Road Cycling · Public discussion

Invisible Cyclists in Solstice Dark

Started by Elisa Francesca Roselli · · Last activity · 745 posts · 18,288 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
23 December 2005
Last activity
31 January 2006
Original author
Elisa Francesca Roselli
Posts
745
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
18,288
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 745
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In these dark winter months, I am car-pooling with a colleague to get to
    work. Although I am impervious to cold, I am not happy about cycling
    because of the poor visibility. My road to work is poorly lit, my
    eyesight is bad, my balance perturbed by the dancing beam of my front
    light and my glasses fog up every time I stop.

    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from a
    motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how hard it
    can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them seem to be
    aware of this.

    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with. Then many ride
    entirely without lights, or just a little reflector. Great aurioles of
    light surround the street lights and the headlights of the oncoming
    cars, casting everything else around them into a pitch black shadow from
    the glare. A few days ago, I was standing on a pavement waiting for a
    bus, looking directly into the traffic. Two cyclists swooped right in
    front of me - they were less than 30 feet from me before I even noticed
    them.

    On mornings and even in the broad daylight of the lunch hour, there is
    frequently a freezing smog that not only soups up the air but makes the
    ground slippery. This smog can come on quite suddenly - all is clear,
    then the car descends into a barely perceptible valley and the
    windscreen empties like a movie screen with the projector turned off.

    For night riding it has been my personal practise to wear a reflector
    vest and blinkie lights on armbands. I have a LED headlight and a small
    red backlight. But my lesson from this is that perhaps even I need to up
    the ante. I shall get myself a yellow reflector parka from Glow Dog, and
    wear that even as a pedestrian. And I need more blinkies, especially in
    the back.

    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those of you who do
    cycle in the dark, please make sure you are as visible as you can make
    yourselves. Perhaps do a visibility test with your gear - ask family or
    a neighbor for feedback on whether you can be seen and at what distance,
    especially if you are sharing the road with cars and headlights.

    Safe riding to all,

    EFR
    Ile de France

  2. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:


    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from a
    motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how hard it
    can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them seem to be
    aware of this.

    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with. Then many ride
    entirely without lights, or just a little reflector. Great aurioles of
    light surround the street lights and the headlights of the oncoming
    cars, casting everything else around them into a pitch black shadow from
    the glare.

    With the "great aurioles of light," Elisa makes a point that the
    youngsters in the crowd may not be aware of.

    About 15 years ago, I visited a museum devoted to medical matters.
    They had a display illustrating the effects of aging. Part of that
    showed how aged eyes become cloudy. Supposedly, protein changes in the
    lens put a cloudy halo around every bright light. I recall thinking
    "Hmm. That doesn't happen with me."

    And it didn't - back then. But the effect is beginning to be
    noticeable now, 15 years later.

    Young people don't normally have this problem, and they may make the
    mistake of assuming that, since _they_ can see unlit cyclists and peds
    at night, everyone else can. Not so!

    So you cool young dudes and dudettes - put lights on your bike, and
    carry a tiny LED light when you walk (if you ever do actually walk).
    Use reflective stuff, too. It doesn't take much, but it takes
    _something_ bright to be seen.

    Remember, we old fogies are not only unfashionable and confused, we're
    half blind!

    - Frank Krygowski

  3. <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip) Remember, we old fogies are not only
    unfashionable and confused, we're half blind!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll be 88 in a couple of weeks, so I guess I have the right to say this.
    Older people take longer to form a meaningful picture from what enters their
    senses, and longer to react. We try to compensate for these losses, but
    many of us don't realize, or hate to admit they occur. The changes are so
    gradual we're not always aware of them.

    BTW, Elisa, your writing is delightful: "The windscreen empties like a
    movie screen with the projector turned off."

  4. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from a
    motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how hard it
    can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them seem to be
    aware of this.

    Elisa, I've done this too -- while driving in the dark and passing a
    pedestrian or a cyclist, made a note of what it is that I see first. Usually
    it's some sort of reflective clothing. Even a tiny reflective patch on a
    pair of cycling shoes or reflective piping on a jacket will catch my eye
    before the rear blinkie is noticeable. It certainly spurred me to put
    reflective tape on my headtube (white) and rear fender (red), and on my
    helmet (hi-vis yellow), and wear a fred-like orange vest with a huge
    reflective strip, front and back.

