Is Chris Horner an a-hole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boyd Speerschne

http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/diaries/john/?id=john034

It sounds to me like Chris is that one d00d in the bunch, you know the one I'm talking about... the
one with a big mouth. The difference is, he can usually back it up. But, that's no excuse for being
an asshole.

What's the general concensus here with those who have dealt with and/or been around Horner enough to
know: Is he really loudmouth asshole or what?

Just curious.

- Boyd S. former member of Chris Horner fan club

I don't know about Chris, but it's great to see Vaughters, and Creed, riding as well as they are. I
think PA is going to be a big factor all year. Bill C

I think that people who use the term 'a-hole' fit the moniker.

"Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2003/diaries/john/?id=john034
>
> It sounds to me like Chris is that one d00d in the bunch, you know the one I'm talking about...
> the one with a big mouth. The difference is, he can usually back it up. But, that's no excuse for
> being an asshole.
>
> What's the general concensus here with those who have dealt with and/or been around Horner enough
> to know: Is he really loudmouth asshole or
what?
>
> Just curious.
>
> - Boyd S. former member of Chris Horner fan club

>
> It sounds to me like Chris is that one d00d in the bunch, you know the one I'm talking about...
> the one with a big mouth. The difference is, he can usually back it up. But, that's no excuse for
> being an asshole.
>
> What's the general concensus here with those who have dealt with and/or been around Horner enough
> to know: Is he really loudmouth asshole or
what?

I think he's a really nice guy. He used to live down here. I've probably been on at least a hundred
group simulation race type rides and only seen him yell at someone once. There were 3 of us bridging
up to a break, the 3rd guy attacked right after I took my pull (getting rid of me). Horner waited,
pulled me up to the guy and yelled, "don't attack unless you know you can make it by yourself!" The
guy didn't attack again. Most people wouldn't wait. Another thing that he did on group rides that
was cool was that he never tried to "win" (oxymoron) them. He would do most of the work in
breakaways and if we did what we could, he would let us sprint at the end while he sat up.

Horner will talk to anyone, even Freds or Cat 5s. That's training though. After reading the article,
I'm thinking perhaps he acts up in races, when the adrenaline is flowing.

Or perhaps the author misinterpreted what was happening.

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in
news:%[email protected]:

>
> I think that people who use the term 'a-hole' fit the moniker.

<snip>

Sniff.... don't hurt my feelings. I was trying to be polite by not actually cursing in the subject
line. Anyway, like I give two ***** what you think about me. When it comes to people held in high
esteem on this newsgroup, you're right up there with Tom Kunich.

> "hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:%[email protected]:
>
> >
> > I think that people who use the term 'a-hole' fit the moniker.
>
> <snip>
>
> Sniff.... don't hurt my feelings. I was trying to be polite by not actually cursing in the subject
> line. Anyway, like I give two ***** what you think about me.

Just as I am sure Horner could give two ***** what you think about him. Dave

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in news:eek:qHha.76855$9G.12766736 @twister.socal.rr.com:

<snip>

>> Sniff.... don't hurt my feelings. I was trying to be polite by not actually cursing in the
>> subject line. Anyway, like I give two ***** what you think about me.
>
> Just as I am sure Horner could give two ***** what you think about him. Dave

I'm sure he doesn't, but that's not the point. I'm sure his sponsors care. The point is that he
*should* care what his fellow pros (like John Lieswyn) think about him. The peleton won't let you
win, but the will sure help you lose if no one likes you.

Chris Horner is dedicated. Actually sometimes it reaches hieghts unheard of. At the San Francisco GP
last year he spun around in the middle of the narrow track right past the finish line and rode back
to the TV interview area. That Canadian kid that won was there being pushed aside by the reporters
so that they could speak to Lance Armstrong and no one paid the slightest attention that I could see
to Horner and he rode off finally a little perturbed I think.

But I don't think that he's any more an asshole than a lot of racers. Try boosting the pace in a
European race when the group doesn't want to go faster and see if someone doesn't 'accidently'
take you out.

