General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Iron Chef: Tirger Woods

Started by Jed · · Last activity · 10 posts · 1,138 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
18 June 2005
Last activity
20 June 2005
Original author
Jed
Posts
10
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,138
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–10 of 10
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. No, Woods isn't going to be a challenger on Iron Chef, but I was
    watching the U.S. Open golf tourney this morning and NBC did a Tiger
    Woods highlight spot using the Iron Chef theme music as background.

    No matter how I tried, I couldn't shake the feeling I should be seeing
    some fierce cooking real soon now.

    Just like Rossini's William Tell Overture will always make me think of
    the Lone Ranger, I guess.

    Of course, I learned all the classical music I know from Warner Bros.
    cartoons.

    _j("kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...)d

  2. "Jed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course, I learned all the classical music I know from Warner Bros.


    cartoons.

    _j("kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...)d

    Do you remember the Bugs Bunny opera, all that Wagnerian posturing. BB died
    in the end and as he was being carried up the stairs to the castle he opened
    one eye and said, "well wattya expect from an opera, a happy ending"
    Brilliant, and nothing to do with food, sorry.

    An opera fanatic.

  3. Jed said:

    No, Woods isn't going to be a challenger on Iron Chef, but I was
    watching the U.S. Open golf tourney this morning and NBC did a Tiger
    Woods highlight spot using the Iron Chef theme music as background.

    No matter how I tried, I couldn't shake the feeling I should be seeing
    some fierce cooking real soon now.

    I thought the Iron Chef music was simply the theme to the movie
    Backdraft.

  4. On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:32:35 +0100, "Bill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Jed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Of course, I learned all the classical music I know from Warner Bros.


    cartoons.

    _j("kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...)d

    Do you remember the Bugs Bunny opera, all that Wagnerian posturing. BB died
    in the end and as he was being carried up the stairs to the castle he opened
    one eye and said, "well wattya expect from an opera, a happy ending"
    Brilliant, and nothing to do with food, sorry.

    That's the cartoon that "kill the wabbit" came from. To the same music
    Robert Duval's character, Lieutenant Colonel Bill Kilgore, blared from
    his attack helicopters in Apocalypse Now.

    Quoted message said:

    An opera fanatic.

    Ob non-food trivia: Raymond Scott composed a number pieces that were
    used in cartoons including "Powerhouse" which was used in a Bugs Bunny
    cartoon involving a futuristic factory. You can hear a clip here:'

    http://raymondscott.com/MENsndf.html

    _j "opera, not so much" d

  5. email hidden said:
    Jed said:

    No, Woods isn't going to be a challenger on Iron Chef, but I was
    watching the U.S. Open golf tourney this morning and NBC did a Tiger
    Woods highlight spot using the Iron Chef theme music as background.

    No matter how I tried, I couldn't shake the feeling I should be seeing
    some fierce cooking real soon now.

    I thought the Iron Chef music was simply the theme to the movie
    Backdraft.

    Is that true? I'll have to watch that movie again, I don't recall
    that. Perhaps I saw Backdraft before I saw Iron Chef and didn't make
    the connection. Of course, I saw Iron Chef many times and Backdraft
    only once.

    _j "Who did Iron Chef Morimoto play in Backdraft?" d

  6. Music aside Ventura would be much more appropriate than Woods. One or
    two Iron Chefs are pretty interesting, especially if they're carving
    out Tuna eyeballs for a grilling that I understand ends in a savory
    jelly-like consistency. Something that I seek continually in my own
    grilling. NOT!

    Or those live eels that slither out of the chef's pan where I would be
    compelled to stomp on them before attempting to pick them up.

    If you watch more than few minutes, or more than a couple of shows,
    you must realize that it has to be 1. Either the worst-produced TV show
    ever aired including all Info-mercials; or 2. A show produced by an
    alien society, most of whose concepts and idioms are untranslatable.

    These are apparently grown men, but they talk like eight- year-olds.
    I don't think it's the translation. I mean what can you do with a
    "yeap" or "nope?"

    Okay it's a culture I was not raised in. Like those drivers in the
    "Wildest Police Chases Ever." And I watch both, realizing sadly that
    true globalization has a hell of a long way to go.

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    I thought the Iron Chef music was simply the theme to the movie
    Backdraft.

    It is ... and is so credited at the end of each episode.

    If I ever see "Backdraft," I'm going to wonder why they're using the
    music to "Iron Chef"....

    sd

  8. Jed said:

    On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 19:32:35 +0100, "Bill" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Jed" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    > Of course, I learned all the classical music I know from Warner Bros.
    cartoons.

    _j("kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit...)d

    Do you remember the Bugs Bunny opera, all that Wagnerian posturing. BB
    died in the end and as he was being carried up the stairs to the castle he
    opened one eye and said, "well wattya expect from an opera, a happy
    ending" Brilliant, and nothing to do with food, sorry.

    That's the cartoon that "kill the wabbit" came from.

    "What's Opera, Doc".

    ---jkb

    --
    "To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems."
    -- Homer Simpson

  9. On Sat, 18 Jun 2005 17:44:21 -0700, Jed <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    email hidden said:
    Jed said:

    No, Woods isn't going to be a challenger on Iron Chef, but I was
    watching the U.S. Open golf tourney this morning and NBC did a Tiger
    Woods highlight spot using the Iron Chef theme music as background.

    No matter how I tried, I couldn't shake the feeling I should be seeing
    some fierce cooking real soon now.

    I thought the Iron Chef music was simply the theme to the movie
    Backdraft.

    Is that true? I'll have to watch that movie again, I don't recall
    that. Perhaps I saw Backdraft before I saw Iron Chef and didn't make
    the connection. Of course, I saw Iron Chef many times and Backdraft
    only once.

    Yes, it is even listed at the end of the final credits - copyright
    requirements and all that.

  10. "sd" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted post said:

    I thought the Iron Chef music was simply the theme to the movie
    Backdraft.

    It is ... and is so credited at the end of each episode.

    If I ever see "Backdraft," I'm going to wonder why they're using the
    music to "Iron Chef"....

    The last time I saw "Backdraft" I swear that I expected an eccentrically
    dressed Japanese man to show up chomping on a yellow Bell Pepper.

    Virtually all of the music used in the show is in the movie but spread
    around a lot. The main theme for the show (which starts with a drum roll)
    actually comes from late in the film in the funeral scene, but the main
    theme of the film is used on the show.

    --
    Brent McKee http://brentmckee.blogspot.com/
    My TV Blog -- http://childoftv.blogspot.com/

    To reply by email, please remove the capital letters (S and N) from
    the email address

    "If we cease to judge this world, we may find ourselves, very quickly,
    in one which is infinitely worse."
    - Margaret Atwood

    "Nothing is more dangerous than a dogmatic worldview - nothing more
    constraining, more blinding to innovation, more destructive of
    openness to novelty. "
    - Stephen Jay Gould (1941-2002)

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.