In the News: Urine test clears Jeanson

Jason Spaceman

Guest
From the article:

-----------------------------------
CBC SPORTS ONLINE - Urine samples taken from Canadian cyclist Genevieve Jeanson at the recent world
road cycling championships in Hamilton, Ont., showed no traces of EPO.

The International Cycling Union (UCI) informed the Canadian Cycling Association of Jeanson's
negative urine test on Friday.

"I'm not surprised or relieved because I wasn't in the least worried," Jeanson said in a news
release issued by her Rona-Esker pro team.
-----------------------------------

The rest at http://www.cbc.ca/pcgi-bin/templates/sportsView.cgi?
news/2003/10/24/Sports/jeanson031024

J. Spaceman

Jason Spaceman wrote:

Oh yeah, and also from the article:

------------------------------
Four other cyclists' samples were also found to be negative on Friday, including that of Spanish
road race champion, Igor Astarloa.
------------------------------

So she didnt take EPO...what did dhe take then ?

Euh

Je poste ceci à l'insu de mon plein gré

I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to have
much to say about the claen second tests........

"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jason Spaceman wrote:
>
> Oh yeah, and also from the article:
>
> ------------------------------
> Four other cyclists' samples were also found to be negative on Friday, including that of Spanish
> road race champion, Igor Astarloa.
> ------------------------------

Unfortunately, it seems there will be no way for these cyclists to clean their name - as most of the
damage has already been done. Maybe the UCI could start by cleaning their own house and find out how
on earth these "interested leaks" happen . First about the nationality of the cyclists involved and
then about their identities.

Ya she wasn't worried in the least because she knew someone could pee in a tube for her and she could hide it (you know where) and make it look like she is actually peeing. Hence the negative pee result.

> >From: Fred Marx [email protected]
>
> >I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
> >have much to say about the claen second tests........
>
> <snip> I said that I'd wait and see on Jeanson, and this is good news as far as
I'm
> concerned, but with some of the comments other people and racers have made
> think there's gonna be some long term bad feelings. I'm sure there will be conspiracy theories, or
> comments about her finding a new way to get around
the
> testing. Until she actually tests positive for something or is uncovered
as a
> client in that drug investigation that Quebec has going on she's clean in
my
> book.
> Bill C
>
> PS: I didn't comment on the others. Too many rumors flying, and I don't
trust
> the testers either.

Testing clean means very little in-as-much-as correct timing in the use of EPO will let one pass
the urine test even if the blood profile shows abnormalities or the rider's hematocrit is too high
on race day.

Let'em use all the drugs they want. It makes for fast racing and recovery. They should think about
using a TdF route from the 1940s or 1950s. I'd like to see the moderns do the 1952 TdF route. They'd
probably average 37 or 38kph.

> Unfortunately, it seems there will be no way for these cyclists to clean their name - as most of
> the damage has already been done. Maybe the UCI could start by cleaning their own house and find
> out how on earth these "interested leaks" happen . First about the nationality of the cyclists
> involved and then about their identities.

good point.

>Ya she wasn't worried in the least because she knew someone could pee in a tube for her and she
>could hide it (you know where) and make it look like she is actually peeing. Hence the negative
>pee result.

Euh [email protected]

So she didnt take EPO...what did dhe take then ?

Euh

And the beat goes on. Told Ya so! Bill C

On 10/24/03 3:24 PM, in article [email protected], "radracer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Ya she wasn't worried in the least because she knew someone could pee in a tube for her and she
> could hide it (you know where) and make it look like she is actually peeing. Hence the negative
> pee result.

Did she use a "Whizinator"??

Fred Marx wrote:
> I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
> have much to say about the claen second tests........

I'd say that something else was being used that caused the high haematocrit reading and it
wasn't EPO...

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >From: Fred Marx [email protected]
> >
> > >I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
> > >have much to say about the claen second tests........
> >
> > <snip> I said that I'd wait and see on Jeanson, and this is good news as far as
> I'm
> > concerned, but with some of the comments other people and racers have
made
> > think there's gonna be some long term bad feelings. I'm sure there will
be
> > conspiracy theories, or comments about her finding a new way to get
around
> the
> > testing. Until she actually tests positive for something or is uncovered
> as a
> > client in that drug investigation that Quebec has going on she's clean in
> my
> > book.
> > Bill C
> >
> > PS: I didn't comment on the others. Too many rumors flying, and I don't
> trust
> > the testers either.
>
> Testing clean means very little in-as-much-as correct timing in the use of EPO will let one pass
> the urine test even if the blood profile shows abnormalities or the rider's hematocrit is too high
> on race day.
>
> Let'em use all the drugs they want. It makes for fast racing and recovery. They should think about
> using a TdF route from the 1940s or 1950s. I'd
like
> to see the moderns do the 1952 TdF route. They'd probably average 37 or 38kph.

37 or 38 if they could do unlimited drugs?

"Stewart Fleming" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:1067039811.367105@ns...

> Fred Marx wrote:
> > I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
> > have much to say about the claen second tests........
> >

> I'd say that something else was being used that caused the high haematocrit reading and it
> wasn't EPO...

Like real and simulated altitude training?

One report placed Jeanson's hematocrit at over 50%, which I find surprisingly high. However,
there is little or no (publically available) data on the effectiveness of altitude tents,
different acclimatization protocols, etc., for raising hematocrit, so Jeanson's explanation
certainly can't be ruled out (esp. if she happens to naturally have a hematocrit higher than
average in the first place).