>
> It sounds to me like Chris is that one d00d in the bunch, you know
the one
> I'm talking about... the one with a big mouth. The difference is,
he can
> usually back it up. But, that's no excuse for being an asshole.
>
> What's the general concensus here with those who have dealt with
and/or
> been around Horner enough to know: Is he really loudmouth asshole
or what?
>
> Just curious.
>
> - Boyd S. former member of Chris Horner fan club

"Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> Horner will talk to anyone, even Freds or Cat 5s. That's training though. After reading the
> article, I'm thinking perhaps he acts up in races, when the adrenaline is flowing.
>
> Or perhaps the author misinterpreted what was happening.

I'm surprised you didn't invoke your own theory - that most guys will be nice to anyone except those
that are a threat racing.

Also, smart riders know what to say to try to manipulate other riders. Even if you know someone's
trying to get in your head, the stuff they say can still affect you.

-Amit

"Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> > Horner will talk to anyone, even Freds or Cat 5s. That's training
though.
> > After reading the article, I'm thinking perhaps he acts up in races,
when
> > the adrenaline is flowing.
> >
> > Or perhaps the author misinterpreted what was happening.
>
> I'm surprised you didn't invoke your own theory - that most guys will be nice to anyone except
> those that are a threat racing.

I don't know about most guys, but yes, some guys definitely fit that mold. There are also guys who
are nice to guys who are better than them and dicks to everyone else.

> Also, smart riders know what to say to try to manipulate other riders. Even if you know someone's
> trying to get in your head, the stuff they say can still affect you.

That too.

There are a lot of reasons why people get mouthy on the bike. That doesn't necessarily make them
an a-hole.

Speaking of yelling - I used to get yelled at by Freds all the time at the local practice crit. I'd
ride the crit the same way I did in a race which was always be moving forward, if there's a hole,
fill it (sounds like heather's philosophy). Oftentimes it would be outside of a Fred's comfort zone
and they'd start yelling. I would just ignore them, but sometimes the crack: "well, it wouldn't be a
problem if you weren't a Fred" would entice an even more virulent bout of screaming. One time I said
that and the dude wanted to fight me. Fragile egos, fun times.

news:<[email protected]>...
> "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> > >
> > > Horner will talk to anyone, even Freds or Cat 5s. That's training
> though.
> > > After reading the article, I'm thinking perhaps he acts up in races,
> when
> > > the adrenaline is flowing.
> > >
> > > Or perhaps the author misinterpreted what was happening.
> >
> > I'm surprised you didn't invoke your own theory - that most guys will be nice to anyone except
> > those that are a threat racing.
>
>
> I don't know about most guys, but yes, some guys definitely fit that mold. There are also guys who
> are nice to guys who are better than them and dicks to everyone else.
>
>
> > Also, smart riders know what to say to try to manipulate other riders. Even if you know
> > someone's trying to get in your head, the stuff they say can still affect you.
>
>
> That too.
>
>
> There are a lot of reasons why people get mouthy on the bike. That doesn't necessarily make them
> an a-hole.
>
>
> Speaking of yelling - I used to get yelled at by Freds all the time at the local practice crit.
> I'd ride the crit the same way I did in a race which was always be moving forward, if there's a
> hole, fill it (sounds like heather's philosophy). Oftentimes it would be outside of a Fred's
> comfort zone and they'd start yelling. I would just ignore them, but sometimes the crack: "well,
> it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't a Fred" would entice an even more virulent bout of
> screaming. One time I said that and the dude wanted to fight me. Fragile egos, fun times.

