Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Increase trail or longer front center

Started by John Verheul · · Last activity · 23 posts · 1,584 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
17 May 2007
Last activity
24 May 2007
Original author
John Verheul
Posts
23
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,584
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 23
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Since moving out west (US) a couple years ago, practice as I might I just
    can't quite descend with riders who are otherwise of my ability. Recently,
    I've also been having a hard time cornering in criteriums at high speeds
    (over 30mph). Lower speed laps I'm fine, but I'm closing gaps on fast laps,
    and getting caught when I attack because I'm just not carrying as much speed
    as my competition.

    I practice plenty (have a 14 mile climb behind my house with switchbacks,
    and a local training crit), and it's my 21st season of racing, so I'm going
    to assume I've maximized the skills area as much as I can. The bike is also
    fine when at training speeds, it's just in relatively high speed
    descending/cornering situations I cannot get around the turns as quickly as
    I'd like.

    I'm slightly taller than average at 6'1", and don't use a lot of setback on
    my road bike (7-8cm), so I suspected I might have too much weight on the
    front wheel. Bathroom scale measurements indicate I don't. It's right around
    43/57 front/rear.

    So now I'm looking at frame geometry. I'm using a frame that has a steep
    74' head angle, and a 45mm raked fork. With a 23c tire that's only about
    4.9cm of trail, very low by most standards. Bike also has a pretty short
    front-center of 60cm (on a 60cm frame).

    My options to improve handling as I see it are:

    1) Get a 40 or 43mm raked fork, which would increase trail to 5.1 or 5.4
    respectively, more in what most people seem to feel is a more average range
    for a racing bike.

    2) Get a frame with a longer front center to move cg even further back in
    the wheelbase, thus keeping more weight off the front wheel in steep
    descending corners (but perhaps leading to front wheel washout in flat crit
    corners?).

    Any opinions? If I pick option 1, would you get a 40 or 43 rake fork, and
    why?

  2. John Verheul said:

    Since moving out west (US) a couple years ago, practice as I might I just
    can't quite descend with riders who are otherwise of my ability. Recently,
    I've also been having a hard time cornering in criteriums at high speeds
    (over 30mph). Lower speed laps I'm fine, but I'm closing gaps on fast laps,
    and getting caught when I attack because I'm just not carrying as much speed
    as my competition.

    I practice plenty (have a 14 mile climb behind my house with switchbacks,
    and a local training crit), and it's my 21st season of racing, so I'm going
    to assume I've maximized the skills area as much as I can. The bike is also
    fine when at training speeds, it's just in relatively high speed
    descending/cornering situations I cannot get around the turns as quickly as
    I'd like.

    I'm slightly taller than average at 6'1", and don't use a lot of setback on
    my road bike (7-8cm), so I suspected I might have too much weight on the
    front wheel. Bathroom scale measurements indicate I don't. It's right around
    43/57 front/rear.

    So now I'm looking at frame geometry. I'm using a frame that has a steep
    74' head angle, and a 45mm raked fork. With a 23c tire that's only about
    4.9cm of trail, very low by most standards. Bike also has a pretty short
    front-center of 60cm (on a 60cm frame).

    My options to improve handling as I see it are:

    1) Get a 40 or 43mm raked fork, which would increase trail to 5.1 or 5.4
    respectively, more in what most people seem to feel is a more average range
    for a racing bike.

    2) Get a frame with a longer front center to move cg even further back in
    the wheelbase, thus keeping more weight off the front wheel in steep
    descending corners (but perhaps leading to front wheel washout in flat crit
    corners?).

    Any opinions? If I pick option 1, would you get a 40 or 43 rake fork, and
    why?

    John,

    My impression is that there's nothing about your bike's geometry
    that's causing the problem. Most bikes within a reasonable range will
    corner just fine, so long as the 'driver' is willing to. Unless your
    bike loses traction at the speeds your talking about, or bursts into
    flames, or whatever, it's the rider and not the bike that's causing
    the problem.

