Is custom built that much better than off-the-peg?

fearby

Jul 19, 2003
I am riding a custom built Reynolds steel frame which is very comfortable but was thinking of getting a new lighter frame.Is it worth the extra expense of getting custom built or just go for a good off the peg frame, one where I know the builder knows exactly what he is doing in terms of geometry (Colnago, Ciocc, De Rosa to name a few)?
:confused:
I am not afraid of setting things up to fit my anatomy and I am not particularly unusually proportioned and that would seem the only reasons to get a custom frame to me, apart from the after sales service etc.

fearby said:
I am riding a custom built Reynolds steel frame which is very comfortable but was thinking of getting a new lighter frame.Is it worth the extra expense of getting custom built or just go for a good off the peg frame, one where I know the builder knows exactly what he is doing in terms of geometry (Colnago, Ciocc, De Rosa to name a few)?
:confused:
I am not afraid of setting things up to fit my anatomy and I am not particularly unusually proportioned and that would seem the only reasons to get a custom frame to me, apart from the after sales service etc.
Custon does not necessarily cost more,especially when you start talking Colnago and DeRosa.I had a well regarded custom guy quote me a price for Tig welded top shelf light steel that was well below the typical going price for the bigger stock names in steel.It would also have been easily 1/2-3/4 pound lighter for the frame.

I got a custom ti frame this Winter and it is by far the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. I had pretty much given up the sport because of lower back trouble, but have found it much reduced on the new bike.

In my case, it was more expensive than the other bikes I looked at at the time (partly because many were on end-of-season sale), but I expect to keep the frame for a long, long time, and to be able to because it fits almost perfectly.

Personally, I don't think I'd go back to off-the-shelf.