Actually, the nexus looks pretty new inside including the gears and bearing races. The axle is straight.
I may not be able to sustain a race-winning pace for the duration of a race, but am able to put out some power. Sometimes I dance up a 10% grade by my house. I also ride over broken pavement, trails, grassy shoulders, etc. And the clay soil in Illinois is hard enough to drive a car over without leaving a mark, when it's dry, so riding in the grass is a bumpy ride. It may have about 500 miles of serious use (I relubed it with thinner stuff in the hope of cutting down resistance, not because it needed it). I weigh 200 pounds or so.
I don't jump the thing and slow down/unweight over big bumps but it's not some little piece of [censored]. I'd seal it myself but there's no way to get a felt washer between the sprocket and hub.
The hub came apart very easily. I have not reassembled the hub yet because I just got the proper Nexus grease a few days ago. 1/2 synthetic grease/1/2 synthetic oil allowed the coaster brake pads to gall even though they were saturated with the stuff. The noise coming from the brake was one reason for the overhaul.
The hurdles to reassembly will be: 1. keeping it grit-free, and 2. keeping loose ball bearings in place; I don't want to try to find new caged balls.
I hope I get it back together OK. but it looked pretty simple. There are schematics on Shimano.com.
It may break if I tried to downhill it but it's good enough for commuting.