    Having said that, it's also quite possible that your bike IS
    contributing to the problem in ways that the geometry doesn't have
    anything to do with. For example, I find that I'm much more willing
    to descend or corner faster on a bike with a stiffer fork and front
    end. I've found that a 'loose' feeling in the front end is a bit
    unnerving and the flexiness I feel is misinterpreted as the tires
    about to lose traction. With a stiffer frame, I'm more confident and
    thus descend/corner faster.

    For example, last year I switched from a reasonably stiff titanium
    frame to a Madone SL frame. Much stiffer headtube. I found that on a
    certain route near my home with some moderately tight, but not
    switchback tight, curves, I could take the descent at full speed and
    never feel the need to back off or to brake even a little bit. On the
    ti frame I always stopped pedalling and often felt compelled to scrub
    a little speed before entering the turns. Just wasn't sure enough
    that everything was okay. Considering that the wheels and tires were
    switched from one frame to another, the big difference was the
    frameset.

    Of course, if you're going to switch frames to something that's
    stiffer, you may as well try to maximize your position/fit on the new
    one while you're at it.

  3. Scott said:

    My impression is that there's nothing about your bike's geometry
    that's causing the problem. Most bikes within a reasonable range will
    corner just fine, so long as the 'driver' is willing to.

    I'm sure even John could dust me on a technical descent, but I find my descending is position-dependent. Going to a shorter stem seemed to help a lot. John's measurement of front wheel and rear wheel normal load, given preference to a reduced front wheel load, is consistent with this.

    I rode San Francisco -> Palo Alto this morning (41 miles), for Bike to Work Day, with a group including a guy on one of these:
    http://www.electrabike.com/04/images/townie_section/home_page/01.jpg

    He appeared to have a very low front wheel load, with his COM almost over his rear axle. It would be interesting to see how well that would handle a twisting descent. Unfortunately, we had none on our route.

    Dan

  4. is it possible to assemble the pieces both + and - then try each setup
    out in real time?

  5. John Verheul said:

    The bike is also
    fine when at training speeds, it's just in relatively high speed
    descending/cornering situations I cannot get around the turns as quickly as
    I'd like.

    I'm sure you could dust me on a technical descent as well... but you
    are racing against pros so the competition is pretty tough. I doubt
    that your frame, steering geometry, or weight distribution is an issue
    here. A steep geometry with little trail is *easier* to turn... if
    anything it would feel twitchy and sensitive when you want to relax. I
    used to have a steep and stiff frame and I liked it better for turns
    than what I have now. But hey... it's a bicycle... it takes very
    little muscle to get any of them to turn.

    What is actually slowing you down? You must be getting some sensation
    that causes you to back off. Is there noticeable flex in the bars,
    stem, or fork? Those things can contribute, but I don't think they are
    very important if you have good technique. After the turn is initiated
    there shouldn't be significant twisting or lateral forces on the bike.
    Maybe you tend to tense up in the turns... have you had a crash
    recently? Being "loose" and balanced with a light touch is important,
    I think.

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Verheul said:

    Since moving out west (US) a couple years ago, practice as I might I
    just can't quite descend with riders who are otherwise of my ability.
    Recently, I've also been having a hard time cornering in criteriums
    at high speeds (over 30mph). Lower speed laps I'm fine, but I'm
    closing gaps on fast laps, and getting caught when I attack because
    I'm just not carrying as much speed as my competition.

    I practice plenty (have a 14 mile climb behind my house with
    switchbacks, and a local training crit), and it's my 21st season of
    racing, so I'm going to assume I've maximized the skills area as much
    as I can. The bike is also fine when at training speeds, it's just in
    relatively high speed descending/cornering situations I cannot get
    around the turns as quickly as I'd like.

