Is cycling a sport that can help you grow taller?

LS17

Jun 24, 2005
I know basketball and swimming supposedly help you grow taller....what about cycling?

LS17 said:
I know basketball and swimming supposedly help you grow taller....what about cycling?

All myth. NO sport makes anyone grow taller. :rolleyes:

frenchyge said:
Sure, but don't our torsos and arms get shorter at the same time? ;)
You have to balance it out with a bunch of chin-ups. Long legs and short arms look silly. :p

Not sure about cycling, but basketball must make you grow taller...have you checked the height of college and pro basketball players lately? :rolleyes:

Good nuitrition and being healthy whilst growing can help other than that you could try a medieval rack

LS17 said:
Are you retarded? You're the same person that wants to listen to MP3s in traffic. Please do and cleanse the gene pool for us.

Don Shipp said:
I am sure that I am taller now than when I first started cycling.

Hey, I noticed the same thing. I started riding bikes when I was about 8. Went from around 3'8" to 6'2" in ten years. Lost interest in cycling when I got out of college... good thing, too, or I'd probably be 20 feet tall by now...

JohnO said:
Hey, I noticed the same thing. I started riding bikes when I was about 8. Went from around 3'8" to 6'2" in ten years. Lost interest in cycling when I got out of college... good thing, too, or I'd probably be 20 feet tall by now...
You could probably shave a few inches off if you pedaled backwards now and then.

Hold on a minute!

The "fact" that playing basketball increases height sounds like pure hogwash...

However, I could see the possibility of someone increasing their height slightly by swimming several hours per day... It would lead to a slight decompression of the vertebral discs, and perhaps increase heights by millimeters... Of course the effect would probably reverse itself quickly if one were to cease spending many hours in a pool.

Could bending forward as we do while riding a bike also lead to a slight decompression of the discs????

Of course if growing tall is the objective, my list of the top five ways to increase height.

5) Swim at least five hours per day.
4) Live in outer space at least four days per week.
3) Hang from a bar for at least three hours per day
2) Two words: Good posture.

and the top way to increase height...

1) Have taller ancestors

:)

dgregory57 said:
However, I could see the possibility of someone increasing their height slightly by swimming several hours per day... It would lead to a slight decompression of the vertebral discs, and perhaps increase heights by millimeters... Of course the effect would probably reverse itself quickly if one were to cease spending many hours in a pool.
The total amount of disc compression under physiological loading only adds up to a milimeter or two for the entire spinal column. If you completely loosened up the muscles that hold the vertebral bodies together, the discs might swell enough to give you 10mm. Now for the bad news. Intervertebral discs are designed to function under a diurnal loading cycle. Studies have shown that disc degeneration is greatly accelerated by imobilization/lack of compression.

John M said:
All myth. NO sport makes anyone grow taller. :rolleyes:
Sorry but it is not a myth, I was barely 4 feet tall when I started riding a bike, and thanks to cycling I am now 6'4" tall.

wilmar13 said:
Sorry but it is not a myth, I was barely 4 feet tall when I started riding a bike, and thanks to cycling I am now 6'4" tall.
Hah! I wish. Spent much of my teenage years (and still spend much of my free time now) on a bike and couldn't make it over 5'. Then again maybe I would have only been 3'8" without.........

Eden said:
Hah! I wish. Spent much of my teenage years (and still spend much of my free time now) on a bike and couldn't make it over 5'. Then again maybe I would have only been 3'8" without.........
You probably waited too long to upgrade from your 20" wheel bicycle. That is a sure way to stunt your growth. Even worse than growth stagnation... many folks ride BMX/freestyle bikes well into adult hood, and they have almost certainly experienced shrinkage since their clothes are so baggy.

wilmar13 said:
You probably waited too long to upgrade from your 20" wheel bicycle. That is a sure way to stunt your growth. Even worse than growth stagnation... many folks ride BMX/freestyle bikes well into adult hood, and they have almost certainly experienced shrinkage since their clothes are so baggy.
But the wheels on my road bike are sized in metric. That made me go from six whole feet to less than two meters.

LS17 said:
One of these options may help:

Maybe if you buy a frame that is way too big for you, that really stretches you out and stay on it all the hours that God sends - then maybe, just maybe, you'll grow.

Clip into your pedals first and then get someone to raise your seat until your legs are stretched as far as they can go, and then ride a couple of centuries.

Oh, yes, and only eat long foods like spaghetti, and carrots, licorice sticks, and only French bread sticks, and no short stumpy food like cabbage or apples, or sliced bread.

Don't Smoke.