pedalchick wrote:
I'm going to have to side with Erik on this - sport is, after all,
SPORT. It's a game. It's supposed to be recreation, entertainment. If
the euro-pros want their version of the sport to be akin to
professional
wrestling, all smoke, mirrors and bashing each other with folding
chairs, then so be it. I support the idea of anti-doping to keep
athletes healthy and safe from directors forcing them to inject
unknown
substances into their bodies. I think it is the responsibility of the
teams and the UCI to create an atmosphere where doping is discouraged.
I
think cheaters should be kicked out of the sport, as is happening more
an dmore lately. However, as it is a GAME, a SPORT, and ENTERTAINMENT,
I
think doping should remain policed by the organizations created to
police the sport, not by the people who are supposed to be going after
murderers. If anyone is to be criminally prosecuted, it should be the
doctors, pharmacists and even the pharmaceutical companies that allow
the drugs to get into riders' hands. It's akin to the Oxycontin
problem.
Don't the makers of EPO realize that their product is disappearing way
faster in Europe than the clinical need could ever account for?
I think that the current frenzy over doping in sport is getting a bit
ridiculous. That the Balco deal went all the way to the US Congress
amazes me. I realize that Olympic athletes represent one's country,
and
to have a doping scandal would reflect negatively on the country, but
it's not like it is a matter of national security. It's just another
topic that excites the public and allows people who would be totally
anonymous for their entire lives to get their 15 minutes of fame by
indicting some poor athlete for (alleged) doping. And don't even get
me
started on USADA banning athletes for life just for a doping
allegation
in leiu of a positive test or admission of guilt.
Perspective -- if Lance admits to doping, do you want to see the guy
rot
in some French prison?
This was written about two weeks after she slept over at Joey D's on
Thursday July 1st, 2004. That was because Joey sent his wife to drive
to Fitchburg, while these two birds flew there on Friday. Also right
after they both flew across the country on Joey's airline miles to
witness USADA test the 'B' sample.
I know I said I was done, and now I am.
crit pro