    I'm slightly taller than average at 6'1", and don't use a lot of
    setback on my road bike (7-8cm), so I suspected I might have too much
    weight on the front wheel. Bathroom scale measurements indicate I
    don't. It's right around 43/57 front/rear.

    So now I'm looking at frame geometry. I'm using a frame that has a
    steep 74' head angle, and a 45mm raked fork. With a 23c tire that's
    only about 4.9cm of trail, very low by most standards. Bike also has
    a pretty short front-center of 60cm (on a 60cm frame).

    My options to improve handling as I see it are:

    1) Get a 40 or 43mm raked fork, which would increase trail to 5.1 or
    5.4 respectively, more in what most people seem to feel is a more
    average range for a racing bike.

    2) Get a frame with a longer front center to move cg even further
    back in the wheelbase, thus keeping more weight off the front wheel
    in steep descending corners (but perhaps leading to front wheel
    washout in flat crit corners?).

    Any opinions? If I pick option 1, would you get a 40 or 43 rake fork,
    and why?

    I think the issue may be other than trail. Before you commit to
    spending money for changing your bike, borrow one with the front end
    geometry you're thinking and give it a try. 45 mm fork offset with 74
    degree head angle and 700 x 23s is a bit unusual but not beyond the
    pale. After all, lots of perfectly ridable bikes have trail numbers
    down into the 35 mm range (and up to 60 mm or so).

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end is
    going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to come
    around and slide out? Are you faster around left hand bends than right
    hand bends (or voce versa)?

    Have you tried different tires (e.g., 700 x 25 slicks)? Have you played
    with tore pressure (100 psi vs 110 psi vs 120) to see if that
    beneficially changes the feel of the bike?

    Are your shoulders tense? Death grip on the bars? Craning your neck to
    see the line through the corner? All of those can slow you down. Some
    fine tuning of your position might benefit.

  7. "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the issue may be other than trail. Before you commit to
    spending money for changing your bike, borrow one with the front end
    geometry you're thinking and give it a try. 45 mm fork offset with 74
    degree head angle and 700 x 23s is a bit unusual but not beyond the
    pale. After all, lots of perfectly ridable bikes have trail numbers
    down into the 35 mm range (and up to 60 mm or so).

    That's kind of the thing, the last bike I won a crit on (and felt more
    comfortable cornering on) was my 2004 Cannondale team bike, which had a bit
    more trail at 73.5 w/45mm rake. It's only in the last year or so I've been
    able to choose my own bike, I always had a team bike before this.

    Quoted message said:

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end is
    going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to come
    around and slide out?

    The latter, I feel like any line adjustment I have to make I'm going to put
    too much weight on the front wheel and wash the rear. Last tough descent I
    raced was a couple weeks ago (points as steep as 17%, with switchbacks),
    and I literally did slide the rear around a couple of the corners, which
    didn't help my confidence. To be fair, the guy dropping me is an ex-euro
    pro, but other local nobodies like me are able to hang better than I.

    This is what got me thinking about the front center distance. But the weight
    distribution tells me that's not so much the issue.

    Quoted message said:

    Are you faster around left hand bends than right
    hand bends (or voce versa)?

    Not really.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you tried different tires (e.g., 700 x 25 slicks)? Have you played
    with tore pressure (100 psi vs 110 psi vs 120) to see if that
    beneficially changes the feel of the bike?

    Yes on all accounts, and no not really any difference.

    Quoted message said:

    Are your shoulders tense? Death grip on the bars? Craning your neck to
    see the line through the corner? All of those can slow you down. Some
    fine tuning of your position might benefit.

    My front end is already pretty high for a racer (drop to bars is 10cm, has
    been as much as 13 at points in my life), and the position is great for
    everything else. I should mention I do professional bike fits myself.

    Relaxing in corners...yeah I practice that, and I know that staying loose on
    the bike is key. Sliding the rear wheel doesn't help with that (although I
    caught the slides and stayed up), there just seems to be some feedback
    coming from the bike, the "too far forward" sensation that's making me less
    comfortable in high speed corners.

