Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

iPod blamed for Aussie death

Started by Peter McCallum · · Last activity · 75 posts · 2,525 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
14 February 2006
Last activity
18 February 2006
Original author
Peter McCallum
Posts
75
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,525
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–75 of 75
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. --
    Frank
    [email hidden]
    Drop DACKS to reply
    "Theo Bekkers" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael Warner said:
    Theo Bekkers said:

    > OTOH, I don't use it in the hills, because it prevents me from
    > hearing cars coming up behind me, and I'd have to ride on
    > the verge on the assumption that there's always one there.

    Why? Because you think a car behind you has right of way?

    No - because there's no reason to block it. I like to climb in
    the middle of the lane, but I don't mind moving over to let
    the odd car past. Forcing them to cross the centre line
    to overtake me puts both of us at risk.

    Do you intentionally block cars when there's no good reason
    to do so? IMHO that's a stupid thing to do.

    Stuart's response says all I would have, and more.

    Riding on my side of the road is _not_ blocking cars.

    If a car needs to cross the centre line to pass me why is that _my_


    problem?

    Quoted message said:

    If they wish to pass me it is up to them to do it in a safe manner.

    Theo

    I see it as a legal right/social duty thing. Yes, you have the legal right
    to claim the lane, the driver (the car doesn't do anything - the driver
    does) has a legal duty to wait and only pass when safe... all that stuff
    that's been discussed here ad nauseum (that means 'till we're sick of it,
    Euan!). But (so I started a sentence with 'but' - get over it :-) life seems
    to be easier if road use is handled as human space negotiation - legalities
    are for when that breaks down. That means I have a legal right to claim the
    lane but I have a social duty to sometimes not exercise my rights. That also
    translates into, for eg, if a driver waits patiently before finding a safe
    place to pass, giving them a nod or wave of appreciation, despite that they
    have only done what they are legally obliged to do.

    If it's not inconvenient for me to ride close to the edge and allow drivers
    to pass more easily, that's fine; I'll ride on the edge. I can give up my
    legal rights to fulfil my social obligations. If I *need* (not just want) to
    claim the lane, I can and do. I'm not going to claim the lane just to prove
    a point, especially to a driver who probably isn't aware of the debate
    anyway. Sometimes we all have to give and take...

    OK, that's oversimplified, but it'll do.

    Cheers,

    Frank

  2. Michael Warner said:


    Dale Stanbrough said:

    Get a mirror for your bike. I've got one and it's enormously helpful.

    I'm a roadie. I don't put mirrors, bells, reflectors or other
    non-electronic rubbish on my racer. Go ahead, call me a law-
    defying nut :-)

    Law-defying nut? Nah, you're just a weight weenie! :-P

    Tam

  3. Plodder said:

    the driver
    does) has a legal duty to wait and only pass when safe... all that stuff
    that's been discussed here ad nauseum (that means 'till we're sick of it,
    Euan!).


    Oh clever! Jab at my distaste for Latin and a jab at me hammering on about stuff that's been gone over time and time again. I doff my hat to you :-)

    Quoted post said:

    But (so I started a sentence with 'but' - get over it :-) life seems
    to be easier if road use is handled as human space negotiation - legalities
    are for when that breaks down. That means I have a legal right to claim the
    lane but I have a social duty to sometimes not exercise my rights. That also
    translates into, for eg, if a driver waits patiently before finding a safe
    place to pass, giving them a nod or wave of appreciation, despite that they
    have only done what they are legally obliged to do.


    Which is exactly what vehicular cycling, or its more neutral designation and one I prefer; co-operative cycling, is all about! :-)

  4. Plodder said:

    If it's not inconvenient for me to ride close to the edge and allow drivers
    to pass more easily, that's fine; I'll ride on the edge. I can give up my
    legal rights to fulfil my social obligations. If I *need* (not just want) to
    claim the lane, I can and do. I'm not going to claim the lane just to prove
    a point, especially to a driver who probably isn't aware of the debate
    anyway. Sometimes we all have to give and take...

    Well said. Our legal rights should be a recourse to be used when
    necessary, not a weapon for pissing off people against whom we have some
    ideological grudge.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  5. EuanB said:

    I took a leap of faith with the Ground Effect Rock Lobster top, it's a
    long sleeved summer top. It works in much the same way (I imagine, not
    used one yet) as a bandana would. In hot weather it soaks with sweat
    and that provides greater cooling whilst in motion. Sounds crazy but
    it works, in my opinion really well.

    I've just started wearing a new summer undershirt, a mesh thing with fairly
    large holes in it. In hot weather it's a definite improvement over a jersey
    alone - it stops my skin and the jersey clinging together, and seems to
    keep them both dryer and cooler.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  6. Tamyka Bell said:

    Law-defying nut? Nah, you're just a weight weenie! :-P

    Excuse me, I have to go weigh myself.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  7. Michael Warner said:


    Tamyka Bell said:

    Law-defying nut? Nah, you're just a weight weenie! :-P

    Excuse me, I have to go weigh myself.

    Have you dehydrated first?

    T

  8. "Graeme Dods" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Theo Bekkers said:

    I listened to AM radio, in a past life.

