[email protected]#$ing frame pump quit working!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by wle, Apr 15, 2004.

  1. wle

    wle Guest

    i cannot keep a frame pump working.
    this is about my 6th one, most were returned to the lbs.
    usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a flat.
    i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
    :(

    latest problem [which i have had before]:
    pump is a topeak speedblaster.
    not a mini.

    anyway, what it does is this:
    it seems to pump fine,
    or rather, it would, if it would take in any air.

    when you pull the handle out, it wants to
    to spring back into the pump, because it doesn;t draw any air in.

    it will - if you wait about 5 seconds between strokes, but
    with 150 strokes required to go to decent pressure, that is a problem.

    in trying to fix it, i did the following tests.

    pour water into pump barrel
    it goes out the tire end just fine, so there is no obstruction there

    remove the o ring on the piston.
    strangely, the problem persists
    the piston fits securely enough that it can still
    not get any air in
    it even seems to be able to pump somewhat

    oil the o ring [after replacing it]
    no change

    so where does the one-way action happen?

    you would think the o ring would do that//

    //and with no o ring, it
    a. couldn;t pump at all but
    b. could draw air in just fine.

    what the hell is going on?

    how complicated can these things be?

    is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?

    wle.

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 15 Apr 2004 15:57:31 -0700, [email protected] (wle) may have said:

    >so where does the one-way action happen?

    If the piston had a cup-type seal, that would double as the check
    valve that allows air into the cylinder. If they're using an o-ring
    on the piston, then the air inlet valve is elsewhere, and as you
    surmise, it's likely blocked or stuck. I have not dissected that
    exact brand and model as far as I know, but of the two frame pumps I
    possess, one has that type of piston and has had its inlet valve fail
    to work. On that one, the valve was a plastic disc on the face of the
    piston (which had a hollow pump rod to admit the air), and the disc
    had adhered to the piston. I don't know what design yours uses, and
    if you dissect it, the warranty is probably going to be history.
    Perhaps it's time to change to a different brand...

  3. GaryG

    GaryG Guest

    C-O-2

    (sorry for top-posting, but it seemed appropriate).

    GG

    "wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > i cannot keep a frame pump working.
    > this is about my 6th one, most were returned to the lbs.
    > usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a flat.
    > i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
    > :(
    >
    > latest problem [which i have had before]:
    > pump is a topeak speedblaster.
    > not a mini.
    >
    > anyway, what it does is this:
    > it seems to pump fine,
    > or rather, it would, if it would take in any air.
    >
    > when you pull the handle out, it wants to
    > to spring back into the pump, because it doesn;t draw any air in.
    >
    > it will - if you wait about 5 seconds between strokes, but
    > with 150 strokes required to go to decent pressure, that is a problem.
    >
    > in trying to fix it, i did the following tests.
    >
    > pour water into pump barrel
    > it goes out the tire end just fine, so there is no obstruction there
    >
    > remove the o ring on the piston.
    > strangely, the problem persists
    > the piston fits securely enough that it can still
    > not get any air in
    > it even seems to be able to pump somewhat
    >
    > oil the o ring [after replacing it]
    > no change
    >
    > so where does the one-way action happen?
    >
    > you would think the o ring would do that//
    >
    > //and with no o ring, it
    > a. couldn;t pump at all but
    > b. could draw air in just fine.
    >
    > what the hell is going on?
    >
    > how complicated can these things be?
    >
    > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
    >
    > wle.

  4. daveornee

    daveornee Guest

    Wle wrote:
    > i cannot keep a frame pump working. this is about my 6th one, most were
    > returned to the lbs. usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a
    > flat. i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
    > :(
    > latest problem [which i have had before]: pump is a topeak speedblaster.
    > not a mini.
    > anyway, what it does is this: it seems to pump fine, or rather, it
    > would, if it would take in any air.
    > when you pull the handle out, it wants to to spring back into the pump,
    > because it doesn;t draw any air in.
    > it will - if you wait about 5 seconds between strokes, but with 150
    > strokes required to go to decent pressure, that is a problem.
    > in trying to fix it, i did the following tests.
    > pour water into pump barrel it goes out the tire end just fine, so there
    > is no obstruction there
    > remove the o ring on the piston. strangely, the problem persists the
    > piston fits securely enough that it can still not get any air in it even
    > seems to be able to pump somewhat
    > oil the o ring [after replacing it] no change
    > so where does the one-way action happen?
    > you would think the o ring would do that//
    > //and with no o ring, it
    > a. couldn;t pump at all but
    > b. could draw air in just fine.
    > what the hell is going on?
    > how complicated can these things be?
    > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
    > wle.

    I agree with the other poster's analysis, but I would give Topeak a
    chance to resolve the problem. I have had 100% success with them and
    their service organization. I have been using their Morph pumps in road
    and Mountain service. With your luck, you might want to also carry a CO2
    inflator as a back up.

    --

  5. wle

    wle Guest

    > > how complicated can these things be?
    > > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
    > > wle.

    i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
    but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
    clue to the problem..

    wle.

  6. WTF,O

    WTF,O Guest

    "wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > > how complicated can these things be?
    > > > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
    > > > wle.

    > i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
    > but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
    > clue to the problem..
    >
    > wle.

    Had my Topeak Road Morph pump for about 5 years and it works fine. Keep it
    in the small pack I wear while riding though. Saved a few CO2 inflator
    carriers a long walk in that time.

    Cal

  7. wle wrote:
    > i cannot keep a frame pump working.
    > this is about my 6th one, most were returned to the lbs.
    > usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a flat.
    > i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
    > :(

    The Zefal hpx is probably the best frame pump. Just make sure you don't
    drop it, as the body is aluminium and can be dented.

  8. stu

    stu Guest

    "wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > > how complicated can these things be?
    > > > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
    > > > wle.

    > i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
    > but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
    > clue to the problem..
    >
    > wle.

    do you have it mounted on the frame?
    I have found that they get covered in grit and the first time you use them
    it gets sucked into the works(this left me on the side of the road in the
    rain pulling the pump apart with a screw driver and washing the insides out
    in a creek). since then I wrap the pump in a plastic freezer bag before
    clipping it into its mount, no more problems.
    hope this helps
    stuart

  9. wle

    wle Guest

    > > i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
    > > but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
    > > clue to the problem..
    > >
    > > wle.

    > do you have it mounted on the frame?
    > I have found that they get covered in grit and the first time you use them
    > it gets sucked into the works(this left me on the side of the road in the
    > rain pulling the pump apart with a screw driver and washing the insides out
    > in a creek). since then I wrap the pump in a plastic freezer bag before
    > clipping it into its mount, no more problems.
    > hope this helps

    yes i do but that wasn;t it.
    good suggestion though.

    the problem was that somehow, do not ask me how, [heat? water?]
    the piston had swelled to where it was not letting air in on the
    out-stroke.
    i just ground it down a little and voila.
    [this was an o-ring seal type, but the o ring only
    compresses and makes a seal in one direction, otherwise it
    should be flapping in the breeze as new air enters, now it is doing that.]
    i never thought that could be the problem but finally, nothing
    else was it either. :0

    wle.

    > stuart

  10. wle