    I should add, I'm fine on straight descents...get up over 50mph no problem,
    feel comfortable, typically can move up in groups in these situations. Same
    for low speed (<25mph) corners in crits. It's just when we go fast (and
    selections are made), I'm closing gaps after every corner.

  8. "Ron Ruff" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    What is actually slowing you down? You must be getting some sensation
    that causes you to back off.

    That's what I'm trying to identify, and thus solve.

    Quoted message said:

    Is there noticeable flex in the bars,
    stem, or fork? Those things can contribute, but I don't think they are
    very important if you have good technique. After the turn is initiated
    there shouldn't be significant twisting or lateral forces on the bike.

    Same bar/stem as prior year's bikes, fork is Reynolds Ouzo Pro, have used
    various front wheels, tires, tire pressures.

    Quoted message said:

    Maybe you tend to tense up in the turns... have you had a crash
    recently? Being "loose" and balanced with a light touch is important,
    I think.

    Yeah, no crashes recently...although maybe I'm just getting even more
    conservative as I get older. Knock on wood, I can't even remember my last
    road crash (in 'cross I crash often enough though).

  9. John Verheul said:

    "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    Quoted message said:

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end is
    going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to come
    around and slide out?

    The latter, I feel like any line adjustment I have to make I'm going to put
    too much weight on the front wheel and wash the rear. Last tough descent I
    raced was a couple weeks ago (points as steep as 17%, with switchbacks),
    and I literally did slide the rear around a couple of the corners, which
    didn't help my confidence.

    Whoa! Sliding the rear on smooth clean pavement? Assuming that you are
    using good tires, I don't know what to say about that... unless maybe
    you are really leaning over the front or using the brakes... or just
    going too fast for the line. You aren't pedaling I hope...

    Steep technical descents are extreme, but it puzzles me more that you
    are having the same problem in crits. I can't remember any crits I've
    been in where a turn could not be taken at 35+ mph, if I could pick my
    line. I'm sure they exist but they are not common.

    You've tried different tires and pressures... have you tried a
    different rear wheel?

  10. Ron Ruff said:

    I'm sure you could dust me on a technical descent as well... but you
    are racing against pros so the competition is pretty tough. I doubt
    that your frame, steering geometry, or weight distribution is an issue
    here. A steep geometry with little trail is *easier* to turn... if
    anything it would feel twitchy and sensitive when you want to relax. I
    used to have a steep and stiff frame and I liked it better for turns
    than what I have now. But hey... it's a bicycle... it takes very
    little muscle to get any of them to turn.

    The amount of muscle isn't the issue. It's how comfortable you feel. I feel more comfortable in turns with more stability. The bike feels like it's will track better. Twitchy and quick isn't what you want, here.

    I don't know why you doubt geometry is a factor. It doesn't take much to improve a sense of control. I could easily tell the difference with 2 cm off my stem. 1-2 cm of handlebar width also makes a difference. I've not experimented with trail.

    Dan

    P.S. I'm a slow descender, myself, so take this for what it's worth.

  11. John Verheul said:

    "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the issue may be other than trail. Before you commit to
    spending money for changing your bike, borrow one with the front end
    geometry you're thinking and give it a try. 45 mm fork offset with 74
    degree head angle and 700 x 23s is a bit unusual but not beyond the
    pale. After all, lots of perfectly ridable bikes have trail numbers
    down into the 35 mm range (and up to 60 mm or so).

    That's kind of the thing, the last bike I won a crit on (and felt more
    comfortable cornering on) was my 2004 Cannondale team bike, which had a bit
    more trail at 73.5 w/45mm rake. It's only in the last year or so I've been
    able to choose my own bike, I always had a team bike before this.

    Quoted message said:

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end is
    going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to come
    around and slide out?

