Is a Specialized Sirrus Elite an OK fit to a 300-lb man?

Chris Herrmann

Jul 15, 2013
going through documentation on this bike i'm borrowing or buying from my brother and finding conflicting information: "Composite parts aren't good for a heavier rider", "It should be fine", "The wheels are the most impacted" - i'm just looking for a straight answer as to whether or not this bike will work for commuting/road rides for someone 5'11" and 300 lbs.

~chris

Chris Herrmann said:
going through documentation on this bike i'm borrowing or buying from my brother and finding conflicting information: "Composite parts aren't good for a heavier rider", "It should be fine", "The wheels are the most impacted" - i'm just looking for a straight answer as to whether or not this bike will work for commuting/road rides for someone 5'11" and 300 lbs. ~chris
Well, you didn't say what the year and spec of the bike are, but assuming the spec on that bike is the same as it is on this year's model, you should be fine on that bike

I have a 2012 Specialized Sirrus Comp and put ~1800 miles on it in the 10 months from Feb when I bought it, through December. I started riding it at 310+ pounds. I am still riding it about 75-100 miles a week now with no problems with the bike. No broken or bent components, the wheels have stayed true; seriously, no issues. The vast majority of the riding has been on paved roads (mostly in moderately poor condition), and a little bit of hard packed dirt/gravel. I am; however, on a second set of tires and about 250 pounds now. So to answer your question, I would say yeah, you are probably good to go.
Have fun!

You should be fine according to Specialized.
Ref: http://specialized.desk.com/customer/portal/questions/1428006-rider-weight-limit

"The weight limit on our carbon bikes is 240lb and 300lb on our alloy frames."