    I also make a point of complementing peds who are highly visible while I'm
    on my bike. Having your dog simply wear a reflective collar makes a huge
    difference as you walk with it along the roadway shoulder. I'm not whipping
    along so fast that I can't call out, "thank you for being so easy to see!"
    as I approach and pass. What I find the worst are the stealth peds -- black
    pants, black jacket, dark hair, nothing reflective or illuminated. I don't
    think they realize how difficult they are to see.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  5. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those of you who do cycle
    in the dark, please make sure you are as visible as you can make
    yourselves. Perhaps do a visibility test with your gear - ask family or a
    neighbor for feedback on whether you can be seen and at what distance,
    especially if you are sharing the road with cars and headlights.

    The 'choir' are still awaiting a wafflycat jpeg ... 🙁

    Quoted message said:

    Safe riding to all,

    You too. Although mine is a little mothballed at the moment. New Years
    resolutions .. stop being such a lazy ****, learn to pull a reasonable
    wheelie and learn to rollerblade better and backwards.

  6. "Leo Lichtman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip) Remember, we old fogies are not only
    unfashionable and confused, we're half blind!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll be 88 in a couple of weeks, (clip)


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I guess age has also affected my ability to add, or remember. <ake that,
    "I'll be 78 in a couple of weeks..."

  7. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip) Remember, we old fogies are not only
    unfashionable and confused, we're half blind!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll be 88 in a couple of weeks, (clip)


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I guess age has also affected my ability to add, or remember. <ake that,
    "I'll be 78 in a couple of weeks..."

    Time does speed up as we age. I know I made it from 50 to 60 a lot
    faster than I did 10 to 20
    ;-)

  8. Leo Lichtman said:

    "Leo Lichtman" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    <[email hidden]> wrote: (clip) Remember, we old fogies are not
    only unfashionable and confused, we're half blind!
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I'll be 88 in a couple of weeks, (clip)


    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I guess age has also affected my ability to add, or remember. <ake
    that, "I'll be 78 in a couple of weeks..."

    I was gonna say, Leo... 88?!? 78 is impressive enough!

  9. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:43abba84$0$20854

    Quoted message said:


    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with.

    In defence of dark clothing - bright colours don't really work in the dark.
    One of my colleagues looked at my dark silver jacket and asked why I didn't
    have a yellow one on until I explained that the silver was made of
    reflective material and therefore far more visible than any bright colours.

    --
    Simon Mason

  10. Simon Mason said:

    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:43abba84$0$20854

    Quoted message said:


    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with.

    In defence of dark clothing - bright colours don't really work in the dark.
    One of my colleagues looked at my dark silver jacket and asked why I didn't
    have a yellow one on until I explained that the silver was made of
    reflective material and therefore far more visible than any bright colours.

    --
    Simon Mason

    Nonsense. Light/bright colours are much more visible than dark colours
    when picked up by headlights or any other lights for that matter. Thats
    what "light" or "bright" mean more or less i.e. more visible. DARK
    CLOTHING IS WHAT YOU'D WEAR IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN. Or are you
    arguing that black is white?

    happy christmas
    Jacob

  11. Quoted message said:


    Nonsense. Light/bright colours are much more visible than dark colours
    when picked up by headlights or any other lights for that matter. Thats
    what "light" or "bright" mean more or less i.e. more visible. DARK
    CLOTHING IS WHAT YOU'D WEAR IF YOU DON'T WANT TO BE SEEN. Or are you
    arguing that black is white?

    With Scotchlite Black Diamond material, black can be white at night ;-)
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?W=0&Manufacturer=&UberCatName=&Cat=cycle&CategoryName=Reflectives&ProdID=5360011877&UberCat=0

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  12. "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In these dark winter months, I am car-pooling with a colleague to get to
    work. Although I am impervious to cold, I am not happy about cycling
    because of the poor visibility. My road to work is poorly lit, my eyesight
    is bad, my balance perturbed by the dancing beam of my front light and my
    glasses fog up every time I stop.

    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from a
    motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how hard it
    can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them seem to be
    aware of this.

    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with. Then many ride
    entirely without lights, or just a little reflector. Great aurioles of
    light surround the street lights and the headlights of the oncoming cars,
    casting everything else around them into a pitch black shadow from the
    glare. A few days ago, I was standing on a pavement waiting for a bus,
    looking directly into the traffic. Two cyclists swooped right in front of
    me - they were less than 30 feet from me before I even noticed them.

