UK and Europe · Public discussion

Is it pretentious wearing yellow jersey?

Started by Therealslimshad · · Last activity · 34 posts · 3,155 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
25 August 2003
Last activity
1 September 2003
Original author
Therealslimshad
Posts
34
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,155
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 34
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes down
    the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However, it
    suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour
    with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my
    concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other
    cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

  2. TheRealSlimShady said:

    do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour

    No way. If you're going to race, or train with pros, maybe wear a neutral jersey. As long as you're
    just cycling for fun, no-one is going to mistake you for Armstrong no matter how yellow your jersey.
    Besides, it's not an official TdF yellow jersey; other cyclists will notice that. What may be
    considered pretentious is wearing full pro team kit (jersey, shorts, socks, mits, maybe even the
    bike) when you're not on the team.

  3. TheRealSlimShady said:

    safety and visibility was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet
    and haven't seen any other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I saw a pack of about a dozen roadies all in identical yellow jerseys just out of Crianlarich
    yesterday, so there are more than just Mr. Armstrong's out there...

    Quoted message said:

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    I doubt if I'm a dude, but my colours are usually reasonably dependent on the contents of whatever
    bargain bins I've been trawling, and I just use general outdoor stuff rather than cycling specific
    jerseys (having rear pockets is not only pointless but actually less comfy on the 'bent).

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email hidden]
    dundee.ac.uk~pjclinch

  4. TheRealSlimShady said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a
    colour with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and
    visibility was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't
    seen any other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

    I have a yellow jersey and so do a lot of people I know. It is a visible colour, and I dont feel
    pretentious when wearing it. if however it had a US Postal logo on it like lances I might do.

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email hidden]

    alexpg.ath.cxcycling.php westerleycycling.org.ukwesterleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  5. "TheRealSlimShady" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    it suddenlycrossed my


    mind -

    Quoted message said:

    do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

    No problem with people in yellow jerseys. After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible. But if
    its a Credit Lyonnais Tdf replica then you will get some ridicule.

    Stan Cox

  6. "TheRealSlimShady" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    it suddenlycrossed my


    mind -

    Quoted message said:

    do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

    At the end of the day wear what you feel comfortable wearing - I personally don't give a stuff what
    other people think.

  7. Stan Cox said:

    After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.

    No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just like
    the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

  8. Ewoud Dronkert <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Stan Cox said:

    After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.

    No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just like
    the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

    True but Stan is also right. It's so that the overall leader can be distinguished from the others.

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  9. No problem, wear what you want. I spotted three riders up ahead of me a few weeks ago, the two
    wearing yellow (Huddersfield CTC) jerseys stood out much more than the one wearing black. If any
    others, cyclists or not judge one by the colour/style of ones jersey then frankly I couldn't care
    less about their opinion. Never judge a book by the cover.

    "TheRealSlimShady" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    it suddenlycrossed my


    mind -

    Quoted message said:

    do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a colour with it's TdF
    conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility was my concern.
    What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any other cyclists
    wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    Slim

  10. TheRealSlimShady said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better.

    It is the best for that.

    Quoted message said:

    However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    such a colour with it's TdF conotations?

    No, but you will get some comments from pedestrians and car passengers. ...I wouldn't if they were
    funny or witty!

    Quoted message said:

    What colour is yours?

    Yellow if I've got the choice.

    ~PB

  11. Quoted message said:

    However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    such a colour with it's TdF conotations?

    I wear loads of yellow on the bike. It's visible. No other reasons.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  12. I try to wear high-vis colours too, yellow, red, etc. I'd rather be seen to be pretentious than to
    not be seen at all.

    --
    ...meandering mule...

  13. "wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    However, it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing
    such a colour with it's TdF conotations?

    I wear loads of yellow on the bike. It's visible. No other reasons.

    Cheers, helen s

    Come, come now .... I'm sure you are wearing that yellow TdF Randonnee jersey at every opportunity!

    Rob

  14. "mule" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I try to wear high-vis colours too, yellow, red, etc. I'd rather be seen to be pretentious than to
    not be seen at all.


    Top line, mule. The eve before my first proper tour I realised I had only one shirt so rushed round
    to delve in the LBS sale bin. I bought one that seemed less gaudy than the others. I then wore it
    every other day across France including when pushing my bike up part of a Pyrenean pass. Weeks later
    I discovered that the pattern of colours that looked so random close up spelt out "king of the
    mountains" from a distance. Now that must have looked pretentious. tony R.

  15. wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX must be edykated coz e writed:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Come, come now .... I'm sure you are wearing that yellow TdF Randonnee jersey at every
    opportunity!

    Oh I own up to that one ;-) However, I do wear a lot of yellow that *isn't* my randonnee jersey,
    honest guv'nor :-)

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    This is sent from a redundant email Mail sent to it is dumped My correct one can be gleaned from
    h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*ol*$*.*$$c$om*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~


    I reckon that it is even worse than wearing bib shorts.

    --
    Ian

    catrike.co.ukcatrike.co.uk

  16. TheRealSlimShady said:

    Hi, I have just bought my first cycling jersey - a Nike plain yellow one with some blue stripes
    down the sides. I bought it this colour so that the bleedin' motorists can see me better. However,
    it suddenlycrossed my mind - do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a
    colour with it's TdF conotations? It never crossed my mind when I bought it - safety and visibility
    was my concern. What do you reckon? I don't ride with any other riders yet and haven't seen any
    other cyclists wearing this colour when driving about.

    I am just going to do my own thing but what do you dudes reckon? What colour is yours?

    I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  17. "Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.

    I've got four polka dot jerseys. The thought of the shame of getting off on a climb while wearing
    one of these is the only thing that gets me to the top on occasion.

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute and benefit.

  18. "mule" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Ewoud Dronkert <[email hidden]> wrote in :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Stan Cox said:

    After all the Tdf uses yellow because its visible.

    No, because the original race organizing newspaper (l'Auto) was printed on yellow paper; just
    like the leaders jersey of the Giro d'Italia is pink because of the Gazzetta dello Sport.

    True but Stan is also right. It's so that the overall leader can be distinguished from the others.


    I thank you...... I know that the paper was printed on yellow paper but they wanted something to
    make the leader obvious & yellow was the way to go...

    Stan Cox

  19. "Robert Bruce" <robatanalytical-dynamicsdotcodotyoukay> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "Ben" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I've got a King Of The Mountains ones which currently I daren't wear.

    I've got four polka dot jerseys. The thought of the shame of getting off


    on

    Quoted message said:

    a climb while wearing one of these is the only thing that gets me to the


    top

    Quoted message said:

    on occasion.

    --
    Rob


    I weigh 90kg (14 stone...ish) and have been considering getting a Polka Dot jersey as a joke on
    myself. I am much more likely to wear that and the green jersey than I am a Tdf yellow.

    Stan Cox

  20. "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    TheRealSlimShady said:

    do other cyclists think that I am being pretentious wearing such a


    colour

    Quoted message said:


    No way. If you're going to race, or train with pros, maybe wear a neutral jersey. As long as
    you're just cycling for fun, no-one is going to mistake you for Armstrong no matter how yellow
    your jersey. Besides, it's not an official TdF yellow jersey; other cyclists will notice that.
    What may be considered pretentious is wearing full pro team kit (jersey, shorts, socks, mits,
    maybe even the bike) when you're not on the team.

    [censored]. I wear a TdF yellow jersey (USPS one) for fun, why, coz I am a fan! Nothing
    pretentious in that!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.