Triathlon · Public discussion

IM suggestions: Special needs bag

Started by Tom Henderson · · Last activity · 12 posts · 646 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Triathlon
Published
11 September 2004
Last activity
30 September 2004
Original author
Tom Henderson
Posts
12
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
646
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–12 of 12
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Henderson said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

    Here's my Ironman checklist. It's a list of everything I *might* want to
    have not everything I necessarily take. I think I had dry socks in my
    run special needs bag but didn't use them. I had chewable Pepto Bismol
    in that bag and I *did* use it to settle my stommach down.

    The "q" is a checkbox in some font or another.

    General
    q Chain lube
    q Comfortable clothes/ shoes for after race
    q Directions to race
    q Entry confirmation letter or e-mail
    q Extra towel
    q Floor pump
    q Race number
    q Race packet
    q Wallet/ID/cash
    q Wrist watch
    q Teddy bear
    q Pillows
    q Claritin

    Morning
    q Alleve
    q Bagels
    q Clif bar
    q Gatorade
    q Get Gatorade bottles from freezer
    q Shoes
    q Socks
    q Speedo
    q Sweats
    q Timing chip
    q Underwear

    Bike Prep
    q Aerodrink/straw
    q Bar-end plugs
    q Bento box (electrolyte capsules, gels)
    q Check tire pressure
    q Fill Aerodrink
    q Floor pump
    q Frame pump
    q Water bottles
    q Pump tires
    q Race number on bike
    q Saddlebag (patch kit, tubes, multitool, cash, emergency info, wipes,
    tire levers)

    Pre-Swim
    q Advil
    q Body glide
    q Bodymarking
    q Sunscreen
    q Timing chip
    q Tums
    q Two gels
    q Gatorade
    q Heart rate monitor

    Swim
    q Anti-fog solution
    q Body glide
    q Goggles
    q Sunglasses labeled/on table
    q Swim cap
    q Swimsuit
    q Wetsuit

    Swim to Bike
    q Coolmax undershirt
    q Cycling gloves
    q Cycling shirt
    q Cycling shoes
    q Cycling shorts
    q Emergency info
    q Energy bar
    q Energy gel
    q Helmet
    q Race number on jersey/helmet
    q Socks
    q Towel
    q Wind jacket

    Bike Special Needs
    q Energy bar
    q Energy drink powder
    q Energy gels
    q Raisins
    q Spare tube
    q Sunscreen
    q Glass wipes

    Bike to Run
    q Ben Gay
    q Hand wipes
    q Glass wipes
    q Cash
    q Elastic laces or lace locks
    q Electrolyte capsules
    q Emergency info
    q Energy bar
    q Energy gels
    q Gatorade powder
    q Hat or visor
    q Fleece
    q Race number belt/number
    q Reflective tape
    q Regular glasses
    q SS shirt
    q Shoes/orthotics
    q Shorts
    q Socks
    q Tights
    q Underwear
    q Water bottle/belt
    q Wind shell

    Run special needs
    q Caffeinated gels
    q Electrolyte capsules
    q Energy drink powder
    q LS Shirt
    q Energy bar
    q Biofreeze
    q Insect repellant
    q Pepto
    q Potato chips
    q Pretzels
    q Raisins
    q Tums

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  3. On 9/11/04 2:40 PM, in article, "Harold Buck" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Tom Henderson said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

    Here's my Ironman checklist. It's a list of everything I *might* want to
    have not everything I necessarily take. I think I had dry socks in my
    run special needs bag but didn't use them. I had chewable Pepto Bismol
    in that bag and I *did* use it to settle my stommach down.

    < great post snipped >

    Great list Harold. I'm getting ready for my first IM in October (Blue
    Devil) and you had several things on your list I wouldn't have thought of
    but might very well use.

    Thanks.

    John

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Hardt said:

    Great list Harold. I'm getting ready for my first IM in October (Blue
    Devil) and you had several things on your list I wouldn't have thought of
    but might very well use.

