indoor vs outdoor ratios?

mennitt

Feb 9, 2007
does anyone know the ratio to cardiovascular benefits and caloric benefits of stationary cycling vs outdoor?

All I know is that one is really really boring. The other is interesting and fun.

I was wondering on the bike this morning during a particuarly bumpy bit of road with a cross wind.... would someone with a better power output on an indoor trainer necessarily be faster along this stretch (assuming same size as me).

pffft. I wrote a bunch of stuff but it was a little OT

mennitt said:
does anyone know the ratio to cardiovascular benefits and caloric benefits of stationary cycling vs outdoor?
Forgive my ignorance. What is a caloric benefit? Do we mean calories "burned" in one scenario vs another?

Presumably it is simply power output x time (x an efficiency constant) and is independent of venue. Assuming one can put out similar power indoors or outdoors, then it's a matter of which venue you can ride the longest....

But on a per hour basis, I don't see any difference if power output is the same.

I can see a potential difference in the power output b/n what's measureable vs actual. On a stationary, you don't have to spend energy on steering and other road related motions. Although insignificant compared with what's being put on the pedals, it can still be a difference.

I would think you used more calories indoors. It is true that you don't use energy for steering etc, but you do not coast either. You always have to pedal which means there is less downtime iow you use your muscles more.

Capisce said:
I would think you used more calories indoors. It is true that you don't use energy for steering etc, but you do not coast either. You always have to pedal which means there is less downtime iow you use your muscles more.
Never if you are on a fixie!

I do a lot of trainer time because of my job situation-I'm a Paramedic FF and at the staion for 24 hour shifts. Anyway, I find it takes a lot more effort to get my heart rate up compared to outside. Ie, more muscular effort in smaller gears to get the HR up. What would say 1 hour on a trainer is equal to outside? Or is there a difference. thanks.