Improving Starts

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Corey, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Corey

    Corey Guest

    Hi, My name is Corey and I run track for Ferris State University. I am a mid-distance runner, mainly
    running the 400. I am 6'3 and I think that this may have a factor on my starts. I dont think im
    getting out of the blocks that well, and im not really sure on what to work on. I know the basics of
    starting, but im looking for ways to get faster. If anyone out there has some drills or tips on how
    to improve my start time it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other tall runners
    with this problem? Do I just have to accept that taller people cant get out of the blocks as fast as
    most runners? Please let me know, thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "Corey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, My name is Corey and I run track for Ferris State University. I am a mid-distance runner,
    > mainly running the 400. I am 6'3 and I think that this may have a factor on my starts. I dont
    > think im getting out of the blocks that well, and im not really sure on what to work on. I know
    > the basics of starting, but im looking for ways to get faster. If anyone out there has some drills
    > or tips on how to improve my start time it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other
    > tall runners with this problem? Do I just have to accept that taller people cant get out of the
    > blocks as fast as most runners? Please let me know, thanks.

    Corey, If you have to endure Ferris State, you should spend your free time doing the only two things
    worthwhile in Michigan: attending the Traverse City Cherry Festival, and driving on the longest
    suspension bridge in the world over to the UP.

    If you must run, try practicing short (10-20 yard) sprints and doing weight training using explosive
    power and moderately heavy weights.

    Good luck.
    T.