Is cycling better than sex?

Peter

Guest
Last night, as we all sat around the table at a coffee shop following
our moonlight bike ride, there was discussion regarding how much cycling
we'd need to do to equate to the energy consumed from the carrot cakes
and lattes.

Well, according to the website www.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
activity burns around 70 calories per hour, which is roughly the
equivalent the energy absorbed from one glass of wine and a carrot (yes,
you have to eat the carrot). Whereas, leisurely cycling at around 18 to
20 km/h will burn 420 calories per hour. As a leisure cyclist you can
consume 5.3 glasses of wine for every hour you are on the bike (you may
have some explaining to do to Mr Plod however). And someone more
inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
still remain trim.

So there you have it. In terms of becoming Australia's biggest loser,
cycling is far better than sex.

Peter

"Peter" wrote:

> Well, according to the website www.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
> activity burns around 70 calories per hour, which is roughly the
> equivalent the energy absorbed from one glass of wine and a carrot (yes,
> you have to eat the carrot). ...

>...And someone more
> inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
> knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
> still remain trim.

OK. So now I want to see you wolf down 37.3 carrots after your next hour
time trial. It's got to be done - all in the name of research!

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Peter Signorini wrote:
> "Peter" wrote:
>> inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
>> knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
>> still remain trim.

> OK. So now I want to see you wolf down 37.3 carrots after your next hour
> time trial. It's got to be done - all in the name of research!

Rather than 37.3 carrots I have calculated approximately 12 TimTams for
said 60 min @ 35kph. I'd prefer the TimTams.

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:

> Peter Signorini wrote:
> > "Peter" wrote:
> >> inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
> >> knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
> >> still remain trim.

> > OK. So now I want to see you wolf down 37.3 carrots after your next hour
> > time trial. It's got to be done - all in the name of research!
> >

> Rather than 37.3 carrots I have calculated approximately 12 TimTams for
> said 60 min @ 35kph. I'd prefer the TimTams.

That must be why they only put 11 in each packet.

On Apr 3, 8:58 am, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Peter" wrote:
> > Well, according to the websitewww.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
> > activity burns around 70 calories per hour, which is roughly the
> > equivalent the energy absorbed from one glass of wine and a carrot (yes,
> > you have to eat the carrot). ...
> >...And someone more
> > inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
> > knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
> > still remain trim.

> OK. So now I want to see you wolf down 37.3 carrots after your next hour
> time trial. It's got to be done - all in the name of research!

FYI, carrots are quite high GI, they're a good glycogen window
filler :)

Bleve said:
On Apr 3, 8:58 am, "Peter Signorini" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Peter" wrote:
> > Well, according to the websitewww.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
> > activity burns around 70 calories per hour, which is roughly the
> > equivalent the energy absorbed from one glass of wine and a carrot (yes,
> > you have to eat the carrot). ...
> >...And someone more
> > inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
> > knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
> > still remain trim.

> OK. So now I want to see you wolf down 37.3 carrots after your next hour
> time trial. It's got to be done - all in the name of research!

FYI, carrots are quite high GI, they're a good glycogen window
filler :)

not to mention the antioxidant intake and heighten visual acuity achieved in their consumption

On Apr 3, 8:48 am, [email protected] (Peter) wrote:
> Last night, as we all sat around the table at a coffee shop following
> our moonlight bike ride, there was discussion regarding how much cycling
> we'd need to do to equate to the energy consumed from the carrot cakes
> and lattes.
>
> Well, according to the websitewww.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
> activity burns around 70 calories per hour, which is roughly the
> equivalent the energy absorbed from one glass of wine and a carrot (yes,
> you have to eat the carrot). Whereas, leisurely cycling at around 18 to
> 20 km/h will burn 420 calories per hour. As a leisure cyclist you can
> consume 5.3 glasses of wine for every hour you are on the bike (you may
> have some explaining to do to Mr Plod however). And someone more
> inclined to put in a big effort and time trial at around 35 km/h you can
> knock back 5.4 cans of coke or 37.3 carrots at the end of each hour and
> still remain trim.
>
> So there you have it. In terms of becoming Australia's biggest loser,
> cycling is far better than sex.
>
> Peter

My first thought was this was a silly question, because I don't have
to choose. Then I realised that the main reason most early morning
riders are out there is because they have no chance of "getting any"
if they stay at home. On the odd occasion when there is sex on offer,
the bike stays parked. So sex must be better than cycling, on the
criterion of preference.

