"Rik O'Shea" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
"]news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Stewart Fleming <[email hidden]> wrote in message
Quoted message said:Lance most assuredly was NOT in yellow in 1993. He won a stage into Verdun. That is all.
Dear Stewart, thank you for this clarification. You are indeed correct, Armstrong was not in
yellow in 1993 and I do apologise for this mistake as I had confused this with the stage 9 1994
Tour where he wore the World Road Race Champion's jerseyI have checked my tapes for the direct information. It was actually 1994 were Armstrong was in 8th
and Indurain in 7th position going into the stage 9 Périgueux-Bergerac, 64 km ITT.Armstrong started 2 minutes in front of Indurain and the strategy as outlined by his Motorola
director sportif was to not go out 100%, efectively keeping some reserves for when Indurain would
eventually pass him and to work off Indurain's pace (yes use Indurain as a pace maker of sorts).
The goal was to try to limit his losses to "only" 3 to 4 minutes to Indurain.It is true to say that Armstrong (resplendent in his World Championship jersey) was indeed working
at his aerobic maximum to hold onto Indurain's pace. Despite this Armstrong finished 6'23" behind
Indurain.
Indeed, since you say so it must be true. You have the wrong year, the wrong jersey and yet you
insist that you can tell by the tapes that Lance was "indeed working at his aerobic maximum" to hold
onto Indurain's pace. Even if that were true, he probably went too hard to try to pace himself (now
that we are in the right year, I know which ITT you are talking about) and then faded when he blew.
I think he made some comments to that affect afterwards. I do not think the interview is not the WCP
tape. Oh well, no matter. Back to your theory then?
Quoted message said:
In the televised interview afterwards Armstrong explained that he would never beat Indurain in the
Tour and his goal was to try to improve his time trial capability by 1" (one minute) a year.I hope this explanation rectifies my earlier mistake.
Sure, everyone makes mistakes, but don't you think that it can be said that Lance did not have any
reason to go at his maximum during any pre-cancer Tours?
Quoted message said:
Thanks & regards R