rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

im lucky..helmets save your head

Started by unisteez · · Last activity · 12 posts · 276 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
23 April 2006
Last activity
23 April 2006
Original author
unisteez
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
276
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I almost never wear a helmet, but today i was just out in my driveway
    messing around on some big rocks in my front yard when i had a weird
    fall where my pedal slipped and i lost my balance and ended up falling
    backwards really hard. Usually i can catch my balance and land on my
    feet but this time i ended up smashing my head straight on the rock. I
    cracked my helmet into two pieces..man am i glad i was wearing a
    helmet. I have a crazy bad headache right now..but thats better than
    stitches.

    --
    unisteez
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  2. Glad your OK! Sounds like it could have been much worst news.

    --
    Chrashing

    Regards,
    Ken ... a recreational unicycle enthusiast... Please wear a helmet!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chrashing's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7501
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  3. unisteez said:

    I almost never wear a helmet, but today ...... I have a crazy bad
    headache right now..but thats better than stitches.

    You probably should get a check up (sooner rather than later) to make
    sure that you don't have a concussion.

    --
    One on one

    Amazing. YOU'RE a waffler too!! And we BOTH unicycle! We're just the
    same! That's why I like you, Greg!
    -BillyTheMountain

    You ARE me, you silly goose.
    -Greg Harper
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    One on one's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5740
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  4. unisteez said:

    ...i had a weird fall where my pedal slipped and i lost my balance and
    ended up falling backwards really hard.

    That's what the helmets are for, those weird falls. And the reason it's
    a good idea to wear one *whenever* you ride in dangerous situations is
    because you never know when those weird falls will be.

    Just like seat belts, really.

    Glad you timed your helmet right, you really got your money's worth!

    --
    johnfoss

    John Foss
    "jfoss" at "unicycling.com" -- www.unicycling.com
    -----------------------------------------------

    "The worst thing you can do on a unicycle when you land is stop dead."
    -- Kris Holm, world's expert on high-consequence unicycling
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    johnfoss's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/832
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  5. yea, from now on im going to try to always wear a helmet.

    i dont think i got a concussion from this, my eyes didnt dialate or
    anything like that, and im not really tired or nauseus feeling. My neck
    and back are real sore feeling though, i should probably go to the
    doctor and make sure that i didnt mess up my back or anything, and to
    double check that i dont have a concussion.

    but now i need a new helmet..any suggestions on comfortable and cool
    looking helmets? Im thinking of getting a pro-tec helmet.

    --
    unisteez
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  6. God was looking out for you.

    --
    Phuni
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Phuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5264
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  7. Wow, what luck! Coincedently, today was the day that I decided to start
    wearing a helmet too. This story reinforces my decision!

    --
    Carolyn
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Carolyn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11436
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  8. i got a concussion once, i had a haedache for 3 days straight, and dont
    remember it, so if you remember it and if your headache doesnt flare
    from from someone looking at you too hard, it should be fine

    --
    unijesse

    www.unicycletips.com

    Udjiniese-Lucas1wheel

    '_*OWNER_OF_60000*_'
    (http://tinyurl.com/o42ka)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    unijesse's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10868
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  9. Well from what i have seen the best helmet in my area is
    tsg...................... You got way lucky I almost always wear a
    helmet except when freestyling in the gym
    😄 😄 😄 😄 😄

    --
    Uni-D3
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Uni-D3's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11255
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  10. unisteez said:

    I cracked my helmet into two pieces...

    Uh-oh! The words "proper mode of failure" are all bouncing around my
    head!

    Quoted message said:

    I have a crazy bad headache right now..but thats better than stitches.

    Potential brain damage is better than a superficial injury? If you say
    so, guv'nor.

    Phil

    /me gets arrested by the devil's advocate police. it's a fair cop!

    --
    phil

    "Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    phil's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/915
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  11. unisteez said:

    but now i need a new helmet..any suggestions on comfortable and cool
    looking helmets? Im thinking of getting a pro-tec helmet.

    I like my SixSixOne dirt lid - I should wear it more often than I do.
    It's comfy, though probably not ideal: As far as I can tell, it comes
    in a "one size fits all" (with several different sets of padding).
    Though, the small size seems to fit perfectly on me... Luck? Be sure
    to get one that fits your head right 🙂

    This will make me think twice about going without! :eek:

    --
    Matt.Weston
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Matt.Weston's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11149
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

  12. unisteez said:

    i ended up smashing my head straight on the rock.

    Holy Ghost you're lucky! What were you doing on the rocks? How big were
    they?

    I want a helmet now!

    Matt.Weston said:

    I like my SixSixOne dirt lid

    They looks pretty! And only $20!
    At my local skate shop helmets are £20-£30 which translates to $35-$53.

    Good story! No doubt a lot of people will go out and buy helmets now,
    like me 🙂. Good job!

    AndyC

    --
    andycookuk

    Who ya gonna call?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    andycookuk's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11138
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/48764

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.