iron deficiency anemia = no diabetes

Doe

Guest
Diabetes Care. 2004 Mar;27(3):650-6. Links

Impact of iron deficiency anemia on prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.

Lao TT, Ho LF.

Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong, China. University of Hong
Kong, Hong Kong, China.

OBJECTIVE:-Increased Hb and ferritin have been associated with gestational diabetes mellitus (GDM).
This study was performed to determine whether the prevalence of GDM is influenced by iron deficiency
anemia. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS-In a retrospective case-control study, 242 women with iron
deficiency anemia (Hb <10 g/dl with features of iron deficiency) were compared with 484 nonanemic
women matched for year of birth, who were delivered within the same 24-month period in our hospital,
with respect to maternal demographics, infant outcome, and the prevalence of GDM diagnosed according
to the World Health Organization criteria. RESULTS:-There was no difference in the prepregnancy
weight or BMI, but the anemic group had more multiparas and significantly lower gestational weight
and BMI increments and prevalence of GDM (odds ratio [OR] .52, 95% CI 0.27-0.97), which was
inversely correlated (P = 0.045) with the duration of anemia. To determine the independent effect of
anemia on GDM, multiple logistic regression analysis was performed adjusting for the effects of
multiparity and BMI, and anemia was confirmed to be significantly associated with decreased
prevalence of GDM (adjusted OR 0.46, 95% CI 0.23-0.90). CONCLUSIONS:-The prevalence of GDM is
reduced in iron deficiency anemia, which probably served as a surrogate for other factors such as
nutritional inadequacy and reduced gestational weight gain. Further studies on the relationship
between nutritional improvement and the increasing prevalence of GDM in the developing world are
warranted.

PMID: 14988280 [PubMed - in process]

------

Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

So is this an argument against too much iron in our diets? Anth

"doe" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Diabetes Care. 2004 Mar;27(3):650-6. Links
>

> Impact of iron deficiency anemia on prevalence of gestational diabetes mellitus.
>
> Lao TT, Ho LF.
>
> Department of Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong,
China.
> University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, China.
>
> OBJECTIVE:-Increased Hb and ferritin have been associated with gestational diabetes mellitus
> (GDM). This study was performed to determine whether the prevalence of GDM is influenced by iron
> deficiency anemia. RESEARCH DESIGN
AND
> METHODS-In a retrospective case-control study, 242 women with iron
deficiency
> anemia (Hb <10 g/dl with features of iron deficiency) were compared with
484
> nonanemic women matched for year of birth, who were delivered within the
same
> 24-month period in our hospital, with respect to maternal demographics,
infant
> outcome, and the prevalence of GDM diagnosed according to the World Health Organization criteria.
> RESULTS:-There was no difference in the
prepregnancy
> weight or BMI, but the anemic group had more multiparas and significantly
lower
> gestational weight and BMI increments and prevalence of GDM (odds ratio
[OR]
> .52, 95% CI 0.27-0.97), which was inversely correlated (P = 0.045) with
the
> duration of anemia. To determine the independent effect of anemia on GDM, multiple logistic
> regression analysis was performed adjusting for the
effects
> of multiparity and BMI, and anemia was confirmed to be significantly
associated
> with decreased prevalence of GDM (adjusted OR 0.46, 95% CI 0.23-0.90). CONCLUSIONS:-The prevalence
> of GDM is reduced in iron deficiency anemia,
which
> probably served as a surrogate for other factors such as nutritional
inadequacy
> and reduced gestational weight gain. Further studies on the relationship between nutritional
> improvement and the increasing prevalence of GDM in
the
> developing world are warranted.
>
> PMID: 14988280 [PubMed - in process]

> ------
>
> Who loves ya. Tom Jesus Was A Vegetarian! http://jesuswasavegetarian.7h.com Man Is A Herbivore!
> http://pages.ivillage.com/ironjustice/manisaherbivore DEAD PEOPLE WALKING

>Subject: Re: iron deficiency anemia = no diabetes
>From: "Anth" [email protected]
>Date: 2/29/2004 4:32 AM Mountain Standard Time
>
>So is this an argument against too much iron in our diets?

Yes ..

It shows clearly that 'iron deficiency' is related to no diabetes. So when researchers say /
theorize hemoglobin is set too high .. when 'assessing' .. iron deficient .. anemia .. it adds to
their .. credence.