General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

In Philadelphia

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 10 posts · 168 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
13 July 2007
Last activity
17 July 2007
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
168
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    T.

  2. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    T.

    We were in Bridesburg, Northeast Philly, so not really in those
    neighborhoods. Best bet is to see where a lot of the locals are eating.
    Not the franchise joints, but the little hole in the walls. Wynnewood, near
    Chestnut Hill, just closed a pharmacy that had a counter that the neighbors
    swore by, so just ask around.
    -g

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    T.

    Try the Pennsylvania section of Chowhound.com:

    http://www.chowhound.com/boards/15

  4. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    T.

    T,
    In Chestnut hill I like Cin-Cin for upscale Chinese food, and Rollers at
    Flying Fish. Also, the Valley Green Inn has great food in an incredibly
    beautiful setting along the Wissahickon creek in Fairmount Park (accessible
    from either Chestnut Hill or Roxborough)

    In Mt Airy I like the Cresheim Cottage Cafe, a charming restored stone
    cottage, and McMenamin's Bar (a local pub with nice food and lot's of
    iinteresting beers on tap).

    In Mananyunk we frequent Jake's Restaurant and Derek's, a trendy place with
    American cuisine.

    Hope this helps,
    Jon

  5. Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    T.

    What you are interested in?

    Manayunk has become "yuppified" and overpriced. You might try the Ugly
    Moose.

  6. George said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    Quoted message said:

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Quoted message said:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Quoted message said:

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    Quoted message said:

    T.

    What you are interested in?

    Manayunk has become "yuppified" and overpriced. You might try the Ugly
    Moose.

    It looked that way from the area's website.. http://www.manayunk.com/
    looks expensive..

    How is the Manayunk Brewery, btw? (Beerwise)

    Another place we're going to be is near Bartram's Gardens. How about
    places down there for lunch?

    T

  7. Quoted message said:
    George said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...
    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:
    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)
    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)
    T.


    What you are interested in?

    Manayunk has become "yuppified" and overpriced. You might try the Ugly
    Moose.

    It looked that way from the area's website.. http://www.manayunk.com/
    looks expensive..

    How is the Manayunk Brewery, btw? (Beerwise)

    Don't know. The couple times I was in that area it was crowded and I
    don't particularly like fighting crowds/battling to get in yuppy trendy
    places.

    Quoted message said:


    Another place we're going to be is near Bartram's Gardens. How about
    places down there for lunch?

    T


    If I was in that area I would head east over to Washington Ave on the
    east side of Broad St. Thats less than 3 miles from the gardens. There
    are a couple really good Vietnamese restaurants in the 2 Vietnamese
    malls on the south side of Washington. And just below Washington in that
    same area there is a good Middle Eastern restaurant called "Bitars "
    (www.bitars.com) on Federal & 10th.

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    In Manayunk, don't miss the Manayunk Brewery. Its on Main Street and it
    has a nice river view. The food there is very good and the prices are
    reasonable.

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    George said:
    Quoted message said:

    Yeah, I know about the Reading Market & the Italian Market.. but...

    Quoted message said:

    I need some recommendations for places to eat in these sections of
    town:

    Quoted message said:

    Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy, Germantown, & Manuyunk(sp?)

    Quoted message said:

    Ideas? (We aren't interested in cheese-steaks..)

    Quoted message said:

    T.

    What you are interested in?

    Manayunk has become "yuppified" and overpriced. You might try the Ugly
    Moose.

    It looked that way from the area's website.. http://www.manayunk.com/
    looks expensive..

    How is the Manayunk Brewery, btw? (Beerwise)

    Another place we're going to be is near Bartram's Gardens. How about
    places down there for lunch?

    I go there for lunch once in a while with friends. The Manayunk Brewery
    is a wonderful place for beer and food.

  10. Salutations, gentlefolk,

    The best places to eat near Bartram's Gardens are on Baltimore Ave
    between 47 and 48th (which puts you on the edge of the University City
    section).

    Hang a right turn when leaving Bartrams Gardens, follow Lindbergh Blvd
    a few blocks till it goes around a cobblestoned reverse-bank curve
    (take that _real_ slow) to the left and becomes 49th St.

    Keep going N on 49th to Warrington (stop sign after the traffic lt at
    Springfield) go a block and a half and turn left into the parking lot

    Go to the other end of the parking lot, make a left, the Vientiane
    Laotian Restaurant is about four storefronts down, Or make a right and
    about 3 storefronts down is the Dahlak Ethopian restaurant. And the
    Abbraccio (Italian-fusion, $$) is right by the parking lot.

    Yours, John Desmond

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.