioni said:


    "h squared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kurgan Gringioni said:


    "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...
    > My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

    how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

    You told me you were a math major via email.

    but that was almost 3 years ago now. it's sweet you remember (not meant to be sarcastic).

    hh

  10. R not

    "h squared" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Kurgan Gringioni said:


    "TritonRider" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with


    you.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Put him in touch with Heather. She likes math.

    how do you remember or know this stuff about me?

    ilan is a much better choice than me for a math geek to talk to.


    the

    Quoted message said:

    main reason being that liking math and being good at math are not exactly the same thing.

    (a lesser reason being that i owe vardi an email myself. i can


    barely

    Quoted message said:

    keep up with the correspondence that i have now. (and it's not that there's a ton of it, i'm just
    the laziest person on rbr))

    heather

  11. [email hidden] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you. Bill C

    Math geek sounds a little redundant to me. My e-mail is [email hidden], check out my webistes at
    cf.geocities.comilanpi and for more math stuff
    lix.polytechnique.frIlan.Vardi My dots page
    cf.geocities.comdots.html is probably the most accessible stuff I've done and most
    appropriate for High School students. The most appropriate to r.b.r. is my complete solution to the
    Condom Problem: "M men and N women

    communicable disease, what is the minimum condoms that they can use? You are allowed to reuse
    condoms, nest them, and turn them inside out, but once a surface is contaminated, it stays
    contaminated."

    -ilan

  12. [email hidden] (TritonRider) wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    From: h squared [email hidden]

    Quoted message said:

    does he post to any math groups or anything like that? it's cool he gets excited about that kind
    of stuff. hopefully ilan will drop you a line. i haven't done any math since 1992, so it ain't
    false modesty when i say that i'm no good at it.

    heather

    Not really that I know of, he does a lot of stuff with and for the Freenet Project folks. They
    seem to be a similar lot. I was hoping that Ilan could point him at some good boards and
    groups. Bill C

    I'm not Ilan, but I do some math. Show him ocf.berkeley.eduintro.shtml

    this is a page dedicated to riddles, general, from mathematics and from CS. It has a forum with
    really bright people on it (last I saw). The riddles are categorized, the general one into easy,
    medium and hard. The hard ones should get him working for a while, there is at least one or two
    which turned out to be equivalent to still unsolved mathematical problems. 😉

    It's not all mathematics, but I like the variety there.

  13. "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    TritonRider said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There must be less extreme ways
    than that.

    Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this.

    -ilan

  14. From: [email hidden] (Ilan Vardi)> The most appropriate to r.b.r.

    Quoted message said:

    is my complete solution to the Condom Problem: "M men and N women

    Quoted message said:

    communicable disease, what is the minimum condoms that they can use? You are allowed to reuse
    condoms, nest them, and turn them inside out, but once a surface is contaminated, it stays
    contaminated."

    -ilan

    LOL! Thanks for the link, and the protection problem is definitely relative to rbr. Bill C

  15. Ilan Vardi said:

    "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    TritonRider said:

    My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There must be less extreme ways
    than that.

    Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this.

    -ilan

    When my son was 9 we were standing in line at the supermarket when out of the blue he said, "Dad,
    what would you think if I became a mathematician?" I was floored. I put my basket down, got down on
    one knee so that I could look him directly in the eye, pulled him into the circle of my arms and
    said, "Well, first and most importantly, whatever you do, as long as it's honest work and you do
    your best, I'll be proud of you. Second, there is no finer profession, no higher calling, no better
    combination of creativity and rigor than mathematics. Third, if you do go into math, it might be
    wise to pick up a secondary skill, like maybe welding."

  16. In article said:
    Ilan Vardi said:

    "Robert Chung" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    TritonRider wrote:
    > My son is a math geek and I'd like for him to be in contact with you.

    Because you're trying to warn him away from being a math geek? There must be less extreme ways
    than that.

    Thanks for saving me the trouble of posting this.

    -ilan

    When my son was 9 we were standing in line at the supermarket when out of the blue he said, "Dad,
    what would you think if I became a mathematician?" I was floored. I put my basket down, got down
    on one knee so that I could look him directly in the eye, pulled him into the circle of my arms
    and said, "Well, first and most importantly, whatever you do, as long as it's honest work and you
    do your best, I'll be proud of you. Second, there is no finer profession, no higher calling, no
    better combination of creativity and rigor than mathematics. Third, if you do go into math, it
    might be wise to pick up a secondary skill, like maybe welding."

    That's good. It kind of reminds me of a joke from school (that was many years ago, so the details
    could be a bit fuzzy):

    The engineering major asks, "How does that work?"

    The physics major asks, "Why does that work?"

    The philosophy major asks, "Do you want fries with that?"

    --
    tanx, Howard

    "Danger, you haven't seen the last of me!"
    "No, but the first of you turns my stomach!"
    Firesign Theatre

    remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.