UK and Europe · Public discussion

innocent motorists

Started by Ian Smith · · Last activity · 28 posts · 983 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
17 September 2004
Last activity
25 October 2004
Original author
Ian Smith
Posts
28
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
983
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–28 of 28
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Dave Kahn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simonb said:
    Clive George said:

    "Martin Wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Er - you're talking nonsense. Cameras work on numberplates, not the
    tax disc. Automatically reading the latter would be really quite hard.

    On my way out of Hamble last week I cycled past a white camera van parked


    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the station layby. Marked on its side was "Vehicle Licence Camera Unit".


    So

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    there.

    Interestingly, It had the side-effect of making motorists slow down to


    30mph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    until they'd passed it, which was interesting as it's a 40 limit along
    there!

    But is it reading the tax discs or the numberplates? Having read each
    plate it's simply a matter of looking it up in the database to see
    whether a tax disc has been issued. Gone are the days when you could
    get away with the label from a Guinness bottle.

    I suspect thats the correct explanation. Way too difficult to read a tax
    disk and as you point out, no need to. Also, what do you do if you
    *cant*read it ..."the vehicle didnt have a tax disk but we dont know what it
    was as we didnt record its license plate"?

    --
    Tumbleweed

    email replies not necessary but to contact use;
    tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

  2. (Simon Mason) said:

    You should see the fun and games caused by the new bus only lane
    outside Queen's Gardens. Traffic wardens are directing cars back down
    Guildhall Road and they are not happy bunnies!

    The sheer brass neck of these people. They blatantly ignore the law
    and then have the gall to act indignantly when they're caught.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  3. Tumbleweed said:

    "Dave Kahn" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Simonb said:

    Clive George wrote:

    >"Martin Wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    >news:[email hidden]...

    >Er - you're talking nonsense. Cameras work on numberplates, not the
    >tax disc. Automatically reading the latter would be really quite hard.

    On my way out of Hamble last week I cycled past a white camera van parked

    in

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    the station layby. Marked on its side was "Vehicle Licence Camera Unit".

    So

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    there.

    Interestingly, It had the side-effect of making motorists slow down to

    30mph

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    until they'd passed it, which was interesting as it's a 40 limit along
    there!

    But is it reading the tax discs or the numberplates? Having read each
    plate it's simply a matter of looking it up in the database to see
    whether a tax disc has been issued. Gone are the days when you could
    get away with the label from a Guinness bottle.


    Given the method of taxing your car, it's impossible that this database
    could ever be up to date. Let alone the method of accessing it realtime,
    from a van?

    Quoted message said:

    I suspect thats the correct explanation. Way too difficult to read a tax
    disk and as you point out, no need to. Also, what do you do if you
    *cant*read it ..."the vehicle didnt have a tax disk but we dont know what it
    was as we didnt record its license plate"?


    ....haven't they just started putting barcodes on tax disks? It's a bit
    difficult to tell from NZ, but I'm sure my last car had one. Why else
    would they be there other than to be scanned.

  4. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    'The trouble with the facts about the law-breaking of the motorists
    and the motor interests is that there are too many: it is difficult
    even to grasp them. In fact, the position has long since passed far
    beyond the limits of ordinary law-breaking and become an exhibition of
    national degeneracy.'

    This is the .sig on my private email, since about four months ago :-)

    Guy

    Good one!

    Cheers,

    Howard.

    P.s another quote for you. This one is from A.W. Rumney's 'A cyclist's
    note book'. This is a diary compiled in 1899 by Rumney who was to edit
    the CTC Gazette for many years. This entry is from 10 October 1899.

    (Speaking of the automobile)

    'We want people to know we are coming and get out of our way; and we
    shall add to the din by tooting a horn that the angel Gabriel would be
    proud of if his object was to wake the dead by making the loudest and
    most disagreeable noise possible. No matter if we leave a trail of
    odour behind that makes the sulphurous fumes of the infernal regions
    smell sweet by contrast; no matter that the machine is so little under
    control as to speed and direction that we smash into cabs, bicycles
    and pedestrians; the one fact remains, it will go, and go fast, and
    that is what we want.'

    Another, this time from ‘The Art of Cycling by Nigel Spencer written
    in 1947:

    'The carnage which occurs on our national roads presents a problem of
    the gravest importance. Unfortunately the tremendous toll of lives is
    rarely the result of an accident pure and simple; most of the
    so-called accidents are the outcome of carelessness, thoughtlessness,
    selfishness and stupidity, together with ignorance and inefficiency,
    and behaviour of this kind exhibited by any class of road user is no
    less criminal than malicious violence...'

