In need of some HOT embrocation!!

Diggerless

Aug 13, 2007
Hi boys and girls.

Right here's the deal. My knees are relatively fragile and I cant put too much pressure through them even when they are warmed up. The only way I can get an effective traing session done (either gym or on the bike) is to plaster them in Sportsbalm Hot Balm at least 30mins before I start, and hope that it heats up enough. Only then can I get a reasonable workout.

But some days like today, as its a bit cooler my knees pretty much refuse to get warm enough for me to get in a good workout (Regents Park circuits on bike), so spent most of the 90 mins spinning a high gear :rolleyes:

I have tried the Nature's Kiss HotStuff http://www.natures-kiss.co.uk/sportsrub.html and no matter how much I rub in it didnt do a thing for me. The Sportsbalm Hot Balm http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=13096 is the only one that works for me.

Can anyone recommend anything that gets hotter, preferably from your own experience?

Diggerless said:
Hi boys and girls.

Right here's the deal. My knees are relatively fragile and I cant put too much pressure through them even when they are warmed up. The only way I can get an effective traing session done (either gym or on the bike) is to plaster them in Sportsbalm Hot Balm at least 30mins before I start, and hope that it heats up enough. Only then can I get a reasonable workout.

But some days like today, as its a bit cooler my knees pretty much refuse to get warm enough for me to get in a good workout (Regents Park circuits on bike), so spent most of the 90 mins spinning a high gear
rolleyes.gif

I have tried the Nature's Kiss HotStuff http://www.natures-kiss.co.uk/sportsrub.html and no matter how much I rub in it didnt do a thing for me. The Sportsbalm Hot Balm http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=13096 is the only one that works for me.

Can anyone recommend anything that gets hotter, preferably from your own experience?
Is this knee pain on the inside or outside of the knee? You need to give a little more info. so members of this forum can help you. I'm thinking maybe you'd be better off trying to treat the root of your problem. Maybe your knees are not really weak. Maybe your quads are pulling excessively on them and if you lengthen them with massage, it may lessen the problem.
Also, if the saddle is too low, it will be extra stressful for the knees.
Best of luck and I hope you can start pushing those heavy gears soon!

BillBB said:
Is this knee pain on the inside or outside of the knee? You need to give a little more info. so members of this forum can help you. I'm thinking maybe you'd be better off trying to treat the root of your problem. Maybe your knees are not really weak. Maybe your quads are pulling excessively on them and if you lengthen them with massage, it may lessen the problem.
Also, if the saddle is too low, it will be extra stressful for the knees.
Best of luck and I hope you can start pushing those heavy gears soon!
My bike position is fine. I am 38 and my legs have done alot of miles including some road racing many moons ago. I just consider them to be inherently weak now with general wear and tear. They have been like this now for 15 years. Best way of describing it is its like when you wake up on a cold day and your joints just dont want to function until they have woken and warmed up. Except my knees are like this most of the time. For instance I cannot do any squats with weight as I would more than likely injure my knees. When I am in the gym, after about 30-45mins my knees finally wake up as my body heats up and starts to activate the embrocation. Same as on the bike except the cooling air slows the process down.

During this so called British Summer I'd prefer to use embrocation, even though I have some knee warmers too but obviously you cant combine the two even though I tried using a layer of clingfilm between knee warmers and knees :D. In winter I have been known to wear 3/4 length bib shorts with TWO layers of knee warmers! :)

Thanks for the replies guys but all I'm really after is a recommendation for a potent/hot muscle rub/embrocation.

Diggerless said:
My bike position is fine. I am 38 and my legs have done alot of miles including some road racing many moons ago. I just consider them to be inherently weak now with general wear and tear. They have been like this now for 15 years. Best way of describing it is its like when you wake up on a cold day and your joints just dont want to function until they have woken and warmed up. Except my knees are like this most of the time. For instance I cannot do any squats with weight as I would more than likely injure my knees. When I am in the gym, after about 30-45mins my knees finally wake up as my body heats up and starts to activate the embrocation. Same as on the bike except the cooling air slows the process down.

During this so called British Summer I'd prefer to use embrocation, even though I have some knee warmers too but obviously you cant combine the two even though I tried using a layer of clingfilm between knee warmers and knees :D. In winter I have been known to wear 3/4 length bib shorts with TWO layers of knee warmers! :)

Thanks for the replies guys but all I'm really after is a recommendation for a potent/hot muscle rub/embrocation.
If you're 38 and your knees have been hurting for 15 years, your bike position is probably not fine. It could be something very subtle, such as your cleat being 0.5cm too far forward. And, even if your bike position is fine, it could be something else we could help with, like providing you with some stretches that will help. Given your description, you should probably see an expert in person about this, but if you want us to have a hope of helping you you need to tell us how/where the knees hurt. Is it on the inside? on the outside? Is it on the bone at the very outside (ITBS)? Is it under the kneecap? Is it behind the knee? Is the pain sharp (only at certain points in the stroke) or dull (everywhere all the time)? Is there swelling anywhere? Unless its arthritis, chances are you can cure it completely.

