****ing bairns

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by soup, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. soup

    soup Guest

    Went to go on a longish trip (18 miles) with my eldest today (12)
    (a really nice day, wife was out with youngest, so we had all day
    he has done a slightly longer route in the past so no worries
    about him being able to complete it just the time it would take
    but had planned a stop at the "Ratho inn" anyway) got about ½
    a mile from the house and his back tire was flat ,thought mm I'll
    need to fix the p*nct*r* then we can be on our way.
    Then son decides to inform me "thought it needed air before
    we had set off" "why didn't you tell me we could have checked
    it before we had left home" got the p*nct*r*e fixed (I thought)
    got about another half mile and it was flat again in my defense
    I had fixed the obvious little hole not the opposite side that
    was sliced, then I noticed the tyre was cut right through
    "oh that must have been the big pile of glass I cycled
    through yesterday " ended up walking home (to try and save
    what I could of the tube).
    Pardon me ranting but this was a perfect day to go cycling
    with him now I am stuck indoors babysitting him (yes at 12
    if it was down to me he could sit in the house [or go out and play]
    himself at this age but his mother has different ideas)
    --
    yours S

  2. the.Mark

    the.Mark Guest

    soup wrote:
    > Went to go on a longish trip (18 miles) with my eldest today
    > (12) (a really nice day, wife was out with youngest, so we had
    > all day he has done a slightly longer route in the past so no
    > worries about him being able to complete it just the time it
    > would take but had planned a stop at the "Ratho inn" anyway)
    > got about ½
    > a mile from the house and his back tire was flat ,thought mm
    > I'll need to fix the p*nct*r* then we can be on our way.
    > Then son decides to inform me "thought it needed air before
    > we had set off" "why didn't you tell me we could have checked
    > it before we had left home" got the p*nct*r*e fixed (I thought)
    > got about another half mile and it was flat again in my defense
    > I had fixed the obvious little hole not the opposite side that
    > was sliced, then I noticed the tyre was cut right through
    > "oh that must have been the big pile of glass I cycled
    > through yesterday " ended up walking home (to try and save
    > what I could of the tube).
    > Pardon me ranting but this was a perfect day to go cycling
    > with him now I am stuck indoors babysitting him (yes at 12
    > if it was down to me he could sit in the house [or go out and
    > play] himself at this age but his mother has different ideas)

    We left our two (13 & 14) in this morning when we went out for a quick run.
    It was the first run on the Windcheetah this year [1]. Juniper Green -
    Balerno - Harlaw Road - down Kirkgate to Currie and back home. Quite a good
    run, the A70 was fairly quiet and the other roads were very quiet.
    The run down Kirkgate was excellent the computer read MAX 46.4 MPH.

    Typically for a teenager when we got back we found our oldest still in bed.

    [1] I decided that the roads had been washed enough of the salt that had
    recently been put down.
    --
    Mark

    1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

  3. soup

    soup Guest

    the.Mark popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
    said
    > soup wrote:

    <snip tale of frustrations>
    > We left our two (13 & 14) in this morning when we went out for a
    > quick run. It was the first run on the Windcheetah this year
    > The run down Kirkgate was excellent the computer read MAX 46.4 MPH.

    Have been down the "Kirkgate" a few times usually in convoy with
    the boys, think I too could get massive speeds down there, if my
    head wasn't on a swivel ("slow down your wee brother is toiling")
    or if I had three wheels (thinks mmm not a good enough reason to
    join the dark side) or if "they" would resurface it so it wasn't like a
    ploughed field .
    Liked my youngests description of the cemetary at the bottom
    (Currie kirk) "where the dead people live".

    --
    yours S

  4. soup

    soup Guest

    soup popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and said
    > the.Mark popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
    > said
    > > soup wrote:

    > <snip tale of frustrations>
    > > We left our two (13 & 14) in this morning when we went out for a
    > > quick run. It was the first run on the Windcheetah this year
    > > The run down Kirkgate was excellent the computer read MAX 46.4 MPH.

    > Have been down the "Kirkgate" a few times usually in convoy with
    > the boys, think I too could get massive speeds down there, if my
    > head wasn't on a swivel ("slow down your wee brother is toiling")
    > or if I had three wheels (thinks mmm not a good enough reason to
    > join the dark side) or if "they" would resurface it so it wasn't like
    > a ploughed field .
    > Liked my youngests description of the cemetary at the bottom
    > (Currie kirk) "where the dead people live".

    As to the 12 year old not being considered old enough to look after
    himself, wife is a tad overprotective as the youngest, though ten, has
    the mental age of a five year old and spent the first 14 months of his
    life in the Simpson, he was on "Reporting Scotland" (spot the claim
    to fame [my son was on RS]) and goes to a "special" school. So
    I can understand (if not agree with) her being overprotective of my
    older "normal" son

    --
    yours S

  5. soup wrote:
    > Went to go on a longish trip (18 miles) with my eldest today (12)

    > got about ½ a mile from the house and his back tire was flat ,thought
    > mm I'll need to fix the p*nct*r* then we can be on our way.

    <etc.>

    12-year-olds can fix their own punctures. Mine certainly will when they
    reach that age.

    --
    Mark.
    http://tranchant.plus.com/

  6. soup

    soup Guest

    Mark Tranchant popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on
    and said
    > soup wrote:
    > > Went to go on a longish trip (18 miles) with my eldest today (12)

    > > got about ½ a mile from the house and his back tire was flat
    > > ,thought mm I'll need to fix the p*nct*r* then we can be on our way.

    > <etc.>
    >
    > 12-year-olds can fix their own punctures. Mine certainly will when
    > they reach that age.

    For "I" read "we"

    To be honest he did do 75% of the work but it was one
    of those occasions where it actually seemed to be easier
    to do it yourself rather than watching someone else.
    If I hadn't been there I have no doubt he could have fixed
    it himself

    --
    yours S