    Finally, from a turn of the (19th) century copy of Punch...

    The Motorcrat.

    I AM he: goggled and unashamed. Furred also am I, stop-watched and
    horse-powerful. millions admit my sway-on both sides of the road. The
    Plutocrat has money; I have motors. The Democrat has the rates; so
    have I- two- one for use and one for County Courts. The Autocrat dead,
    but I- I increase and multiply. I have taken his place.

    I blow my horn and people scatter. I stand still and everything
    trembles. I move and kill dogs. I skid and chickens die. I pass
    swiftly from place to place, and horses bolt in dust storms which
    cover the land. I make dust storms. For I an Omnipotent; I make
    everything. I make dust, I make smell, I make noise. And I go forward,
    ever forward, and pass though or over almost everything. "Over or
    Through" is my motto.

    The roads were made for me; years ago they were made. Wise rulers saw
    me coming and made roads. Now that I am come they go on making roads-
    making them up. For I break things. Roads I break and Rules of the
    Road. Statutory limits were made for me. I break them. I break the
    dull silence of the country. Sometimes I break down, and thousands
    flock round me, so that I dislocate the traffic. But I am the Traffic.

    I am I and She is She- the rest get out of the way. Truly, the hand
    which rules the motor rocks the world.

  5. in message <[email hidden]>, Steve ([email hidden]'😉

    Quoted message said:

    Given the method of taxing your car, it's impossible that this
    database could ever be up to date. Let alone the method of accessing
    it realtime, from a van?

    How long is it since you bought a tax disk? These days, they swipe them
    through a bar code reader and the details are on the DVLC computer
    before you even get out of the post-office, and available on the
    computer terminals in every traffic police car in the country before
    you even slide the disk into the disk holder.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

  6. Simon Brooke said:
    Quoted message said:

    Given the method of taxing your car, it's impossible that this
    database could ever be up to date. Let alone the method of accessing
    it realtime, from a van?

    How long is it since you bought a tax disk? These days, they swipe them
    through a bar code reader and the details are on the DVLC computer
    before you even get out of the post-office, and available on the
    computer terminals in every traffic police car in the country before
    you even slide the disk into the disk holder.

    And when the ANPR, rather than the VED check only unit, is out a lot of
    the local cell sites seem to have very reduced capacity, partly due to
    the van linking direct to the main databases perhaps? A further effect
    is that those who might phone to warn others cannot do so....

    As far as the stats given go, claim each offence as a seperate item,
    even if the car/driver has commited several (most likely IMHO) and you
    can make things seem MUCH worse, good for next years budget submissions
    no doubt.

  7. Ian Smith said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'd be interested to know if that's actually accurate, or whether
    they've reported (as an example) 42 not taxed, 23 not wearing seatbelts,
    of which 15 were both not taxed nor wearing seatbelts, which would lead
    you to surmise that actually, more than 20% were fully legal..

    I wondered that as well, which is why I put in teh 'apparently'.
    However, even if you put it on the minimum possible spread (at least
    as unlikely) there's 40% or so at fault. It _is_ possible that the
    figures as presented are correct - if they worked down a checklist
    until they got to one failure in order to then justify giving the
    motorist some general road safety pep-talk, for example, they'd find
    no more than one failure per car.

    You have a lot to learn about Police funding/targets when a vehicle is
    stopped the officer will in general try to find as many faults aspossible
    to justify the time taken. In budgetspeak 1 vehicle with 100 faults is a
    much better "collar" than 100 vehciles with 1 fault each.

  8. Marc said:
    Ian Smith said:

    figures as presented are correct - if they worked down a checklist
    until they got to one failure in order to then justify giving the
    motorist some general road safety pep-talk, for example, they'd find
    no more than one failure per car.

    You have a lot to learn about Police funding/targets when a vehicle is
    stopped the officer will in general try to find as many faults aspossible
    to justify the time taken. In budgetspeak 1 vehicle with 100 faults is a
    much better "collar" than 100 vehciles with 1 fault each.

    Except that the whole exercise was run specifically to give the
    motorists the pep-talk. That is, they weren't so much looking to
    arrest anyone as show what caring sharing chappies the police force is
    offering friendly advice to assist the poor hard-done-by motorist to
    abide my the myriad petty and vindictive rules the evil 'they'
    inflict. Oh yes.

    I believe it was funded under an accident-reduction initiative, not a
    crime detection one. Certainly it was billed as such, and teh reports
    did not mention any arrests or prosecutions, but did describe the
    safety talk the poor hard-done-by etc. could elect to recieve
    (presumably as an alternative to being arrested / prosecuted /
    whatever).

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|
    |/ \|

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.