Diggerless said:
Hi boys and girls.

But some days like today, as its a bit cooler my knees pretty much refuse to get warm enough for me to get in a good workout (Regents Park circuits on bike), so spent most of the 90 mins spinning a high gear :rolleyes:

Have you seen a rheumatologist or a doctor?

ric

Sorry guys but I am genuinely NOT looking for guidance re knee pain. I have NO pain such as you are suggesting. I described their condition so as to describe it as simply and as best I could (akin to achy joints on a cold morning) I injured right knee 20 yrs ago over-extending knee carryin heavy object up stairs. Recovered from that. Had arthroscopy on other knee soon after, nothing found.I reckon alot of my problems stem from many training rides on cold mornings without warming up properly. Soon after had physio sessions with Vivian Grisogono (iirc) ex olympic team physio who was surprised at the lack of strength I had in my knees, and this was approx 17 yrs ago. She helped but no matter what we tried we agreed that the inherent structure of the knees had weakened.

Please trust me when i say i know my knees very well.

Just looking for the bestest (hottest) embrocation out there. It is the only way I can get through a gym/bike workout.

Thanks All. . .:)

I understand you describe it as achy. But you shouldn't need to slather your knees up just to keep them from hurting. Something seems very wrong there. See a doctor. Get your bike fit checked. Both can only help.

no1kung1 said:
I understand you describe it as achy. But you shouldn't need to slather your knees up just to keep them from hurting. Something seems very wrong there. See a doctor. Get your bike fit checked. Both can only help.
You're nearly there ;) . Its not to stop them from hurting. . . its to get them working! Today was a very good example of why I need HOT embrocation. Sorry if i am preaching to the converted, but embrocation only works when the muscles it has been slathered on actually start to get warm themselves and then hopefully, in my case the knees, start to heat up and function more efficiently.

It took 10-12 miles today to get into a rhythm (remember I am doing circuits of Regents Park, London approx 2.2 miles) temp about 16degreesC so not too warm. First two laps gentle just to get body warmed up, gradually build up speed for next few laps HR approx 75%, always limited as knees not getting too warm yet. On the 6th lap. . .sod it. . .start going for it. By the end of that hard lap HR 85% finally get a sweat on and body heats up., and I can now finally feel the balm heating the knees, they become more fluid and stop ACHING, they feel loose, so for the 7th and 8th lap I can really give it some stick. I feel good and can pretty much near enough sprint round for 2 laps. Body gets tired and I have to slow down, thus cooling down knees start getting ACHY again. . .end of session.

Sooooo, if there is a better embrocation out there I need to know about it :D.

I appreciate that it is difficult for you guys to appreciate the problem. I can be as obsessive as the next person and if I knew I could get help from a more functional analytical approach to riding style/position etc I would, honest :) . Just respect the fact that as you get older parts of your body will start to let you down, in my case knees.

I love my cycling and gym and I know from experience what works for me. . .hot balm, and extra layers in the cold.

Diggerless said:
Hi boys and girls.

Icy Hot

Be careful with that stuff
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/09/toxic-dose-of-bengay-killed-high-school-track-star/

I have bad knees and try to avoid L6 and L7 efforts on the bike most of the time. I stay in L3-4-5 to stay under the knee pain radar while still seeing power improvements. Optimum vitamin C, MSM and HA supplementation seems to help also.

Diggerless said:
You're nearly there ;) . Its not to stop them from hurting. . . its to get them working! Today was a very good example of why I need HOT embrocation. Sorry if i am preaching to the converted, but embrocation only works when the muscles it has been slathered on actually start to get warm themselves and then hopefully, in my case the knees, start to heat up and function more efficiently.

It took 10-12 miles today to get into a rhythm (remember I am doing circuits of Regents Park, London approx 2.2 miles) temp about 16degreesC so not too warm. First two laps gentle just to get body warmed up, gradually build up speed for next few laps HR approx 75%, always limited as knees not getting too warm yet. On the 6th lap. . .sod it. . .start going for it. By the end of that hard lap HR 85% finally get a sweat on and body heats up., and I can now finally feel the balm heating the knees, they become more fluid and stop ACHING, they feel loose, so for the 7th and 8th lap I can really give it some stick. I feel good and can pretty much near enough sprint round for 2 laps. Body gets tired and I have to slow down, thus cooling down knees start getting ACHY again. . .end of session.

Sooooo, if there is a better embrocation out there I need to know about it :D.

I appreciate that it is difficult for you guys to appreciate the problem. I can be as obsessive as the next person and if I knew I could get help from a more functional analytical approach to riding style/position etc I would, honest :) . Just respect the fact that as you get older parts of your body will start to let you down, in my case knees.

I love my cycling and gym and I know from experience what works for me. . .hot balm, and extra layers in the cold.