Inflate Shock on R42?

LMO

Guest
Aloha all. I have a 1998 Vision R42, with an air suspended frame.
Problem is I don't know what I should inflate the shock to. I'm afraid to
make it real stiff (which I like) as I don't want to blow out the shock.
Anyone know how hard I can make it?
Thanks.

--
LMO
"O Wad some Powr, the Giftie Gie us,

LMO wrote:
> Aloha all. I have a 1998 Vision R42, with an air suspended frame.
> Problem is I don't know what I should inflate the shock to. I'm afraid to
> make it real stiff (which I like) as I don't want to blow out the shock.
> Anyone know how hard I can make it?...

You may be able to download a manual, e.g. if the shock is a Cane Creek
[1], the manuals are located here [2]. For what is worth, the Cane
Creek shocks have a listed range of 110 to 250 psi.

[1] Commonly used on rear suspended recumbent bicycles.
[2] <http://www.canecreek.com/shocks_manuals.html>.

--
Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
Post Free or Die!

Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman wrote:
> LMO wrote:
> > Aloha all. I have a 1998 Vision R42, with an air suspended frame.
> > Problem is I don't know what I should inflate the shock to. I'm afraid to
> > make it real stiff (which I like) as I don't want to blow out the shock.
> > Anyone know how hard I can make it?...

> You may be able to download a manual, e.g. if the shock is a Cane Creek
> [1], the manuals are located here [2]. For what is worth, the Cane
> Creek shocks have a listed range of 110 to 250 psi.
>
> [1] Commonly used on rear suspended recumbent bicycles.
> [2] <http://www.canecreek.com/shocks_manuals.html>.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Behind the Cheddar Curtain
> Post Free or Die!

PSI on a cane creek should be 10 to 15psi above your body weight

Hey, many thanks! It's the AD-5.

news:[email protected]...

bill wrote:

> PSI on a cane creek should be 10 to 15psi above your body weight

What's this - a legitimate recumbent issue? I used to visit this site
several times daily ... now maybe once a month.

At any rate the pressure in the shock depends on the application and
your own riding style (if you are a "masher" you will need higher
pressure to prevent "pogoing") as much as it does on the brand/model of
shock.

For the 1998 Vision 42, bill is right, 10-15 psi+body weight is a good
starting point. The Visions (and I suppose others as well) tend to
pogo much more when climbing in low gear, so if you are doing hilly
riding, use more pressure. If however, you dont have any big hills and
want the maximum suspension benefit, you may want to try decreasing
pressure to the point that the pogoing becomes a negative.

The newer Visions (beginning in 2000) are much less susceptible to
pogoing, so anyone with a 2000-2003 may want to start the pressure at
approximately 2/3 of body weight.