    I see riders in stealth clothing quite often - it's little wonder that they
    get hit, sad though that is. At night I ride in a bright yellow Altura
    Nevis - it's very visible. Also I don't use one of those tiny LED lights on
    the back but a large area one that has several LEDs in it and a large
    expanse of reflector/refractor lens. I ride in the countryside so I am quite
    easy to see because of the lack of distracting light sources, if I was in a
    town I would be very nervous of riding busy roads in the dark.

    John

  13. Eatmorepies said:


    I see riders in stealth clothing quite often - it's little wonder that they
    get hit, sad though that is. At night I ride in a bright yellow Altura
    Nevis - it's very visible. Also I don't use one of those tiny LED lights on
    the back but a large area one that has several LEDs in it and a large
    expanse of reflector/refractor lens. I ride in the countryside so I am quite
    easy to see because of the lack of distracting light sources, if I was in a
    town I would be very nervous of riding busy roads in the dark.

    That's more lack of confidence than real risk. I ride frequently in
    London in the dark and have very little that gives me concerns.

    I've been looking at bike lights for conspicuousness following recent
    threads here. For the front, conventional halogen or similar lights
    blend into the background of car lights but the bluish tinged white LEDs
    do stand out. The most effective I've seen is two out of phase flashing
    white LEDs on the front which were unmissable even with a lot of car
    headlights around. For the rear a really bright red slowish flashing
    LED seems to be the best but they still blend in rather too well with
    the surrounding red car lights.

    --
    Tony

    "The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the
    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  14. Elisa Francesca Roselli said:

    In these dark winter months, I am car-pooling with a colleague to get to
    work. Although I am impervious to cold, I am not happy about cycling
    because of the poor visibility. My road to work is poorly lit, my
    eyesight is bad, my balance perturbed by the dancing beam of my front
    light and my glasses fog up every time I stop.

    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from a
    motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how hard it
    can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them seem to be
    aware of this.

    Much winter clothing is dark or black to begin with. Then many ride
    entirely without lights, or just a little reflector. Great aurioles of
    light surround the street lights and the headlights of the oncoming
    cars, casting everything else around them into a pitch black shadow from
    the glare. A few days ago, I was standing on a pavement waiting for a
    bus, looking directly into the traffic. Two cyclists swooped right in
    front of me - they were less than 30 feet from me before I even noticed
    them.

    On mornings and even in the broad daylight of the lunch hour, there is
    frequently a freezing smog that not only soups up the air but makes the
    ground slippery. This smog can come on quite suddenly - all is clear,
    then the car descends into a barely perceptible valley and the
    windscreen empties like a movie screen with the projector turned off.

    For night riding it has been my personal practise to wear a reflector
    vest and blinkie lights on armbands. I have a LED headlight and a small
    red backlight. But my lesson from this is that perhaps even I need to up
    the ante. I shall get myself a yellow reflector parka from Glow Dog, and
    wear that even as a pedestrian. And I need more blinkies, especially in
    the back.

    I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but for those of you who do
    cycle in the dark, please make sure you are as visible as you can make
    yourselves. Perhaps do a visibility test with your gear - ask family or
    a neighbor for feedback on whether you can be seen and at what distance,
    especially if you are sharing the road with cars and headlights.

    Safe riding to all,

    EFR
    Ile de France

    Great article.

    Please remember, even if you don't need lights to enable you to see,
    lights make you visible to other people. Motor vehicles generally move
    much faster than bicycles. If you and a motor vehicle driver can both
    see the same distance under current lighting, the mvd will typically
    have far less time to react to your presence and avoid turning you into
    a hood ornament. Do yourself a favour and be obvious.

    On behalf of commercial drivers (and cyclists) everywhere, Merry Christmas.

  15. "Eatmorepies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ride in the countryside so I am quite easy to see because of the lack
    of distracting light sources, if I was in a town I would be very nervous
    of riding busy roads in the dark.

    Funny, I have the opposite attitude -- I feel fine riding in town, where
    there's lots of amibient lighting, then when it's just little ol' me
    peddling along the dark, dark road in the middle of nowhere. I think we're
    all just more naturally confident in the environment where we have the
    greatest experience.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    Personal page: http://www.geocities.com/cpetersky/
    See the books I've set free at:
    http://bookcrossing.com/referral/Cpetersky

  16. Claire Petersky said:

    What I find the worst are the stealth peds -- black
    pants, black jacket, dark hair, nothing reflective or illuminated. I don't
    think they realize how difficult they are to see.