    The latter, I feel like any line adjustment I have to make I'm going to put
    too much weight on the front wheel and wash the rear. Last tough descent I
    raced was a couple weeks ago (points as steep as 17%, with switchbacks),
    and I literally did slide the rear around a couple of the corners, which
    didn't help my confidence. To be fair, the guy dropping me is an ex-euro
    pro, but other local nobodies like me are able to hang better than I.

    This is what got me thinking about the front center distance. But the weight
    distribution tells me that's not so much the issue.

    Quoted message said:

    Are you faster around left hand bends than right
    hand bends (or voce versa)?

    Not really.

    Quoted message said:

    Have you tried different tires (e.g., 700 x 25 slicks)? Have you played
    with tore pressure (100 psi vs 110 psi vs 120) to see if that
    beneficially changes the feel of the bike?

    Yes on all accounts, and no not really any difference.

    Quoted message said:

    Are your shoulders tense? Death grip on the bars? Craning your neck to
    see the line through the corner? All of those can slow you down. Some
    fine tuning of your position might benefit.

    My front end is already pretty high for a racer (drop to bars is 10cm, has
    been as much as 13 at points in my life), and the position is great for
    everything else. I should mention I do professional bike fits myself.

    Relaxing in corners...yeah I practice that, and I know that staying loose on
    the bike is key. Sliding the rear wheel doesn't help with that (although I
    caught the slides and stayed up), there just seems to be some feedback
    coming from the bike, the "too far forward" sensation that's making me less
    comfortable in high speed corners.

    I should add, I'm fine on straight descents...get up over 50mph no problem,
    feel comfortable, typically can move up in groups in these situations. Same
    for low speed (<25mph) corners in crits. It's just when we go fast (and
    selections are made), I'm closing gaps after every corner.

    I've thought of one other thing. I heard once that one of the
    Carney's (the brothers, not folks who travel with carnivals) suggested
    setting up your brakes so that they don't really grab all that well
    until just before the levers contact the bars. That way when you
    'panic' you don't make things worse by over-breaking. It may help if
    you don't brake so much and loosening your brakes may help with that.
    I don't really suggest disconnecting them altogether.

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    John Verheul said:

    "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I think the issue may be other than trail. Before you commit to
    spending money for changing your bike, borrow one with the front
    end geometry you're thinking and give it a try. 45 mm fork offset
    with 74 degree head angle and 700 x 23s is a bit unusual but not
    beyond the pale. After all, lots of perfectly ridable bikes have
    trail numbers down into the 35 mm range (and up to 60 mm or so).

    That's kind of the thing, the last bike I won a crit on (and felt
    more comfortable cornering on) was my 2004 Cannondale team bike,
    which had a bit more trail at 73.5 w/45mm rake. It's only in the last
    year or so I've been able to choose my own bike, I always had a team
    bike before this.

    Quoted message said:

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end
    is going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to
    come around and slide out?

    The latter, I feel like any line adjustment I have to make I'm going
    to put too much weight on the front wheel and wash the rear. Last
    tough descent I raced was a couple weeks ago (points as steep as
    17%, with switchbacks), and I literally did slide the rear around a
    couple of the corners, which didn't help my confidence.

    I imagine not.

    Quoted message said:

    To be fair, the guy dropping me is an ex-euro pro, but other local
    nobodies like me are able to hang better than I.

    This is what got me thinking about the front center distance. But the
    weight distribution tells me that's not so much the issue.

    I still am not thinking that trail is the issue, although I could
    certainly be wrong due to bias (I like bikes with about 55 mm trail
    best, but I am also riding on wider tires which makes a difference).
    Usually low trail gives the steering a light feel that some people don't
    like. However, low trail bikes also tend to be less responsive to
    leaning the bike to turn- requiring more handlebar input- and maybe
    that's what's making the difference for you.

    This sort of thing is a real puzzle to figure out.

