Road Cycling · Public discussion

inportant consideration for racing

Started by Neptunium · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,305 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 March 2003
Last activity
28 March 2003
Original author
Neptunium
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,305
Views / 30 days
20
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and was left behind or
    dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average group. He wanted to know why he was cramping
    up. Well he mentioned that he was 50 years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered
    my opinion that he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim
    when working out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading another
    article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
    experience Hyponatremia to some extent and the longer ride the more severe. Aftere reading this
    article mostly felt or experienced all of the symptoms. Here is the link to this article; I hope
    that this helps someone out there if they read it and understand the biochemical aspect to riding
    longer without killing brain cells.

    Hyponatremia: rice.edusalt.html

  2. NEPTUNIUM said:


    Hyponatremia: rice.edusalt.html

    The link you refer to seems to be unavailable??

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  3. works fine for me

  4. "NEPTUNIUM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I read about a man riding in the higher level group and he got cramps and


    was

    Quoted message said:

    left behind or dropped. This must have been in the over 16 mph average


    group.

    Quoted message said:

    He wanted to know why he was cramping up. Well he mentioned that he was


    50

    Quoted message said:

    years old. Could be that he was too out of shape, but I offered my


    opinion that

    Quoted message said:

    he could try taking calcuim. Apparently there is some advise as to taking calcuim when working
    out. This could have been good advise just for the reading. So I was reading


    another

    Quoted message said:

    article about something called Hyponatremia. I believe that all of us that ride for long distances
    experience


    Hyponatremia

    It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at least
    12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or sport
    drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on mostly water
    so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

  5. "one of the six billion" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:b5lt6l$2a00nq$1@ID-

    Quoted message said:

    It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're


    riding

    Quoted message said:

    ultra style rides of at least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all


    you do is

    Quoted message said:

    drink water without a balance of other food or sport drinks. It is


    rare

    Quoted message said:

    even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances


    on

    Quoted message said:

    mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

    I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race a
    few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
    ultra distance events.

    JT

    --
    *******************************************
    NB: reply-to address is munged

    Visit jt10000.comjt10000.com
    *******************************************

  6. Quoted message said:

    I believe Robby Dapice got hyponatremia when he won the US junior national championship road race
    a few years ago -- the race was less than four hours long. But you're right -- it's rare except in
    ultra distance events.

    JT

    A triathlete died a few years ago in Chicago of hyponatremia during a 3 hour triathlon. So, it can
    happen in shorter events.

    Water Kills!!!

    BVB

  7. one of the six billion <[email hidden]> wrote:
    : It's unlikely you have to worry about hyponatremia until you're riding ultra style rides of at
    : least 12 hours more like 24 hours and all you do is drink water without a balance of other food or
    : sport drinks. It is rare even with the ultra crowd. It's pretty hard to do ultra distances on
    : mostly water so Hyponatremia is a self limiting problem.

    Afaik it can be a real risk even in shorter trips, like 8 hours 😉

    What limits the problem is that it's fairly widely known, and also many sports drinks contain
    electrolytes.

    --
    Risto Varanka | helsinki.fi~rvaranka varis at no spam please iki fi

  8. stupid noobie question but is electrolytes another word for salt of one sort or another?

  9. stu said:

    works fine for me

    Still don't work for me. Am I gonna die of this unknown disease just beacause I'll never get to know
    what it is?

    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  10. yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was that
    got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

  11. May I check your box for you, Stu?

    Fr. Guido

    "stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was
    that got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

  12. stu said:

    yer it looks like you are sorry but look on the bright side, at least we will know what it was
    that got you check your inbox, if there is nothing there yell

    Well that's the way it goes. You win some and you lose some. With time it's just water under the
    bridge anyway.

    Nope nothing in my inbox. The DOT to the left of the @ has to be replaced by
    a . thus making it per.elmsater and the DOT to the right of the @ has to be removed making
    it telia.com
    --
    Perre

    Remove the DOTs to reply

  13. well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
    scratching there head lol

    oh and Guido, you will have to ask allot nicer than that, but post a pic and l will think about it

  14. My son,

    You want to see my picture? Why, I'm just an old Padre. If you insist, here it is:
    profiles.yahoo.comfr guidosarducci

    Where do you need help scratching, again?

    Fr. Guido

    "stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
    scratching there head lol

    oh and Guido, you will have to ask allot nicer than that, but post a pic and l will think about it

  15. stu said:

    well no wonder l removed the DOTs just like you said so l guess there is someone somewhere
    scratching there head lol

    Yeah I just noticed myself now. So I've changed my sig instead. Thanks again for the texts you sent.
    Now at least I'll know why I die.

    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  16. ok l have thought about it NO WAY lol

  17. My son,

    Would you like it the other way around? I won't bite. I promise.

    Fr. Guido

    "stu" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    ok l have thought about it NO WAY lol

  18. l'll have to think about that to

    all done thinking NO lol

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.