Donga

On 2007-04-02, Duracell Bunny (aka Bruce)

> If it really is, you are doing it all wrong .... :D

Maybe you're doing cycling wrong :p

(Actually, now I have an image of a cyclical ***** in my mind. Dirty
mind)

--
TimC
I hereby declare that from now on, the singular of "people" is "peopum".

Donga said:
My first thought was this was a silly question, because I don't have
to choose. Then I realised that the main reason most early morning
riders are out there is because they have no chance of "getting any"
if they stay at home. On the odd occasion when there is sex on offer,
the bike stays parked. So sex must be better than cycling, on the
criterion of preference.

Nah, take another angle. Cyclists, being fit, exuberant types, are more creative with their hobbies and utilise all hours of the day for other enjoyable pursuits.

On 2007-04-02, Duracell Bunny (aka Bruce)

> If it really is, you are doing it all wrong .... :D

Maybe you're doing cycling wrong :p

(Actually, now I have an image of a cyclical ***** in my mind. Dirty
mind)

--
TimC
Tim, you've been spending too much time at your telescope!

On Apr 3, 11:09 am, TimC <[email protected]
astro.swin.edu.au> wrote:
> On 2007-04-02, Duracell Bunny (aka Bruce)
>

> > If it really is, you are doing it all wrong .... :D

> Maybe you're doing cycling wrong :p
>
> (Actually, now I have an image of a cyclical ***** in my mind. Dirty
> mind)
>
> --
> TimC
> I hereby declare that from now on, the singular of "people" is "peopum".
> -- Kibo

There are websites for that Tim...

In answer to the initial question... why not ask this couple..?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9M2POZwpZA

--

PiledHigher said:
There are websites for that Tim...

Now didn't Drunkcyclist have a link to such a site that combined the two? Not that I ever saw it, only got told in passing you know, honest.

cfsmtb said:
Now didn't Drunkcyclist have a link to such a site that combined the two? Not that I ever saw it, only got told in passing you know, honest.
Didn't Drunkcyclist get hit by a car? Did some hospital time? It was a while ago so I think he may be recovered.

Of course, I couldn't possibly check his site to find out - I am at work and the net police would jump on me for accessing such sites (I hear).

SteveA

Peter wrote:

> Well, according to the website www.calorie-count.com, vigorous sexual
> activity burns around 70 calories per hour,

You've got that wrong I think. From the website

Calories Burned for Activity: Sexual Activity, Active
Vigorous Effort

105 calories per hour

Although, I guess it depends what you yourself consider vigorous sexual
activity. From the same website

Calories Burned for Activity: Quiet Lying Quietly
Doing Nothing, Lying In Bed Awake, Listening To Music (Not Talking or
Reading

70 calories per hour

Evan <evan@thegroup> wrote:
> Although, I guess it depends what you yourself consider vigorous sexual
> activity.

Exactly

I was waiting for someone to pick up my mistake. The carrot and glass of
wine comparison still holds though.

On Apr 3, 11:45 am, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2of...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> Donga Wrote:
>

> > My first thought was this was a silly question, because I don't have
> > to choose. Then I realised that the main reason most early morning
> > riders are out there is because they have no chance of "getting any"
> > if they stay at home. On the odd occasion when there is sex on offer,
> > the bike stays parked. So sex must be better than cycling, on the
> > criterion of preference.

> Nah, take another angle. Cyclists, being fit, exuberant types, are more
> creative with their hobbies and utilise all hours of the day for other
> enjoyable pursuits.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

That works for weekends, but sex during working days would require
some creativity! And after work, well, after the cooking, cleaning,
ironing, paying the bills, yakking on a.b. ... sex?

donga