  13. Quoted message said:

    Usually low trail gives the steering a light feel that some people don't
    like. However, low trail bikes also tend to be less responsive to
    leaning the bike to turn- requiring more handlebar input- and maybe
    that's what's making the difference for you.

    That sort of strikes a chord with me...maybe this low trail bike (all my
    previous bikes have been 51 or more) just requires more hb input than I'm
    used to and/or comfortable with.

    Maybe I just need to grow a pair, dive into a couple fast corners and steer
    the damn bike. It's not like I don't have health insurance...or scars
    already.

    Quoted message said:

    This sort of thing is a real puzzle to figure out.

    Indeed.

    Thanks everyone for the thoughts so far.

  14. John Verheul said:

    . It's only in the last year or so I've been
    able to choose my own bike, I always had a team bike before this.

    Cry me a river ;-)
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  15. John Verheul said:

    Since moving out west (US) a couple years ago, practice as I might I just
    can't quite descend with riders who are otherwise of my ability. Recently,
    I've also been having a hard time cornering in criteriums at high speeds
    (over 30mph). Lower speed laps I'm fine, but I'm closing gaps on fast laps,
    and getting caught when I attack because I'm just not carrying as much speed
    as my competition.

    I practice plenty (have a 14 mile climb behind my house with switchbacks,
    and a local training crit), and it's my 21st season of racing, so I'm going
    to assume I've maximized the skills area as much as I can. The bike is also
    fine when at training speeds, it's just in relatively high speed
    descending/cornering situations I cannot get around the turns as quickly as
    I'd like.

    I'm slightly taller than average at 6'1", and don't use a lot of setback on
    my road bike (7-8cm), so I suspected I might have too much weight on the
    front wheel. Bathroom scale measurements indicate I don't. It's right around
    43/57 front/rear.

    So now I'm looking at frame geometry. I'm using a frame that has a steep
    74' head angle, and a 45mm raked fork. With a 23c tire that's only about
    4.9cm of trail, very low by most standards. Bike also has a pretty short
    front-center of 60cm (on a 60cm frame).

    My options to improve handling as I see it are:

    1) Get a 40 or 43mm raked fork, which would increase trail to 5.1 or 5.4
    respectively, more in what most people seem to feel is a more average range
    for a racing bike.

    2) Get a frame with a longer front center to move cg even further back in
    the wheelbase, thus keeping more weight off the front wheel in steep
    descending corners (but perhaps leading to front wheel washout in flat crit
    corners?).

    Any opinions? If I pick option 1, would you get a 40 or 43 rake fork, and
    why?

    As others have said, there may be more to it than geometry, like
    adequate frame stiffness. What bike are you on now?

    As far as steering geometry goes, I've ridden tons of different bikes
    and can relate. Skidding the rear in tight switchbacks too: I did that
    a couple of times a month or so ago in Mallorca while on a club
    training week there. Scared by teammates, and me too!

    I'd 1) get a stiffer frame (Scott and Cannondale measure stiffer than
    many others; the CAAD 5 a bit stiffer than the CAAD7), or 2) try a
    fork with less offset to get more trail (more like your old bike). I
    wouldn't mess around with 43 mm; go for 40 or so. IMHO, 2 mm just
    isn't enough of a change to know if adjusting trail is what you're
    after.

    Just looked up the head angles on Scott (73 or 73.3 on the larger
    sizes) and Cannondale (73.5 on the CAAD5). Both of these, especially
    the Cannondale, are closer to what you said your old bike was.


  16. Quoted message said:

    Any opinions? If I pick option 1, would you get a 40 or 43 rake fork, and
    why?


    -----------
    from someone who is not a racer, and doesn't like to descend.

    wider tires help, especially in the front.

    always counter-steer, don't lean.

    always descend on the hoods, not the drops (this helped the most, as the
    upright position does most of the braking, can actually see the road) With
    the wind pushing on your torso it pushes the weight back, as opposed to
    braking which puts the weight up front. Also you can ride on the pedals,
    instead of the saddle, and helps when you hit bumps. It took me a long time
    to figure this one out.