I hope you know some kung-fu or something. One of these fat masters

Deez

>
> "Amit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> > >
> > > Horner will talk to anyone, even Freds or Cat 5s. That's training
> though.
> > > After reading the article, I'm thinking perhaps he acts up in races,
> when
> > > the adrenaline is flowing.
> > >
> > > Or perhaps the author misinterpreted what was happening.
> >
> > I'm surprised you didn't invoke your own theory - that most guys will be nice to anyone except
> > those that are a threat racing.
>
>
> I don't know about most guys, but yes, some guys definitely fit that mold. There are also guys who
> are nice to guys who are better than them and
dicks
> to everyone else.
>
>
> > Also, smart riders know what to say to try to manipulate other riders. Even if you know
> > someone's trying to get in your head, the stuff they say can still affect you.
>
>
> That too.
>
>
> There are a lot of reasons why people get mouthy on the bike. That doesn't necessarily make them
> an a-hole.
>
>
> Speaking of yelling - I used to get yelled at by Freds all the time at the local practice crit.
> I'd ride the crit the same way I did in a race which was always be moving forward, if there's a
> hole, fill it (sounds like heather's philosophy). Oftentimes it would be outside of a Fred's
> comfort zone and they'd start yelling. I would just ignore them, but sometimes the crack: "well,
> it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't a Fred" would entice an even more virulent bout of
> screaming. One time I said that and the dude wanted to fight me. Fragile egos, fun times.
>
I must've missed that one... Too bad, it is so funny to see where someone's idea of "personal space"
is in the pack. This is especially funny when you mix track racers into a road pack.

Mike

"Deeznuts" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> > Speaking of yelling - I used to get yelled at by Freds all the time at
the
> > local practice crit. I'd ride the crit the same way I did in a race
which
> > was always be moving forward, if there's a hole, fill it (sounds like heather's philosophy).
> > Oftentimes it would be outside of a Fred's
comfort
> > zone and they'd start yelling. I would just ignore them, but sometimes
the
> > crack: "well, it wouldn't be a problem if you weren't a Fred" would
entice
> > an even more virulent bout of screaming. One time I said that and the
dude
> > wanted to fight me. Fragile egos, fun times.
>
>
> I hope you know some kung-fu or something. One of these fat masters

The only kung fu move I know is the Groin Rip. Using that move could be a problem if the
hypothetical Fattie Master's belly prevents me from accessing that area.

Seriously though, those guys get ****** off when we're on our bikes in a pack situation. If they get
freaked out because you're too close to them, then they really can't do anything (except yell).

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Chris Horner is dedicated. Actually sometimes it reaches hieghts unheard of. At the San Francisco
> GP last year he spun around in the middle of the narrow track right past the finish line and rode
> back to the TV interview area. That Canadian kid that won was there being pushed aside by the
> reporters so that they could speak to Lance Armstrong and no one paid the slightest attention that
> I could see to Horner and he rode off finally a little perturbed I think.
>
You read minds too ?

> But I don't think that he's any more an asshole than a lot of racers. Try boosting the pace in a
> European race when the group doesn't want to go faster and see if someone doesn't 'accidently'
> take you out.
>
Yeah, tell me about it.

> Seriously though, those guys get ****** off when we're on our bikes in a pack situation. If
> they get freaked out because you're too close to them, then they really can't do anything
> (except yell).
>

They could get all wigged out and crash on you, burying you under a big pasty flabbalanche. The next
time you feel like yelling at one, just imagine being suffocated under some big, pale, hairy, sweaty
master's flab pile.

Stop it, you're turning Henry on.

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote
in
> message
>
> > Seriously though, those guys get ****** off when we're on our
bikes in a
> > pack situation. If they get freaked out because you're too close
to them,
> > then they really can't do anything (except yell).
> >
>
> They could get all wigged out and crash on you, burying you under a
big
> pasty flabbalanche. The next time you feel like yelling at one,
just
> imagine being suffocated under some big, pale, hairy, sweaty
master's flab
> pile.

"hold my beer and watch this..." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
>
> "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> > Seriously though, those guys get ****** off when we're on our bikes in a pack situation. If they
> > get freaked out because you're too close to
them,
> > then they really can't do anything (except yell).
> >
>
> They could get all wigged out and crash on you, burying you under a big pasty flabbalanche.

Flabbalanche. Nice wordplay.

>The next time you feel like yelling at one, just imagine being suffocated under some big, pale,
>hairy, sweaty master's flab pile.

The Flabbalanchers are the ones doing the yelling. I just egg them on - it's good clean fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.