!@#$ing frame pump quit working!

wle

Guest
i cannot keep a frame pump working.
this is about my 6th one, most were returned to the lbs.
usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a flat.
i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
:(

latest problem [which i have had before]:
pump is a topeak speedblaster.
not a mini.

anyway, what it does is this:
it seems to pump fine,
or rather, it would, if it would take in any air.

when you pull the handle out, it wants to
to spring back into the pump, because it doesn;t draw any air in.

it will - if you wait about 5 seconds between strokes, but
with 150 strokes required to go to decent pressure, that is a problem.

in trying to fix it, i did the following tests.

pour water into pump barrel
it goes out the tire end just fine, so there is no obstruction there

remove the o ring on the piston.
strangely, the problem persists
the piston fits securely enough that it can still
not get any air in
it even seems to be able to pump somewhat

oil the o ring [after replacing it]
no change

so where does the one-way action happen?

you would think the o ring would do that//

//and with no o ring, it
a. couldn;t pump at all but
b. could draw air in just fine.

what the hell is going on?

how complicated can these things be?

is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?

wle.

On 15 Apr 2004 15:57:31 -0700, [email protected] (wle) may have said:

>so where does the one-way action happen?

If the piston had a cup-type seal, that would double as the check
valve that allows air into the cylinder. If they're using an o-ring
on the piston, then the air inlet valve is elsewhere, and as you
surmise, it's likely blocked or stuck. I have not dissected that
exact brand and model as far as I know, but of the two frame pumps I
possess, one has that type of piston and has had its inlet valve fail
to work. On that one, the valve was a plastic disc on the face of the
piston (which had a hollow pump rod to admit the air), and the disc
had adhered to the piston. I don't know what design yours uses, and
if you dissect it, the warranty is probably going to be history.
Perhaps it's time to change to a different brand...

C-O-2

(sorry for top-posting, but it seemed appropriate).

GG

news:[email protected]...

Wle wrote:
> i cannot keep a frame pump working. this is about my 6th one, most were
> returned to the lbs. usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a
> flat. i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
> :(
> latest problem [which i have had before]: pump is a topeak speedblaster.
> not a mini.
> anyway, what it does is this: it seems to pump fine, or rather, it
> would, if it would take in any air.
> when you pull the handle out, it wants to to spring back into the pump,
> because it doesn;t draw any air in.
> it will - if you wait about 5 seconds between strokes, but with 150
> strokes required to go to decent pressure, that is a problem.
> in trying to fix it, i did the following tests.
> pour water into pump barrel it goes out the tire end just fine, so there
> is no obstruction there
> remove the o ring on the piston. strangely, the problem persists the
> piston fits securely enough that it can still not get any air in it even
> seems to be able to pump somewhat
> oil the o ring [after replacing it] no change
> so where does the one-way action happen?
> you would think the o ring would do that//
> //and with no o ring, it
> a. couldn;t pump at all but
> b. could draw air in just fine.
> what the hell is going on?
> how complicated can these things be?
> is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
> wle.

I agree with the other poster's analysis, but I would give Topeak a
chance to resolve the problem. I have had 100% success with them and
their service organization. I have been using their Morph pumps in road
and Mountain service. With your luck, you might want to also carry a CO2
inflator as a back up.

--

> > how complicated can these things be?
> > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
> > wle.

i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
clue to the problem..

wle.

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > how complicated can these things be?
> > > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
> > > wle.

> i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
> but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
> clue to the problem..
>
> wle.

Had my Topeak Road Morph pump for about 5 years and it works fine. Keep it
in the small pack I wear while riding though. Saved a few CO2 inflator
carriers a long walk in that time.

Cal

wle wrote:
> i cannot keep a frame pump working.
> this is about my 6th one, most were returned to the lbs.
> usually you don;t know til you are trying to fix a flat.
> i seem to get about 3 fixes out of each pump..
> :(

The Zefal hpx is probably the best frame pump. Just make sure you don't
drop it, as the body is aluminium and can be dented.

"wle" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > > how complicated can these things be?
> > > is there some micro hole in the piston that is clogged?
> > > wle.

> i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
> but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
> clue to the problem..
>
> wle.

do you have it mounted on the frame?
I have found that they get covered in grit and the first time you use them
it gets sucked into the works(this left me on the side of the road in the
rain pulling the pump apart with a screw driver and washing the insides out
in a creek). since then I wrap the pump in a plastic freezer bag before
clipping it into its mount, no more problems.
hope this helps
stuart

> > i should also say that i ride in the rain, the thing gets wet,
> > but not that often, and that shouldn;t hurt it, but maybe it;s a
> > clue to the problem..
> >
> > wle.

> do you have it mounted on the frame?
> I have found that they get covered in grit and the first time you use them
> it gets sucked into the works(this left me on the side of the road in the
> rain pulling the pump apart with a screw driver and washing the insides out
> in a creek). since then I wrap the pump in a plastic freezer bag before
> clipping it into its mount, no more problems.
> hope this helps

yes i do but that wasn;t it.
good suggestion though.

the problem was that somehow, do not ask me how, [heat? water?]
the piston had swelled to where it was not letting air in on the
out-stroke.
i just ground it down a little and voila.
[this was an o-ring seal type, but the o ring only
compresses and makes a seal in one direction, otherwise it
should be flapping in the breeze as new air enters, now it is doing that.]
i never thought that could be the problem but finally, nothing
else was it either. :0

wle.