    They certainly don't.

    I did a little reading on the research regarding ped (and cyclists)
    visibility. One paper talked about an experiment on a closed course,
    where motorists were to drive slowly toward a pedestrian standing in
    the road directly in front. The motorists were to stop when they saw
    the ped. With dark clothing and no reflectors or lights, the first
    pedestrian subject actually had to jump out of the way to prevent being
    run over! And the driver _knew_ he was there... somewhere!

    And again, it's a shame, because the papers showed that it takes only
    minimal measures to be easily seen. Small reflective patches on wrists
    or shoes, or very small lights, made peds easily noticeable and
    recognizeable a great distance away ( hundreds of yard, IIRC).

    What worked best, BTW, was reflectors that showed "human walking"
    motion, the characteristic swing of arms and legs. We're hard-wired to
    notice that motion. This helps pedal reflectors work, I believe.

    I rarely walk at night without a tiny flashlight.

    - Frank Krygowski

  17. Quoted message said:

    Nonsense. Light/bright colours are much more visible than dark colours
    when picked up by headlights or any other lights for that matter.

    That's true, but not true enough.

    I was driving at night on an unlit street last week. A half-mile ahead
    of me was a shopping center with bright lights. I nearly hit a cyclist
    -- I only saw him at the last minute when I saw his silhouette in the
    supermarket lights. I swerved to avoid him and that's when I noticed
    the faint outline of his flourescent yellow jacket in my headlights.
    After I passed I saw that he had a very bright front light.

    Bright colored clothing is not generally adequate for night visibility.
    You might as well be wearing black. I don't ride at night without
    lighting front, back and sides. I generally have reflective material on
    me, bike, or bags also.

    RFM
    http://www.cyclelicio.us/

  18. "Eatmorepies" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I ride in the countryside so I am quite easy to see because of the lack
    of distracting light sources, if I was in a town I would be very nervous
    of riding busy roads in the dark.

    My experience on country lanes is that the greatest danger is being blinded
    by oncoming traffic and losing the edge of the road. It is then easy to
    veer either into the middle of the road or into the ditch.

    Neither are good. On country lanes a light that says to the driver 'dip you
    [censored]' is required.

    In town a combination of something flashing and something reflecting seems
    to work well.

    T

  19. in message <[email hidden]>, Claire

    Petersky (') said:

    "Elisa Francesca Roselli" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In the car, I really do get to notice what can and cannot be seen from
    a motorist's point of view. And I am appalled to discover just how
    hard it can be to see cyclists and pedestrians, and how few of them
    seem to be aware of this.

    Elisa, I've done this too -- while driving in the dark and passing a
    pedestrian or a cyclist, made a note of what it is that I see first.
    Usually it's some sort of reflective clothing.

    Driving home recently, coming out of the streetlit area into the dark
    with dipped headlights, slight river mist, I saw a /something/ ahead of
    me which I didn't immediately interpret. There was a red light, not very
    bright, and nothing else clear at all. Fortunately I assumed it to be
    the nearside rear light of a car with a defective offside rear light,
    and steered to pass it wide. I didn't see the pedal reflectors until I
    was really quite close, and it was only when I'd seen them that I could
    interpret from the blur an elderly man in dark clothing on a bike.

    It was startling to me how close I was before I could interpret what I
    was looking at, and had I not already been well out on the carriageway I
    would have to have braked quite sharply. To be fair his light wasn't
    very bright at all, and I think his pedal reflectors must have been
    dirty, but it was still a surprise - I think myself very careful of
    cyclists. Bright, blinking rear lights and retro-reflective trim on
    clothing are definitely worth it.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; I'll have a proper rant later, when I get the time.

  20. Tony W said:

    My experience on country lanes is that the greatest danger is being blinded
    by oncoming traffic and losing the edge of the road. It is then easy to
    veer either into the middle of the road or into the ditch.

    I figure that I can step sideways rapidly enough, so I head for the
    dazzling lights whilst obviously shielding my eyes. That way I don't
    fall in the ditch I now cannot see.

    Works a treat up here.

    On one occasion I stopped in teh middle of the road becasue I could not
    see due to the twunt dazzling me. As it was a single track road and he
    wasn't going very fast he had almost come to a halt before realising
    why I wasn't moving. He dipped and then apologised. It is quite
    civilised up here.

    ...d

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.