    I have bikes with less trail, and more trail. The more trail one is harder
    to turn, but gives you confidence because you really have to be active on
    the bike. With less trail the bike can turn on it's own, but sometimes
    makes you feel uneasy because you feel like a passenger on a run-away train.
    I perfer more trail, even though it's harder to turn, because it makes you
    feel like you are in control, also it seems to put the weight farther back.

  17. "Callistus Valerius" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    With less trail the bike can turn on it's own, but sometimes
    makes you feel uneasy because you feel like a passenger on a run-away
    train.

    This is the sensation I have...I'm thinking more and more it's the trail.

  18. <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    As others have said, there may be more to it than geometry, like
    adequate frame stiffness. What bike are you on now?

    Specialized E5. Oversized aluminum.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd 1) get a stiffer frame (Scott and Cannondale measure stiffer than
    many others; the CAAD 5 a bit stiffer than the CAAD7),

    CAAD5 was my team bike in 2001 - 2002, then we got CAAD7's from '03 - '04
    (and I kept riding through 2006, until a friend of mine fell on it and
    creased the seatstay). Yeah, these were better...but I don't have access to
    a C-Dale deal right now, so I was hoping to make the E5 a little better.

    Quoted message said:

    or 2) try a
    fork with less offset to get more trail (more like your old bike). I
    wouldn't mess around with 43 mm; go for 40 or so. IMHO, 2 mm just
    isn't enough of a change to know if adjusting trail is what you're
    after.

    Since I can get a fork for pretty cheap, I think I'm going to try this.

  19. John Verheul said:

    "Tim McNamara" <[email hidden]> wrote in message

    That's kind of the thing, the last bike I won a crit on (and felt more
    comfortable cornering on) was my 2004 Cannondale team bike, which had a bit
    more trail at 73.5 w/45mm rake. It's only in the last year or so I've been
    able to choose my own bike, I always had a team bike before this.

    Quoted message said:

    How does if feel in fast corners? Do you feel like the front end is
    going to wash out? Does if feel like the rear wheel is going to come
    around and slide out?

    The latter, I feel like any line adjustment I have to make I'm going to put
    too much weight on the front wheel and wash the rear. Last tough descent I
    raced was a couple weeks ago (points as steep as 17%, with switchbacks),
    and I literally did slide the rear around a couple of the corners, which
    didn't help my confidence. To be fair, the guy dropping me is an ex-euro
    pro, but other local nobodies like me are able to hang better than I.

    A lot of descending and cornering is mental. If you
    think it's the trail, then changing the trail is likely
    to help. I don't know if this is a placebo effect
    or if that's unfair since it's a genuine confidence
    issue. That said, I never liked bikes with a steep
    front end that are harder to ride no hands, and think
    this also makes descending sketchier. That said, I am
    a crummy descender anyway (for a racer; in the
    century-rider population there are even worse).

    Another thing. You mentioned not hanging with the locals.
    This doesn't apply to crits, just hills, but some places
    in the US just have way more long technical descents
    than others and so the locals get more practice. In
    Norcal there are plenty of tight twisty roads that drop
    1000-2000+ feet elevation. I'm sure there are some in
    New England, but not so much in some other places
    (like Pennsylvania).

    And one last thing. I never could hang with the locals
    on sketchy descents in Norcal (Alpine Road in particular),
    but they gave me a great piece of advice: "Never follow
    a pot smoker downhill."

    Ben

  20. Quoted message said:

    And one last thing. I never could hang with the locals
    on sketchy descents in Norcal (Alpine Road in particular),

    I'm fine on Alpine. But follow Dave Stahl or Kevin Merritt down Kings or Page? No way.

    Dan

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.