Road Cycling · Public discussion

Interesting custom bike for a 7'5" guy

Started by Alan Hoyle · · Last activity · 18 posts · 1,742 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
18 March 2004
Last activity
27 March 2004
Original author
Alan Hoyle
Posts
18
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,742
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–18 of 18
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was getting a bike fit this weekend when coincidently,
    there arrived a shipment of a custom bike for one of their
    other customers, a 7'5" ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    It's a custom Litespeed Ghissalo. I put my 54cm trek in
    front of the back wheel for comparison...

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - [email hidden] - alanhoyle.comalanhoyle.com
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  2. "Alan Hoyle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was getting a bike fit this weekend when coincidently,
    there arrived a shipment of a custom bike for one of their
    other customers, a 7'5" ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    It's a custom Litespeed Ghissalo. I put my 54cm trek in
    front of the back wheel for comparison...

    -alan

    Is that in Chapel Hill?

    a.

  3. Quoted post said:

    Originally posted by Anonymous
    "Alan Hoyle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I was getting a bike fit this weekend when coincidently,
    there arrived a shipment of a custom bike for one of their
    other customers, a 7'5" ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    It's a custom Litespeed Ghissalo. I put my 54cm trek in
    front of the back wheel for comparison...

    -alan



    Is that in Chapel Hill?

    a.

    Here's another extremely large bike. Apparently made for Bill Cartwright by Zinn.
    http://floppyllama.homestead.com/files/aaaabillcartwright.jpg

  4. andrew smith said:

    "Alan Hoyle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    Is that in Chapel Hill?

    The bike was seen at InsideOut Sports in Cary, NC.

    -alan

    --
    Alan Hoyle - [email hidden] - alanhoyle.comalanhoyle.com
    "I don't want the world, I just want your half." -TMBG
    Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

  5. Quoted message said:

    a custom bike for one of their other customers, a 7'5" ex-
    pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    My, that *is* a crappy camera!

    I knew a very tall (maybe 7 feet) security guard in the
    early Eighties who rode a bike to work with a 68cm frame
    made by SR (SunRace?) that looked very similar to the bike
    in your photo.

  6. "LioNiNoiL at NetScApE_DoT_NeT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:5r07c.21133$Bg.13476@fed1read03...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a custom bike for one of their other customers, a 7'5"
    ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell
    phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    My, that *is* a crappy camera!

    I knew a very tall (maybe 7 feet) security guard in the
    early Eighties who rode a bike to work with a 68cm frame
    made by SR (SunRace?) that looked very similar to the bike
    in your photo.

    I'm 6'10", and have a few 68 cm bikes. I'm on one (Fuji
    touring frame) in this picture:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    I don't think it really looks like the other bike. In the
    70/80's 68 cm frames weren't all that unusual.

  7. "B" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I'm 6'10", and have a few 68 cm bikes. I'm on one (Fuji
    touring frame) in this picture:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    Looks like the Jame's gang getting ready to rob a train!

    It was 2 below zero that morning...

  8. "Alan Hoyle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    andrew smith said:

    "Alan Hoyle" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    Is that in Chapel Hill?

    The bike was seen at InsideOut Sports in Cary, NC.

    I almost stopped in there today.

    If I'm up that way, I'll see if it's still there tomorrow.

    a.

  9. "Peter Cole" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:nU27c.51354$po.487552@attbi_s52...

    Quoted message said:

    "LioNiNoiL at NetScApE_DoT_NeT" <[email hidden]>
    wrote in message news:5r07c.21133$Bg.13476@fed1read03...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    a custom bike for one of their other customers, a 7'5"
    ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell
    phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    My, that *is* a crappy camera!

    I knew a very tall (maybe 7 feet) security guard in the
    early Eighties who rode a bike to work with a 68cm frame
    made by SR (SunRace?) that looked very similar to the
    bike in your photo.

    I'm 6'10", and have a few 68 cm bikes. I'm on one (Fuji
    touring frame) in


    this

    Quoted message said:

    picture:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    I don't think it really looks like the other bike. In the
    70/80's 68 cm


    frames

    Quoted message said:

    weren't all that unusual.

    You guys are nuts.

    a.

  10. On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:17:11 GMT, "andrew smith"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it really looks like the other bike. In the
    70/80's 68 cm


    frames

    Quoted message said:

    weren't all that unusual.

    You guys are nuts.

    I had a 71 cm (28"😉 Schwinn Continental. Cannondale made
    a 27" (68.5
    cm) frame and I wish I could find one.

  11. "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:17:11 GMT, "andrew smith"

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it really looks like the other bike. In
    the 70/80's 68 cm


    frames

    Quoted message said:

    weren't all that unusual.

    You guys are nuts.

    I had a 71 cm (28"😉 Schwinn Continental. Cannondale made a
    27" (68.5
    cm) frame and I wish I could find one.

