Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

integrated vs conventional headsets

Started by hwttdz · · Last activity · 26 posts · 3,185 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
25 July 2004
Last activity
22 December 2004
Original author
hwttdz
Posts
26
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,185
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–26 of 26
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I've since installed an integrated headset, the cartridiges are not force fit, they're just dropped in, very easy to install but it implies that there is going to be a significant (still too small to see with the naked eye most likely) amount of movement. In conventional headsets the cups are force fit so no moving parts are in direct contact with the frame (note cups would still move but it would be at least an order of magnitude less, probably on the same order of magnitude that the frame tubes move in relation to each other).

    Chris king says that integrated headsets are more likely to generate squeaks because of this movement. My relatively new integrated headset already squeaks, but I don't notice it when riding, just when the bars swing carrying it up and down the stairs. It also performs flawlessly so no complaints there. If I had a choice I'd take a conventional in the hopes it would be the exact same except not squeak, at least I think I would right now boudreaux might have some more information to share in that oh so diplomatic way of his, which might inspire me to change my mind.

  2. Go, boudreaux, go! 😄

  3. hwttdz said:

    I've since installed an integrated headset, the cartridiges are not force fit, they're just dropped in, very easy to install but it implies that there is going to be a significant (still too small to see with the naked eye most likely) amount of movement. In conventional headsets the cups are force fit so no moving parts are in direct contact with the frame (note cups would still move but it would be at least an order of magnitude less, probably on the same order of magnitude that the frame tubes move in relation to each other).

    Chris king says that integrated headsets are more likely to generate squeaks because of this movement. My relatively new integrated headset already squeaks, but I don't notice it when riding, just when the bars swing carrying it up and down the stairs. It also performs flawlessly so no complaints there. If I had a choice I'd take a conventional in the hopes it would be the exact same except not squeak, at least I think I would right now boudreaux might have some more information to share in that oh so diplomatic way of his, which might inspire me to change my mind.

    Duno what you want from me bub. You the HS expert.Maybe now you know more about the skeptisism about integrated. Sheot,I'm still diddling around with that 'inferior' threaded stuff.

  4. boudreaux said:

    Yeah,but it isn't the actual bearings that are riding in the HT. In true integrated types the bearings are in cartridges in the HT,and in semi integrated or integral types the cartridges or bearing races sit in cups in the HT.


    Yep, in an integrated design the bearings don't roll directly on the inside surfaces of the HT....I think what he meant was that the cartriges the bearings are in might move against the HT, damaging it over time. The paper on the Chris King website explains this theory very clearly, but of course it should be taken with a pinch of salt, as should any info from a body with a vested interest.

    I can't see any real advantages of threadless over threaded designs, except for the ones about availability of parts and carbon tubes, so I wonder why the industry made the change. Possibly aesthetics/ease of adjustment?

    If you really don't want to be able to see the cups of a conventional threadless headset, I reckon semi-integrated (sometimes called internal, I believe) is the best option. It is basically the same thing as a conventional headset but the cups are almost entirely concealed inside the frame, so you get the best of both worlds. I'm pretty sure that is the system used on my Bianchi.

  5. mjw_byrne said:

    I can't see any real advantages of threadless over threaded designs, except for the ones about availability of parts and carbon tubes, so I wonder why the industry made the change. Possibly aesthetics/ease of adjustment?

    Econimics. Much easier to make and stock a single steerer length that is unthreaded. There have been CF steeres that could accept threaded by a threaded insert at the top of the tube.But it gives the dummies a false reason to upgrade,thinking that threadless is newer,better,and 'performs better'...LOL... The guys in marketing get the last laugh.

  6. lokstah said:

    Personally, I'm unconvinced by the skepticsm held towards integrated headsets... I mean, I understand the theory behind the worries, but as far as I know, there isn't any real data that illustrates there to be a problem .

    That said, I don't see anything wrong with the old school rig, and if I was chosing between a pair of otherwise COMPLETELY identical bikes, would just as soon avoid the integrated one on the slim chance there's a real risk with the newer trend. But that hasn't stopped me from buying two consecutive bikes with integrated headsets.

    Who doesn't love the look of a sparkely King, though?


    Ever notice that every road bike Lance rides has a King? There must be something to it. I have an integrated headset on my new ride. If it goes, I'll replace it with a King integrated hs.
    😎

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.