Improving Starts

Corey

Guest
Hi, My name is Corey and I run track for Ferris State University. I am a mid-distance runner, mainly
running the 400. I am 6'3 and I think that this may have a factor on my starts. I dont think im
getting out of the blocks that well, and im not really sure on what to work on. I know the basics of
starting, but im looking for ways to get faster. If anyone out there has some drills or tips on how
to improve my start time it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other tall runners
with this problem? Do I just have to accept that taller people cant get out of the blocks as fast as
most runners? Please let me know, thanks.

"Corey" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, My name is Corey and I run track for Ferris State University. I am a mid-distance runner,
> mainly running the 400. I am 6'3 and I think that this may have a factor on my starts. I dont
> think im getting out of the blocks that well, and im not really sure on what to work on. I know
> the basics of starting, but im looking for ways to get faster. If anyone out there has some drills
> or tips on how to improve my start time it would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any other
> tall runners with this problem? Do I just have to accept that taller people cant get out of the
> blocks as fast as most runners? Please let me know, thanks.

Corey, If you have to endure Ferris State, you should spend your free time doing the only two things
worthwhile in Michigan: attending the Traverse City Cherry Festival, and driving on the longest
suspension bridge in the world over to the UP.

If you must run, try practicing short (10-20 yard) sprints and doing weight training using explosive
power and moderately heavy weights.

Good luck.
T.