is it safe to invert the tyre?

haggie

Sep 27, 2003
I punctured my tyre and tube. Tube was replaced and the gash on tyre was glued. My bike mechanic said if i wanted to turn the tyre inside out as he had done so on his bike tyre when it got gashed.

I said yes but not sure if grip suffer. I have michelin race tyres.

Anyone know if its ok?

Sounds like a dangerous idea. The rubber (the stuff that grips to the road) is on the outside.

Trash the tyre and get a new one.

Thats one of the worst ideas i have EVER heard!!!

you would then be wearing through the casing which is what holds the tyre together, would have no grip and i reckon you would be lucky if the bead held

spend the cash and buy a new tyre

and find a new mechanic!!!

I reckon it'll help your cornering heaps, geat advice from a great mechanic :D

cheers!

Are you sure you understood him correctly? Maybe he meant for you to use it on the other side of the bike.

Originally posted by haggie
I punctured my tyre and tube. Tube was replaced and the gash on tyre was glued. My bike mechanic said if i wanted to turn the tyre inside out as he had done so on his bike tyre when it got gashed.

I said yes but not sure if grip suffer. I have michelin race tyres.

Anyone know if its ok?
That is the worst hooey(C*AP) I have ever heard. If the casing was damaged,toss it!.

i want to see a picture!!

plus, usually the bead is not symetrical so it wouldn't hold to the rim as well after inflation

That has got to be a receipe for disaster.
Grip won't be the only thing that suffers

What the heck does "invert the tire" mean? How does one invert the tire? Sounds a bit unrealistic... Invert means exactly that, turn upside down... How can you do that with a tire that rotates therefore constantly moving the up and the down changing the position... Yeeha!