    Since coming to Australia I've been forced to. I've not been able to


    find a

    Quoted message said:

    decent FM station in WA.

    94.5 does it for me.

    Theo

  9. "Plodder" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Theo Bekkers" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Riding on my side of the road is _not_ blocking cars.

    If a car needs to cross the centre line to pass me why is that


    _my_

    Quoted message said:

    problem?

    Quoted message said:

    If they wish to pass me it is up to them to do it in a safe


    manner.

    Quoted message said:

    I see it as a legal right/social duty thing. Yes, you have the legal


    right

    Quoted message said:

    to claim the lane, the driver (the car doesn't do anything - the


    driver

    Quoted message said:

    does) has a legal duty to wait and only pass when safe... all that


    stuff

    Quoted message said:

    that's been discussed here ad nauseum (that means 'till we're sick


    of it,

    Quoted message said:

    Euan!). But (so I started a sentence with 'but' - get over it :-)


    life seems

    Quoted message said:

    to be easier if road use is handled as human space negotiation -


    legalities

    Quoted message said:

    are for when that breaks down. That means I have a legal right to


    claim the

    Quoted message said:

    lane but I have a social duty to sometimes not exercise my rights.


    That also

    Quoted message said:

    translates into, for eg, if a driver waits patiently before finding


    a safe

    Quoted message said:

    place to pass, giving them a nod or wave of appreciation, despite


    that they

    Quoted message said:

    have only done what they are legally obliged to do.

    If it's not inconvenient for me to ride close to the edge and allow


    drivers

    Quoted message said:

    to pass more easily, that's fine; I'll ride on the edge. I can give


    up my

    Quoted message said:

    legal rights to fulfil my social obligations. If I *need* (not just


    want) to

    Quoted message said:

    claim the lane, I can and do. I'm not going to claim the lane just


    to prove

    Quoted message said:

    a point, especially to a driver who probably isn't aware of the


    debate

    Quoted message said:

    anyway. Sometimes we all have to give and take...

    OK, that's oversimplified, but it'll do.

    I can agree with that. My initial objection was that there was some
    implied understanding that it was a requirement for me to get out of
    the way of other vehicles. A social duty to share the road, yes.

    Sometimes I require other vehicles to get out of my way but that is
    when I'm in the fire truck, with the siren on. :-)

    Theo

  10. "Michael Warner" wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm a roadie. I don't put mirrors, bells, reflectors or other
    non-electronic rubbish on my racer. Go ahead, call me a law-
    defying nut :-)

    You're a law-defying nut. What the Yanks call a scoff-law. :-)

    I have a mirror on all my bikes. None have a bell, but one has a
    whistle, the referee pea-type. OK, it's electronic, but it sounds like
    the real deal.

    I seem to have lost the reflectors on the roadie as well. Never did
    figure out why I need them in daylight.

    Theo

  11. Theo Bekkers said:

    94.5 does it for me.

    If by "it" you mean "drives you to distraction with their bland music on
    the radio and stupid advert featuring an ape who choses their play list"
    then yes, it does it for me too. I must admit I prefer my radio to be
    fairly music free, I used to listen to BBC Radio 4 back in the UK;
    wonderful plays, comedies, documentaries, news etc. Still, that's what this
    internet thingy is for. Shame I can't afford continuous wireless broadband
    to listen to an internet stream in my car, mind you, the 8 hour time
    difference would mean I was stuck with the shipping forecast on the way
    into work (but that's an art form in itself, something which few
    Australians would understand).

    Time for another coffee I think 🙂

    Graeme

  12. "Graeme Dods" wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Theo Bekkers said:

    94.5 does it for me.

    If by "it" you mean "drives you to distraction with their bland


    music on

    Quoted message said:

    the radio and stupid advert featuring an ape who choses their play


    list"

    Quoted message said:

    then yes, it does it for me too. I must admit I prefer my radio to


    be

    Quoted message said:

    fairly music free,

    I prefer radio music to be background, non-intrusive, non-rap. And
    that's 94.5 to me.
    I hate talk-back radio. I prefer to do talk-back here, without the
    sound, and with the option to ignore the people/subjects that I want
    to ignore.

    Theo

  13. Michael Warner said:

    I've just started wearing a new summer undershirt, a mesh thing with fairly
    large holes in it. In hot weather it's a definite improvement over a jersey
    alone - it stops my skin and the jersey clinging together, and seems to
    keep them both dryer and cooler.

    Thanks for the tip *cackles* more shopping :-)
    --
    Cheers | ~~ __@
    Euan | ~~ _-\<,
    Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

  14. Euan said:

    Thanks for the tip *cackles* more shopping :-)

    You can never have enough bike toys.

    --
    Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

  15. Michael Warner said:
    Euan said:

    Thanks for the tip *cackles* more shopping :-)

    You can never have enough bike toys.

    Weeeell .... buying bike toys does stop me buying diving toys, so I'm
    not all that convinced ... :-D

    --
    My Usenet From: address now expires after two weeks. If you email me, and
    the mail bounces, try changing the bit before the "@ to usenet".

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.