Where can I find the best CURRENT bicycle trail maps for Northeast Illinois bike trails? Something
that includes topography info, points of interest, facalities, etc. I&M and Hennepin are of
particular interest. p
Thanks
A community for cyclists, gear, training and racing.
rec.bicycles.rides archive · Public discussion
Thread navigation
Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.
Thread details
The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.
Where can I find the best CURRENT bicycle trail maps for Northeast Illinois bike trails? Something
that includes topography info, points of interest, facalities, etc. I&M and Hennepin are of
particular interest. p
Thanks
Try trailink.com
Ron [email hidden]
That is traillink.com - I forgot the second L. [email hidden]
Quoted message said:From: [email hidden] (TekBuf)
Quoted message said:...Illinois bike trails? Something that includes topography info, points of interest, facalities,
etc. I&M and Hennepin are of particular interest.
No single map that I know of will show all that. You can Google I&M and Hennepin which have web
sites from which you can order the local trail maps with info on points of interest and facilities.
You can order the Illinois Official Bicycle Maps (#'s 1 & 2 of a series of 13, all free) from IDOT
which are fairly detailed and provide individual trail info such as trail type (limestone, paved
etc) and length: (217)785-0834 or their website. The DeLorme Illinois Gazeteer offers some topo
info and plenty of historic and natural points of interest, but the USGS topos for your selected
area would be much better. Don't know about Hennepin, but I&M is flat. Finally, the IL Tourism
Bureau and the Chambers of Commerce for the larger towns on the trails will give all the facility
info you will need.
Sig Chicago
I rode the I&M path earlier this summer. Pretty much flat as a board. The surface is crushed
limestone screening (I think) which is not exactly a breeze of a ride, especially when it's
damp. Don't count on doing much coasting. The trail follows the canal and it serves as sort of a
narrow nature preserve, with plenty of birds and some nice forest sections. There is usually a
road within hearing and seeing distance. The geese like to hang out in the middle of the trail
on week days when traffic is light and they will run at you honking and flapping as you pass,
but none of them actually attacked me. I got most of my pre-ride info from the Grand Illinois
Trail homepage bikelib.orgindex.htmlOpen ↗ Oh, and the casino in Joliet has no
Texas Hold'Em poker.
trailresources.comb032.htmlOpen ↗
Also, just a detailed map:
trailresources.comil10.htmlOpen ↗
Good Luck!
-John
Quoted message said:From: "jjr071160"
Quoted message said:trailresources.comb032.htmlOpen ↗
Quoted message said:
Great resources here. Thanks for posting them.
Sig Chicago
"TekBuf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Where can I find the best CURRENT bicycle trail maps for Northeast Illinois bike trails? Something
that includes topography info, points of interest, facalities, etc. I&M and Hennepin are of
particular interest. p
I'm surprised that topographic information is of concern for paths that follow canals in northern
Illinois. The maximum grade on the I&M is probably .000005%
Scic <[email hidden]> wrote:
:>From: [email hidden] (TekBuf)
<snip>
: much better. Don't know about Hennepin, but I&M is flat.
Hennepin is pretty flat as well... between lock 21 and 22 it seems rarely used. There was no dirt
path worn at all when we did it... After lock 21 going east there is a slight downhill grade, but
not much and a slightly worn dirt path to ride on. Going west it's primarily grass with a slight
downward grade (the ground between lock 21 and 22 is the highest and the locks flow downward in both
directions from there... the feeder canal that supplies the water comes in between those locks).
I have pictures from both I&M (Illinois and Michigan) and I&M (Illinois and Mississippi... which was
renamed Hennepin) canals online. Now should be fine but flooding will wipe out the I&M's often so
make sure you contact the park offices if your going to do a long trip... the Illinois and Michigan
is so close to the Illinois that it can be washed out if the Illinois is flooded. If the Rock River
is flooded, it'll pour thru the Hennepin Feeder canal into the Hennepin (which is all dirt and
washes out easily).
--
John Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
chicagopaddling.orgchicagopaddling.orgOpen ↗ chicagofishing.orgchicagofishing.orgOpen ↗
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)
Chicago Paddling-Fishing said:Hennepin is pretty flat as well... between lock 21 and 22 it seems rarely used. There was no dirt
path worn at all when we did it... After lock 21 going east there is a slight downhill grade, but
not much and a slightly worn dirt path to ride on. Going west it's primarily grass with a slight
downward grade
The Hennepin Canal towpath has been renovated and now resembles the better parts of the I&M Canal
towpath. A very nice ride indeed.
Todd Kuzma Heron Bicycles Tullio's Big Dog Cyclery LaSalle, Il 815-223-1776
heronbicycles.comheronbicycles.comOpen ↗ tullios.comtullios.comOpen ↗
TekBuf <[email hidden]> wrote:
: Where can I find the best CURRENT bicycle trail maps for Northeast Illinois bike trails? Something
: that includes topography info, points of interest, facalities, etc. I&M and Hennepin are of
: particular interest. p
By the way, if your looking at the I&M trail in Cook County, I read in the paper today that the bike
bridge in Lemont was closed due to flooding and wouldn't be open until they completed a study to see
if it was safe (a portion of one the bridge foundation apparently was exposed after flooding washed
away the ground and ramp on one side).
--
John Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
chicagopaddling.orgchicagopaddling.orgOpen ↗ chicagofishing.orgchicagofishing.orgOpen ↗
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)
Todd Kuzma <[email hidden]> wrote:
: Chicago Paddling-Fishing wrote:
:> Hennepin is pretty flat as well... between lock 21 and 22 it seems rarely used. There was no dirt
:> path worn at all when we did it... After lock 21 going east there is a slight downhill grade, but
:> not much and a slightly worn dirt path to ride on. Going west it's primarily grass with a slight
:> downward grade
: The Hennepin Canal towpath has been renovated and now resembles the better parts of the I&M Canal
: towpath. A very nice ride indeed.
All 104 miles?
--
John Nelson
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicago Area Paddling/Fishing Page
chicagopaddling.orgchicagopaddling.orgOpen ↗ chicagofishing.orgchicagofishing.orgOpen ↗
(A Non-Commercial Web Site: No Sponsors, No Paid Ads and Nothing to Sell)
Active in the last 60 minutes
0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total
No signed-in users are active right now.
No known search crawlers active right now.