Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Indexing w/o slant parallelogram?

Started by Vega · · Last activity · 9 posts · 1,131 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
8 May 2003
Last activity
12 May 2003
Original author
Vega
Posts
9
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,131
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–9 of 9
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Well, maybe it's just a silly question, BUT I think i've seen some Shimano derailleurs (cheap
    models, but new, mounted on some "city bikes" with indexed shifting system) with a straight (not
    slant, I mean) parallelogram. Is it possible? Or just my mistake? Could they work well?

  2. vega-<< but new, mounted on some "city bikes" with indexed shifting system) with a straight (not
    slant, I mean) parallelogram. Is it possible? Or just my mistake? Could they work well?

    They are made slant parallogram with that L shaped mounting bracket that moves the der forward and
    up, W/o that bracket, they probably wouldn't index.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  3. I remember before Sun Tour figured out the geometry of the slant parallelogram, when derailleurs
    never worked for long. The Huret Allvit, I think it was, was the obvious geometry you needed and it
    always gunked up right away.

    Then the Sun Tour came out and you could also use it to drive tent pegs.

    I doubt they'd go back.

    Side note on indexing: having modified my SRAM MRX broken index shifter to be a friction shifter (by
    adding friction underneath) I'm actually quite happy with it. You don't miss indexing once you
    arrange it to stay put where you set it. The shifts are quieter and easier.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  4. 08 May 2003 10:18:56 -0400 Ron Hardin said:

    I remember before Sun Tour figured out the geometry of the slant parallelogram, when derailleurs
    never worked for long. The Huret Allvit, I think it was, was the obvious geometry you needed and it
    always gunked up right away.

    Then the Sun Tour came out and you could also use it to drive tent pegs.

    A Huret Alvit was also my first derailleur, but I think it's fair to say that the Alvit was the one
    you could use to drive tent pegs. ;-)

    -
    -----------------------------------------------
    Jim Adney [email hidden] Madison, WI 53711 USA
    -----------------------------------------------

  5. I believe the "slant" you are referring to is the angle that allows the derailleur to follow the
    profile of the cogs.

    On a straight derailleur (do they still make those?) the jockey roller (the top one that actually
    shifts the chain) would probably get to far away from the cogs to index .

    If memory serves, they barely shifted, period.

    May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills! Chris

    Chris'Z Corner "The Website for the Common Bicyclist": geocities.comczcorner

  6. Chris-<< If memory serves, they barely shifted, period.

    Altho not the 'automatic transmission' type of shift with indexing, friction shifters and
    'straight'rear ders work just fine. I use a C-Record rear der, 7s Regina America freewheel and
    friction shifters and I have no problem finding gears.

    Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 vecchios.comvecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  7. Qui si parla Campagnolo said:


    Chris-<< If memory serves, they barely shifted, period.

    Altho not the 'automatic transmission' type of shift with indexing, friction shifters and
    'straight'rear ders work just fine. I use a C-Record rear der, 7s Regina America freewheel and
    friction shifters and I have no problem finding gears.

    The trouble with the Huret Alvit was that it gunked up, so would not upshift at all, very soon. The
    geometry of the slant Sun Tour solved that; it continued to work in normal use, not predictably
    failing in a week.

    Friction shifters are fine.
    --
    Ron Hardin [email hidden]

    On the internet, nobody knows you're a jerk.

  8. Chris Zacho 'The Wheelman said:

    On a straight derailleur (do they still make those?) the jockey roller (the top one that actually
    shifts the chain) would probably get to far away from the cogs to index .

    If memory serves, they barely shifted, period.

    But they were superb Italian engineering, so it was the users fault.

    --
    Andy Morris

    AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

    Love this: Put an end to Outlook Express's messy quotes
    home.in.tum.deoe quotefix

  9. "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I believe the "slant" you are referring to is the angle that allows the derailleur to follow the
    profile of the cogs.

    On a straight derailleur (do they still make those?) the jockey roller (the top one that actually
    shifts the chain) would probably get to far away from the cogs to index .

    If memory serves, they barely shifted, period.

    That's a bit of an overstatement, even allowing that Suntour's slant parallelogran design is
    superior. (My Svelto on a twelve tooth range front and back, f'rinstance)

    --
    Andrew Muzi yellowjersey.orgyellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.