Is bike riding much more physcially demanding than driving a car

novice

Guest
i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

I guess you're a super stud novice. Or you aren't trying very hard.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily.

Just keep increasing you speed until you are going 30+mph on the flat.
If you still aren't breathing hard, call Johan Bruyneel and tell him
you want a job.

Ride faster!

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

"novice" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

Try masturbation

{pause}

DURING these activities.

HTH, BS

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

Hold your breath for 1 minute. Breathe for 20 seconds. Repeat.

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

Work on spinning faster. Unless of course you are alreay spinning at
120rmps'

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

If you're not doing more than 40 minutes, about the best you can do is
intervals, but only do them once a week:

Find a road with about 1/2 of a mile clear with no stops. Get a warmup
for 5 minutes. Enter your 1/2 mile stretch, and see how much real
estate you can cover in 60 seconds. Don't sprint or you'll blow up at
50 seconds. Just get up to a tough to hold speed and hold it. At the
end of the interval you should feel like you couldn't possibly have
gone faster.

Then spin slowly for 2-4 minutes -- until your HR gets back down to
warmup levels and you're at the beginning of your stretch of road).

Repeat 10 times.

-Mike

On 23 Mar 2006 22:43:50 -0800, "novice" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
>not get me breathing heavily.

You ride like a sissy.

Ron

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:00:56 -0500, "Ken C. M." <[email protected]>
wrote:

>novice wrote:
>> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
>> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
>> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
>> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.
>>

>Work on spinning faster. Unless of course you are alreay spinning at
>120rmps'

In which case he needs to shift out of the granny ring.

Ron

novice wrote:
> i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
> not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
> useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
> alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.

You need to go uphill, not downhill.

RonSonic wrote:
> On 23 Mar 2006 22:43:50 -0800, "novice" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
>>not get me breathing heavily.

> You ride like a sissy.
>
> Ron

now now. He is a "novice". As we all were at some point.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> RonSonic wrote:
>> On 23 Mar 2006 22:43:50 -0800, "novice" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>>i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
>>>not get me breathing heavily.

>> You ride like a sissy.
>>
>> Ron

> now now. He is a "novice".

Yeah. A novice TROLL! LOL

Bill "guess he didn't go for that masturbation suggestion?" S.

Per novice:
>biking just does
>not get me breathing heavily.

Ride faster.
--
PeteCresswell

"Sorni" wrote: Yeah. A novice TROLL! LOL (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I seem to have a similar problem: no matter how fast I type, I never get
out of breath.

Leo Lichtman wrote:
> "Sorni" wrote: Yeah. A novice TROLL! LOL (clip)
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I seem to have a similar problem: no matter how fast I type, I never
> get out of breath.

Again, try...aw, never mind :)

It seems obvious to me that you are doing the mountain climbing wrong

RonSonic wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 08:00:56 -0500, "Ken C. M." <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>novice wrote:
>>
>>>i'm preparing for a duoathalon(biking and running) and biking just does
>>>not get me breathing heavily. i run 40 minutes and that is pretty
>>>useless too. 40 minutes of exercise every second day is not a hell of
>>>alot. I have to go out mountain climbing to get any real exercise.
>>>

>>Work on spinning faster. Unless of course you are alreay spinning at
>>120rmps'

> In which case he needs to shift out of the granny ring.
>
> Ron

Unless he is already spinning in his highest gear at 120rpms', and if
that the case he should be moving pretty good, and should be getting a
pretty good workout. Maybe he should find some hills to climb.

Ken
--
You never have the wind with you - either it is against you or you're
having a good day. ~Daniel Behrman, The Man Who Loved Bicycles

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/

I guess I need to set up some goals so I can measure performance and
progress. Right now I just ride on the flat road for 2 hrs. Not many
hills close-by. With running, there are common standards so it easy to
assess how good you are. I guess I will get a speedometer. Are there
any training schedules for intermediate bike riders?

A flat course with no wind, average speed for two hours can be anything
from 10 mph to something well over 20 mph depending on how strong the
rider is. Pick a route, measure the distance (use google maps, yahoo
maps, or your car) and time yourself. If you can hold something over 25
mph for 2 hours without stopping, maybe you can get sponsors.

Get a cheap bike computer and see how long you can hold 20+ mph.
http://tinyurl.com/f8hhb