is a bike like this upgradable?

Donovan1986

Apr 8, 2012
Okay, so, someone stole my bike recently and my pops scored me this oldschool shwinn
http://oldroads.com/yis2.jpg

It was well stored and doesn't have much wrong with it, i've been wanting to do some competitions this summer, could this get the job done? Or would i get STOMPED by better newer bikes? Also, how upgradable are old bikes like this? If i went to a bike shop can i throw a new good seat/road handlebars on???

MORE INFO ON IT Male 12-speed. Chicago Schwinn headbadge. USA 4130 chromoly frame, 23 inches, measured along the seat tube. Shimano components. Downtube shifters. 27 x 1 1/8 tires. Vetta saddle. Sugino cranks.

Ergonomic upgrades like saddles, handlebars, and pedals are fairly inexpensive and very effective for improving the riding experience. I'm all for this kind of upgrade on any bike that gets ridden regularly.

Saddle rails are pretty universal in fit so you have a wide selection. Some saddles have proprietary mounting systems, but there's no need to got there.

Same with handlebars. The main qualifier is the diameter of the bar at the clamp. The standards are 25.4, 26.0, 26.4, and 31.8 (or 7) mm. Your old Schwinn is probably 25.4, which might not be in stock but is easily ordered. Measure before you buy anything. If you're planning to keep the quill stem that's on the bike, I advise sticking to styles that do not have sharp bends. These will be easier to install on a quill stem.

Originally Posted by Donovan1986 .

... how upgradable are old bikes like this? If i went to a bike shop can i throw a new good seat/road handlebars on???
FWIW. Almost ANY bike made after WWII can be readily upgraded ...

Your budget & desire are the ONLY true qualifications, IMO ...

If you are a wise shopper then you can move the majroity of the components which you might buy onto a future frame ([COLOR= #808080]just save whatever you remove in a box so you can reassemble the Schwinn to the current condition[/COLOR]) ...

FIRST, the things which you might buy for the bike which probably cannot be transferred to another frame:

1. seatpost
  2. brake calipers
  3. headset ([COLOR= #808080]these usually do NOT need to be replaced[/COLOR])

Not a particularly long list.

SECOND, the things which you can probably transfer if you ever get another frame:

1. saddle
  2. brake levers/shifters
  3. front derailleur (choose a braze-on front derailleur + adapter)
  4. rear derailleur
  5. bottom bracket
  6. crankset
  7. wheels

27" wheels are generally NOT good for racing unless everyone else is racing with the same size wheels because of their 'mass' ... a 27x1.125 tire is the equivalent to a 700x32 ... so, 27" wheels are not ideal for accelerating, etc.

Your frame's rear dropout spacing is probably 126mm ...

• 130mm is the current standard for Road bikes ...

• the rear triangle on most-but-not-all steel frames can be respaced ...
  • this requires some patience ...
  • with the rear wheel removed, you would grab each dropout & pull outward with whatever you estimate to be 30 lbs. of force
  • measure
  • repeat (many times ... allow 5-to-10 minutes) until the spacing equals 130mm
[*] THEN, you need to realign the rear derailleur hanger (dropouts) so that they are parallel to the central plane of the bike ...
  • sandwich the dropout between two pieces of scrap plywood-or-equivalent & tweak the dropout with whatever you estimate to be 5 lbs. of force
  • check
  • tweak, again

If you opt for 700c wheels, then you will probably need to buy some extra long brake calipers ([COLOR= #ff8c00]TEKTRO makes a nice set of suitable dual-pivot calipers ... expect to pay ~$60 +/-[/COLOR]).

It may be less expensive to buy a set of 700c wheels from NASHBAR, PERFORMANCE, EXCEL, COLORADO CYCLIST or eBay unless you take the time to learn how to relace & true your own hubs with 700c rims. Again, the wheelset can always be used on another bike.

• a set of CAMPAGNOLO shifters can be made compatible with the majority of SHIMANO derailleurs + 8-and-9-speed Shimano cassettes ... SunRace makes a reasonably good 7-speed freewheel which should fit on your current wheel without needing the frame to be respaced
  • 7-speed & 8-speed INDEXING are reasonably close enough that you should be able to use an 8-speed shifter with it ... again, the 10-speed Campagnolo shifter + 9-speed Shimano rear derailleur can be used to simulate 8-speed indexing

BTW. 'I' don't think you should bother changing the handlebars unless the width is wrong ([COLOR= #808080]i.e., too narrow[/COLOR]) because for most people it the lower half is cosmetic because 'I' think that most people do not ride with their hands in the Drops.

BTW. It looks as though the brake blocks are near the upper most location on the brake calipers ...

If so, then you may not need to buy new calipers because the "reach" may be sufficient if you were to fit 700c wheels in the frame ...

I would focus on making the bike comfortable and rideable for you. I wouldnt spend too much money trying to upgrade things like wheels and shifters. Yes, some of these things could be transfered over to a new frame, but it is always cheaper to buy a complete bicycle then to purchase it piece meal. Upgrade the ergo stuff, and get some nice tires and tubes. Find a bike shop that seems trustworthy and knowledgable. Ride it for a season, see how you like competing and road riding. If you dig it, then over the winter try and score a newer used ride off of ebay or craigslist.