Simon Brooke said:The experimental method I propose is as follows:
(i) clamp sprocket in the vice
(ii) drape new chain over sprocket
(iii) Attach shock-cord to the pulling side of the chain to simulate
loadIf my hypothesis is correct the link on the second engaged tooth away
from the load will be slack and capable of being moved radially of the
order of half a millimetre. Would you agree this proposed experiment
would be conclusive? If not, what experimental method would you
propose?
I'd suggest a few amendments:
- If you can get the chain arranged with a (very) strong pull in the
pulling direction, and a weak pull (jockey wheel spring) in the slack
direction, I'd be happier.
- You would need to do your test at every tooth "engaged" with the chain
- and then rotate the entire thing on by, say, 1/10th of a tooth
spacing, repeat, and keep going ten times. This would check if the
"wear point(s)" are moving.
- your test presupposes (I think) that slack link <==> no wear and thus
tight link <==> wear. However, I can almost see a case where this may
not be so: the link could be tight because it is under very much more
tension than "normal" because either or both of the two adjacent links
are pulling it, due to badly worn teeth engaging with the adjacent links
- but the link itself isn't engaging at all with the teeth.
R.