important/ beautifull S-A races between july and february

maarten

Nov 16, 2002
I am comming to S-A From 14 July until maybe february or even march.

Which are the races I shoulden't miss and why are they a must do?

I will be staying in the Cape town region but travelling to participate in big races around the country is doable(altough not every week of course)

So which are your sugestion? Name, distance, description and place if possible.

I am used to cycling so 100km and + distances or high averages are no problem.

Thanx already

Maarten

Well, you will be here during the height of the SA cycling season, altho July is smack in the middle of winter.

Click here for the 2003 racing calendar.

Races such as the Burger Sanlam in November, 94.7 also in November, are big races. There's the Amashova, but thats in Natal province, and the Hyper to Hyper. When you finally arrive, we can tell you exactly which races are the better ones.

Thanx mate,

I already did some research of course as visitor of this forum, which fueled my interest in South-Africa. Just because I couldn't ride because of a stupid ankle injury I came here.

I obviously knew about the races you mentionned and will if they allow me to start one of the early bunches participate in some of them, pitty november is exam time at Uni but I probabaley can work something out. I'll probabely race most of the time with PPA, Top 20 or maybe top 10 in one of the flatter races(I consider my weakest point climbing) of the Italian Connection league is my goal(aiming high I know ).

For Natal I Probabely need a visa just as for S-A in general, thats the only part I do'nt like Paperworks and paying the bill, but the reward will be nice(beatifull weather and a new world opening up to me)

Just one thing worries me, you all seem to subscribe well in advance is there one of these races I should be applying for early when I don't want the risk to be not allowed to start due to participation number limits?

greetz

Maarten

Maarten,

Winter is the club racing season for licensed (club) riders. The licensing set-up will probably change soon with the unification of cycling bodies -- clubs and Pedal Power association -- in South Africa, due to happen (ho hum, here we go again) at the end of May.

From memory, the "fun-ride" (can be anything BUT fun!) season starts in August and runs through to about now. Almost all the rides allow entries at the start line. In fact, most people enter on the day, which simply means getting to the start in good time. Pedal Power operates a pre-paid Easy Entry voucer system to avoid having to carry large amounts of cash. Typical entry fee in the Western Cape is R40 on the day, which translates to around 4 Euros, I think. Prior (postal) entries run at R25 or so. You don't have to be a Pedal Power member to enter, but membership does have advantages; look at the Pedal Power website www.pedalpower.co.za for more information.

For a few bigger events such as the Burger Sanlam and Argus (all right sponsors, Pick 'n Pay Argus) you are obliged to enter in advance.

Smaller rides run under the auspices of Pedal Power currently attract typically around 1 200 riders in seeded categories plus various League categories that cater for the really serious amateurs and pros. The competitive equivalents for licensed riders during the "non-summer" season are a lot smaller because the rats and mice like me are taking a rest.

The team of my university(maties) and so probabely I also will most likely be riding in the Tour of Eden(knysna) and tour de Windhoek(Namibia). Seems promising to me.