    You are quite welcome. I was half expecting someone to call me on the
    "teddy bear" item.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  5. Hi Tom,

    Never needed a Special Needs Bag. It's a personal thing. I guess if there
    is something that you would really like to have out there and can't or don't
    want to carry it then that would be the thing to include. If you have a
    drink concoction not available on the course then a supply in the Bag might
    be nice.

    Ken

    "Tom Henderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

  6. Pack them. Friend of mine in the Duke Blue Devil had an "evacuation" problem
    at mile 13.1 of the run. Had a little wait at the Port-a-Let. Those extra
    shoes and socks came in real handy afterwards! Too bad he didn't pack extra
    tri-shorts, singlet, and race number & belt!
    --
    Bernie Hall o
    __o </\_
    \ < __/\
    /\o__ (0) (0) / \__o
    ^^^^^^ ^ ^
    2.4 - 112 - 26.2
    Great Floridian Triathlon
    2000~12.40.14
    2001~12:30.36
    2002~13:18.22
    The Duke Blue Devil
    2002~12:26.39
    Philmont Scout Ranch
    1972, 2003
    "Tom Henderson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

  7. with all the other stuff the teddy bear was expected :-)

    Ken

    "Harold Buck" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    .. I was half expecting someone to call me on the

    Quoted message said:

    "teddy bear" item.

    --Harold Buck

  8. Tom Henderson said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

    I look at the Run SN mostly as a way to cope with weather problems.
    Extra socks, throw-away poncho if it looks like rain. Long sleeve
    shirt if the temperature is going to drop, etc.

    It's also not bad place to stash Rolaids/Tums, etc.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  9. Tom Henderson said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another pair
    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use your
    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

    I look at the Run SN mostly as a way to cope with weather problems.
    Extra socks, throw-away poncho if it looks like rain. Long sleeve
    shirt if the temperature is going to drop, etc.

    It's also not bad place to stash Rolaids/Tums, etc.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  10. I always put a can of ginger ale in my bike and run special needs bags, to
    settle a potentially queasy stomach. (i had a fellow racer offer me money
    for my gingerale at vineman one year!)

    Also, remember that most races will not let you retreive your special needs
    bags after the race, so don't put any clothing/items in their that you'd not
    be able to easily replace.

    "Mike Tennent" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Tom Henderson said:

    I was considering putting a fresh, dry pair of socks, or even another


    pair

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of shoes in my run SN bag. Anyone have any feedback? Did you even use


    your

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    SN bags? Any item you wish you HAD put in there for your last IM?

    TIA

    Tom

    I look at the Run SN mostly as a way to cope with weather problems.
    Extra socks, throw-away poncho if it looks like rain. Long sleeve
    shirt if the temperature is going to drop, etc.

    It's also not bad place to stash Rolaids/Tums, etc.

    Mike Tennent
    "IronPenguin"

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    trihard said:


    Also, remember that most races will not let you retreive your special needs
    bags after the race, so don't put any clothing/items in their that you'd not
    be able to easily replace.

    At least at IMWisc, you could dig through the bags the next day, but
    there were no guarantees you'd find yours. However, if you have a $12
    long-sleeved shirt you might want for the second half of the run,
    putting it in the bag is not a bad gamble.

    --Harold Buck

    "I used to rock and roll all night,
    and party every day.
    Then it was every other day. . . ."
    -Homer J. Simpson

  12. It all depends on the weather and such, but the one thing I LOVED was
    FROZEN Mango Gatorade. I froze it and kept in a cooler until I had to
    drop the bag off. When I got to it - there was still "slush" in it. I
    also freeze watermelon and have that in my bike SN bag. I also put
    pictures of my family in the bag. I laminate them so they don't get
    all messy, but that seems to help. Heck - by the time I get to the
    bag, I just want to finish! 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.