Jeason: innocent until proven guilty.

Andy Coggan

In article <[email protected]>, "B. Lafferty"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > >From: Fred Marx [email protected]
> >
> > >I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
> > >have much to say about the claen second tests........
> >
> > <snip> I said that I'd wait and see on Jeanson, and this is good news as far as
> I'm
> > concerned, but with some of the comments other people and racers have made
> > think there's gonna be some long term bad feelings. I'm sure there will be conspiracy theories,
> > or comments about her finding a new way to get around
> the
> > testing. Until she actually tests positive for something or is uncovered
> as a
> > client in that drug investigation that Quebec has going on she's clean in
> my
> > book.
> > Bill C
> >
> > PS: I didn't comment on the others. Too many rumors flying, and I don't
> trust
> > the testers either.
>
> Testing clean means very little in-as-much-as correct timing in the use of EPO will let one pass
> the urine test even if the blood profile shows abnormalities or the rider's hematocrit is too high
> on race day.
>
> Let'em use all the drugs they want. It makes for fast racing and recovery. They should think about
> using a TdF route from the 1940s or 1950s. I'd like to see the moderns do the 1952 TdF route.
> They'd probably average 37 or 38kph.

Yeah! Be like Tom Simpson! And if they complain, put 'em back on their bike!

I know, I harp on this example every time, but every time it seems someone misses the point of the
drug detection programs that the UCI has in place: people get dead from performance-enhancing
drugs, both short and long term, and EPO kills just as dead as speed and all the other fun stuff
they used to take.

Right now any drug-users in the field have to be circumspect, tentative, and are restricted in what
they can do (no 60% hematocrit insanity, at least). An all-drug Tour? I'm thinking speed, EPO, maybe
some 'roids for the sprinters, And heaven knows what mix of high doses of caffeine and other
stimulants the doctors would come up with, plus more fools on anti-asthma meds.

I'm sure we'd only lose one or two riders, well maybe three. Some French domestic team is sure to
overdo it a bit in the quest for a stage win.

TritonRider wrote:
> <snip> I said that I'd wait and see on Jeanson, and this is good news as far as I'm concerned, but
> with some of the comments other people and racers have made I think there's gonna be some long
> term bad feelings. I'm sure there will be conspiracy theories, or comments about her finding a new
> way to get around the testing.

Like taking EPO a month before worlds instead of the day before?

> Until she actually tests positive for something or is uncovered as a client in that drug
> investigation that Quebec has going on she's clean in my book.

Absolutely, just as clean as the others. One thing that struck me during Worlds coverage was how
many of the women had acne. More than the general population at that age.

> PS: I didn't comment on the others. Too many rumors flying, and I don't trust the testers either.

I'm certain the riders have insiders in the testing labs that do them favours now and then. Perhaps
that's why the cops have to start showing up to the races.

On 10/24/2003 05:56 PM, in article 1067039811.367105@ns, "Stewart Fleming"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Fred Marx wrote:
>> I notice that while all the "abnornal" tests got everyone here all lathered up no one seems to
>> have much to say about the claen second tests........
>>

> I'd say that something else was being used that caused the high haematocrit reading and it
> wasn't EPO...

An altitude tent, perhaps, just like she said????

dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

Andy Coggan wrote:

> One report placed Jeanson's hematocrit at over 50%, which I find surprisingly high. However,
> there is little or no (publically available) data on the effectiveness of altitude tents,
> different acclimatization protocols, etc., for raising hematocrit, so Jeanson's explanation
> certainly can't be ruled out (esp. if she happens to naturally have a hematocrit higher than
> average in the first place).

Her trainers should have been collecting the data and adjusting the tent, and should have known her
hametocrit was high showing up to competition, but since blood thinners are banned couldn't do
anything about it. That would be cheating.

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Absolutely, just as clean as the others. One thing that struck me during Worlds coverage was how
> many of the women had acne. More than the general population at that age.

Designer steroids? I recall taking much abuse when I noted (not by name) a 50 year old local racer
with active acne. Must have been a natural hormonal imbalance. ;-)

"Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Andy Coggan wrote:
> >
> > One report placed Jeanson's hematocrit at over 50%, which I find surprisingly high. However,
> > there is little or no (publically available) data on the effectiveness of altitude tents,
> > different acclimatization protocols, etc., for raising hematocrit, so Jeanson's explanation
> > certainly can't be ruled out (esp. if she happens to naturally have a hematocrit higher than
> > average in the first place).
> >
> Her trainers should have been collecting the data and adjusting the tent, and should have known
> her hametocrit was high showing up to competition,
but
> since blood thinners are banned couldn't do anything about it. That would
be
> cheating.

Couldn't they just give a plasma IV?

B. Lafferty wrote:

> "Kyle Legate" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Absolutely, just as clean as the others. One thing that struck me during Worlds coverage was how
>>many of the women had acne. More than the general population at that age.
>

> Designer steroids? I recall taking much abuse when I noted (not by name) a 50 year old local racer
> with active acne. Must have been a natural hormonal imbalance. ;-)

Might be sunscreen. I've used a coupel which clogged pores and gave me a rash of painful zits. :p
Now I live for overcast mornings :)