Intro

dmkovalenko

Jan 4, 2012
Hi everyone! I'll be very pleased for any advice. So my small story.
I'm Dima, from Ukraine, Kiev. I'm 17. And I weght 118kg (nearly 260lbs).
In 2010 my parents gifted me a Bergamont Blades Disc 2009 for my birthday. To that moment bicycle was only some type of entertainment for me. So for the next day I went for a ride, got in to rain, and in evening i already got temperature. So my doctor said that I can start ride only in next year (because to Ukraine winter sometimes come in middle of September- first days of october). Than On April I've got a one day ride, and after that, on next day I went into hospital with pneumonia. Also in 2009 I broke my right leg when I was riding my friends BMX, just tried to make a tailwhip.
But on summer I had a very strong riding. I started my season in the middle of June, and in middle of August I was making 70kms in 4 hours.
I was riding thru pain, sometimes I swoon when I have a small stop. But I love riding a bike, I like competiting with other bikers on the road.
About weight loss: On summer I lost 10kg(22lbs). But now I got them back because of winter holidays. So now I seriously interested in weight loss. But all workouts I have tried only helps to gain a muscle, which is not for me. I dont want to be a bicyclist with shoulder girth of 150cm, cuz i already got 130cm. I dont have a big belly, but i have a very big legs. Its because of my strong trainings on summer. So first i want to build my own rollers for bike, and second find workouts which will help me to lose weight. Thanks a lot for all advices you can give me :)

Hello Dima;

The secret to weight control is portion control. Not how often, far or fast you ride a bike or do any other type of exercise. I say this while weighing about 230 pounds and being a member of over eaters anonymous. Talk about a see food diet, I've been on it all my life.

I love riding my bike and do so only out of pure enjoyment. Saying that I feel any weight loss will be through disciplined eating.

Thanks for that! I tried to sit on diet for one week in the end of the autumn 2011, and i lost 3 kgs. But it was very hard for me. First three days i felt okay, but next four i was like as ill - liyng in bed and sometimes watching TV, cuz i was very weak. Mb i need to find not so strong diet.

As said, portion control is key. I can say with pride that before i started biking i weighed 298 lbs. Now with portion control and about 4000 miles (sorry, forgot the km conversion...) i am now sitting 255 lbs, and feel great!!! I would probably be closer to 220 lbs if i cut out the junk food (pizza and beer dont help loose weight...) but even with the unhealthy food i lost almost 50 LBs in 2 years... (i am 6ft 2inches tall FYI)

Also, when biking, make sure to stay well hydrated... On a 30 mile ride i consume between 64-96 oz(again, sorry i dont know the conversion to ML) of power ade and about 24 oz of water. Also if i recall correctly, you should consume a lot of protien to feed the muscles...

Originally Posted by bogieboy .

Also, when biking, make sure to stay well hydrated... On a 30 mile ride i consume between 64-96 oz(again, sorry i dont know the conversion to ML) of power ade and about 24 oz of water. Also if i recall correctly, you should consume a lot of protien to feed the muscles...
That'd be 1.89 liters to 2.84 liters. 1 fluid ounce is 0.0296 liters. For converting anything, http://www.onlineconversion.com/ , can convert just about anything you want, whether you're a scientist, a cook, or an injured Roman centurion.

Originally Posted by dmkovalenko .

About weight loss: On summer I lost 10kg(22lbs). But now I got them back because of winter holidays. So now I seriously interested in weight loss. But all workouts I have tried only helps to gain a muscle, which is not for me. I dont want to be a bicyclist with shoulder girth of 150cm, cuz i already got 130cm. I dont have a big belly, but i have a very big legs. Its because of my strong trainings on summer. So first i want to build my own rollers for bike, and second find workouts which will help me to lose weight. Thanks a lot for all advices you can give me :)
Well, I'm no expert, but part of the thing with the weight training is you may be doing high weight/low reps, which builds mass - you want to go with high reps/low weight, which tones the muscle but burns more fat.

Also, one thing I noticed was that when I began riding I probably dropped 5-10 lbs and then plateaued - but when it came down to it, I started looking and feeling better, and kept doing so. If you're going to competitively race, you probably want to figure out how to get your weight as low as possible (and at 17, ending up as an elite cyclist is still a path open to you); if you're just riding to be healthy and because you enjoy it, I wouldn't worry as much about every little kg, just so long as you look and feel good.