Interested in getting a hybrid bike

slippershoe

Jan 2, 2008
Im a newbie rider thats interested in getting in shape. I am plannong on gettting a hybrid bike but kinda confussed on what to get. The only experience ive had is with BMW bikes when i was a kid and ive played around with a few walmart bikes since then too... so in other words nothing significant.

So far i looked at a couple Giants, a couple other brands i forgot the name to, and a Scott. I really like the Scott i tested, mainly because of the shifting and the looks (hey im just being frank). This was the 2007 Sub 20 model.

Anyway, whats a good Hybrid bike in the $200-$400 range?

slippershoe said:
Im a newbie rider thats interested in getting in shape. I am plannong on gettting a hybrid bike but kinda confussed on what to get. The only experience ive had is with BMW bikes when i was a kid and ive played around with a few walmart bikes since then too... so in other words nothing significant.

So far i looked at a couple Giants, a couple other brands i forgot the name to, and a Scott. I really like the Scott i tested, mainly because of the shifting and the looks (hey im just being frank). This was the 2007 Sub 20 model.

At price point the bikes themselves are really pretty similar and the most significant differences are probably in the dealer. If you're happy with the dealer, I'd say buy the Scott.

Retro Grouch said:
At price point the bikes themselves are really pretty similar and the most significant differences are probably in the dealer. If you're happy with the dealer, I'd say buy the Scott.
If i remember correctly the price was $480 plus tax. I know MSRP is $100 more than that but is this a good price considering its a year old model?

Is there a lightweight bike with decent shifting that costs approx $300 that someone could suggest?

slippershoe said:
Im a newbie rider thats interested in getting in shape.

I rode a Giant Cypress DX for about 1 1/2 years. I think it was about $300. Great bike. Regardless of the brand you get, the ONE thing I would look for is a fixed stem -adjustable ones are a pain- so have it fitted properly or try a bunch of different bikes. I bought the Giant because of the dealer and the sale at the time. I looked at Cannondales but they were more expensive at the time. A hybrid is a GREAT way to get into shape and enjoy biking and get bitten by the bug. You'll loose weight and then the transition to a road bike is a snap.

slippershoe said:

We like to say there are no bad bikes in bike shops these days, only bad bike shops. Ride many and if the shop is friendly, attentive to any changes, offer good service after the sale, go with that shop, and the bikes they offer.