Health Nutrition and Supplements · Public discussion

is Icecream that bad for cyclists?

Started by jcueto · · Last activity · 13 posts · 4,750 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Health Nutrition and Supplements
Published
8 December 2005
Last activity
25 January 2006
Original author
jcueto
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,750
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I allways hear how bad was icecream for cyclists, however I think of this as a myth. Of course icecream Kcal per gram are high (we are talking real icecream no subtitutes), but besides the fat/sugar hidding into each spoonful of icream is there anything you need to take care?

    (hurry up because I have a pint of ben and jerry´s pistachio pistachio in my fridge).

    Jose

  2. Depends on how serious you are about cycling, if you feel the pro ranks may be for you, then no ice cream is not for you. If you are trying to lose weight and not making progress then you might want to hold off on the ice cream. But, If you are semi happy with your riding and current physic (I don't think anyone is 100% happy with either of these), then have some but as with anything enjoy it in moderation (maybe have that pint in 2 sittings rather than one 🙂).

  3. I think if you indulge anything within reason it can't be too bad. I know pro riders have an occasional beer. There's probably ice cream in there too. I try to stick to Dreyers because when you compare other brands it usually has the lower fat content. Fudge bars are mentioned as probably the best ice cream type treat if you call em ice cream. (Skinny cow brand is great)

    http://weightloss.about.com/cs/eatsmart/a/aa100703a.htm

    http://www.prevention.com/article/0,5778,s1-4-62-289-1818-1,00.html

  4. The calcium in icecream is good for cyclists.

  5. Everything in moderation my friend. 😉

  6. Try soft serve instead. The key ingredient for hard ice cream is saturated fat but in soft serve it is milk. More whey protein aswell as less fat solids. Probably still not great but sounds good if you are dying for ice cream.

  7. Don't buy Double Rainbow because it's awesome and there better not be any shortages.

    You could do Sorbet if you're worried about the saturated fat. DR shows a 100% and a 98% fat free. I still haven't found a fat free ice cream that I like.

    http://www.doublerainbow.com/products/index.html

  8. One thing I've learned is that if it tastes good, looks good, or smells good, it's likely bad for you. 😄

  9. [quote="jcueto"]I allways hear how bad was icecream for cyclists, however I think of this as a myth. Of course icecream Kcal per gram are high (we are talking real icecream no subtitutes), but besides the fat/sugar hidding into each spoonful of icream is there anything you need to take care?

    Hello Jose, Ice cream is only bad for you when you spill it down the front of yer nice new Lycra body suit. When you do that, someone will always say have you been eating icecream.🙄 The answer is, don't spill yer icecream or if you do, don't do it when someone can see.....?

    Remember a little now and again will not hurt, however if you consume a lot often then you're in trouble, and I mean serious trouble, we know who you are and will post "Jose is an icecream junky".........?😄

    Don't worry, have fun..........?

  10. As long as you lick it off a pretty girl, no. 😄

  11. I tend to eat about a 1/2 to 3/4 gallon a week during the "on" season. I feel I deserve it, and I'm not gaining weight... so... why not. Plus, frankly, I expend a PILE of calories per week, gotta do something to get them back, can only eat so many bagels and healthy food. 🙂

    Plus, and this is the honest truth, I get some kind of sick pleasure out of being the skinny guy in the icecream parlor eating 2 banana splits while the fat guy across from me has a small cone.. 😄

    Or, while my overweight friends have a coffee or a diet cola, I stuff down a large Chocolate shake AND a banana split. Of course they are in utter denial on why I can do this, and they "Hardly eat at all"... 🙄

    That said, when the season was over this summer, and I started to slow down "saddle time" a bit, BAMMO, I put on 10 pounds the first 60 days. Had to adjust my diet to account for less time in the saddle. All is good again. 😉

  12. I eat ice cream, cookies, carrot cake, pecan pie, candies, - and I don't gain weight. I just eat a little of it like 3 spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry's, less than 1/8 pie of high calorie pecan pie, a 380 calorie carrot cake with milk for breakfast, etc.

  13. JTE83 said:

    I eat ice cream, cookies, carrot cake, pecan pie, candies, - and I don't gain weight. I just eat a little of it like 3 spoonfuls of Ben & Jerry's, less than 1/8 pie of high calorie pecan pie, a 380 calorie carrot cake with milk for breakfast, etc.


    I am sure der kaiser has drowned a few ice creams in his time.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.