the jersey instead of haging under the seat, it was a little
uncomfortable with the stuff rattling around on my back,
particularly out-of-the-seat climbing so I was
wondering if I should try to get used to it or just put it
back under the seat.

So what do you prefer? to have your spares/tools in the jersey
or under the seat?

Matt

Tools and such, I put in the pouch under the seat. What I put in the rear pockets are the extras like energy bars, fruit and maybe an extra tube. Mainly the stuff I need to get to while riding will go in the jersey pockets. Just me :)

i'm in the city, so i've usually got a bag with me, so i just toss them in there, if i'm not taking my bag, chances are i'm not going far enough that i'd need them

10timesbetter said:
i'm in the city, so i've usually got a bag with me, so i just toss them in there, if i'm not taking my bag, chances are i'm not going far enough that i'd need them
Pump is a no-brainer...in clip under the bottle cage. Tubes and tools go under the seat, and the jersey pocket is for tunes and fruit leather...and beer money for when I hit my favorite pubs on my ride on "accident"

Road bike = Tools/patches/tube in seat bag & pump on frame. Pockets for energy bars/money/keys/phone/arm warmers etc.

MTB = all in the hydro pack. :)

A few rides this year I went without a saddle bag. I liked the bare seatpost and the feel of the bike. Of course the consequence is that stuff has to go somewhere else. I carried a slim load of things in pockets - one had my CO2 pump, a tube wrapped up compact in saran wrap, and a lever; one had my license and a twenty (also in wrap), a banana and arm warmers if needed; third had a couple bars. Pockets empty of most of the food by mid-ride (at least, the banana is the first to go - its the most bulky) and it felt pretty good. Going to ride that way this year sometimes.

Granted, that leaves me unsuited to make any repairs outside of a tube flat, but I have found that to be all I need most of the time. Anything else comes up, I also have my phone.

Longer rides (80mi plus) I still go with the saddle bag with tools, two tubes, a lever, some bandages, CO2 pump and extra cartridge, a spare tire folded underneath and a few other things. Ability to fix two tubes and a tire because I had that come up once. Very rare, but its there if I have the bag.

I ride with my tools, tube, and CO2 pump under my seat. I only carry food and possibly a cell phone in my Jersey. I hate feeling the extra weight in my back pockets and often ride without any food/gel, just water in my bottles.

Pump on the frame and cram everything else (or as much as possible) into the under saddle bag. Only edibles go in the jersey pockets for easy access whilst riding. Hate the feeling of having things jiggling around (good thing I'm NOT a lady, huh babybunny?).

I decked out once with a set of keys in my jersey pocket. Since then, anything harder than a banana goes under the seat.

artmichalek said:
I decked out once with a set of keys in my jersey pocket. Since then, anything harder than a banana goes under the seat.

HAH! I've been keeping the keys and phone in my pocket... but your post has me rethinking THAT policy!

Actually, though, I've got to keep something in my back shirt pocket... otherwise, I've afraid of showing off some "plumber's butt crack" if my jersey creeps up. Keeping my raggedy butt covered is my idea of public service.

More to the point, though, I probably carry way too much stuff in the seat bag:
  • Two tubes;
  • Patch kit;
  • Clean rag;
  • Multi-tool;
  • Knife;
  • Tire spoons;
  • First-aid kit;
  • Cash (just a bit);
  • Medical Insurance card;
  • Laminated card with "next of kin" info.

My pump is on the frame in clip beside vertical bottle cage and tube and tools are under the seat! In pocket I have food, extra clothes, mobile phone and house keys.

By the time I have the essentials like - CD player and a couple of CDs , muselli bars , arm and leg warmers ; (if I start out on a cold morning) , house keys and other items of miscellaneous **** , there's not much room for spare tubes ,tools or pump , so that stuff goes on the bike.

For me, under seat bag with spare tube, patch kit, multi-tool, tire irons, house keys and cell phone. In my shirt pockets go wallet and money. Since I live in a city I can ride downtown on the trail (that's another thread to be lucky enough to live in a city with a bicycle trail along the river that is fully paved and is over 31 miles long) and stop off at a place to eat and rest.

Next to kin card... ayyye

I carry a tube, tyre lever, 2 co2's, the inflator, a park allen set, tire boot kit, presta/shrader converter/ patch kit, and keys in a Topeak Micro bag. I keep the wallet in center back jersey pocket, has id, insurance card, money, whatever emergency emergency stuff i'll need. I like the bag. Its a clean, small thing, that clicks in and out quickly, and I dont have to stuff a bunch of stuff on me, or the bike. I dont like carrying a pump. Another bonus, race days, after warmup, just unclip the bag and hand it to friends, off you go.

I put as much as I can in a bag on the bike. Since my bike is a touring model with a rear rack I've got a big bag back there and when I finally buy a racing bike I'll have to rethink things...pump probably on the frame, tools, tube, keys, and wallet on the seat post, and food in my back of my jersey.

I must be a Donkey, everything on my back in the pockets, nothing on the bike. :confused:

In the pockets. I guess I`m the exception to the rule huh?

For some bizarre reason I like the bike to look uncluttered so no bags or pumps attached...just 2 cages for bottles and a computer.

I travel light....a spare tube, a small patch kit with levers, mini pump and my health card, paper money and credit card in a plastic sleeve.

If I am riding out in the boondocks I will carry a cell phone.

Generally do not carry foodstuffs cause I can usually buy something on route.

Riding a bent allows me to carry a few tools (mainly a leatherman super tool, a spoke wrench, tire iron, patches, pump, and allen wrenches in one of the pouches on my backpack that is hooked to the back of the seat and which acts as a "tail box." When you consider the V-Rex you quickly notice that you try to limit the weight you carry, but when you do day rides on unimproved rail-trails like we do you don't want to be out on a section that is a couple of miles from any road and 20 miles from the nearest bike shop without the ability to make the simple repairs to keep you riding instead of walking. ;)