    I have one, of my 5 bikes, it gets the most use. It's a
    touring frame, so it has longer chainstays and canti studs
    and a bit lower BB, all things I regard as improvements,
    although I don't tour much. I think Cannondale still makes a
    66 cm "racing" frame.

  12. "Zippy the Pinhead" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 04:17:11 GMT, "andrew smith"

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I don't think it really looks like the other bike. In
    the 70/80's 68 cm


    frames

    Quoted message said:

    weren't all that unusual.

    You guys are nuts.

    I had a 71 cm (28"😉 Schwinn Continental. Cannondale made a
    27" (68.5
    cm) frame and I wish I could find one.

    They aren't nuts because of the big frame.

    They're nuts because of the temperature.

    a.

  13. On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 15:29:34 GMT, "andrew smith"

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    You guys are nuts.

    I had a 71 cm (28"😉 Schwinn Continental. Cannondale made
    a 27" (68.5
    cm) frame and I wish I could find one.

    They aren't nuts because of the big frame.

    They're nuts because of the temperature.

    So much for them. I'm nuts because of both.

  14. Peter Cole said:

    I'm 6'10", and have a few 68 cm bikes. I'm on one (Fuji
    touring frame) in this picture:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    I rode a 62cm Fuji touring bike for 12 years (1979 to 1991)
    and about 53,000 miles. It was a good bike.

    Is the lady on the left of your picture wearing a Bell
    Biker?? I wore one of those in the mid-Seventies!

  15. "LioNiNoiL a t Netscape_D0T_NeT" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:rN88c.39421$Bg.36950@fed1read03...

    Quoted message said:
    Peter Cole said:

    I'm 6'10", and have a few 68 cm bikes. I'm on one (Fuji
    touring frame) in this picture:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    I rode a 62cm Fuji touring bike for 12 years (1979 to
    1991) and about 53,000 miles. It was a good bike.

    Is the lady on the left of your picture wearing a Bell
    Biker?? I wore one of those in the mid-Seventies!

    That's no lady! It's one of the bike club's long-time
    characters, his outfits are usually as retro as you get, on
    that ride he was wearing Sorrels, a wool shirt-jac and snow-
    pants in addition to the Bell Biker. He does have a new,
    synthetic, club jacket on though.

    I'm entirely in synthetic stretch fleece, myself. The only
    thing retro in my outfit is the bike, or I should say frame,
    since it's a fixed-gear, with 100% replaced components,
    including tungesten carbide studded tires. Frames haven't
    changed significantly in decades. The Fuji is a very nice
    lugged steel frame with the long chainstays that I really
    prefer. I'm sure we both had a great ride, but as I recall,
    I was the only one in the group to do the full 30 mile loop,
    the others shortened it to 20. Even a short 30 miles with
    studs & f-g in -2 temps is a great workout.

    The only lady in the picture is on the far right. She's very
    hard core, having completed both the B-M-B before, and the
    P-B-P last year, solo, at age 60.

  16. Alan wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    I was getting a bike fit this weekend when coincidently,
    there arrived a shipment of a custom bike for one of their
    other customers, a 7'5" ex-pro and NCAA basketball player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    It's a custom Litespeed Ghissalo. I put my 54cm trek in
    front of the back wheel for comparison...

    Crossposted to my "little" brother's favorite NG so he
    can brag about his ride...

    --Karen M. Hi Ed!!

  17. From article <[email hidden]>, by [email hidden] (Karen M.):

    Quoted message said:

    Alan wrote :

    Quoted message said:

    I was getting a bike fit this weekend when coincidently,
    there arrived a shipment of a custom bike for one of
    their other customers, a 7'5" ex-pro and NCAA basketball
    player.

    I took a picture with the crappy camera on my cell phone.

    alanhoyle.comSerge bike.jpg

    It's a custom Litespeed Ghissalo. I put my 54cm trek in
    front of the back wheel for comparison...


    If your bike is a 21inch frame, is his more than 6 inches
    bigger? I have a $180 (paid 20 years ago) Kabuki road bike
    with a 27inch frame. Panasonic used to mass produce a 28"
    frame bike that I never got my hands on. Of course since
    then and backaches I have given up on road bikes in favor of
    recumbents. Mine is 8.5 feet long ($550 15 years ago)

    uwm.edubigdave.gif

    The trike in the background, while too short for me, was a
    blast and really fast and nimble to try for a couple
    miles. $3500.

  18. Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    home.comcast.netP2190003.JPG

    Is the lady on the left of your picture wearing a Bell
    Biker?? I wore one of those in the mid-Seventies!

    That's no lady! It's one of the bike club's long-time
    characters, his outfits are usually as retro as you get,
    on that ride he was wearing Sorrels, a wool shirt-jac and
    snow-pants in addition to the Bell Biker.

    D'0H! My apologies to the gentleman, my only excuse being
    dim eyesight at a late hour. I still wear a Bell helmet, but
    it's a somewhat more recent (not current) model.

    I admire your fortitude in the cold weather; the coldest
    ride I ever undertook was at a relatively balmy 17F in
    Colorado one winter.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.