General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

is lying down after eating bad for digestion?

Started by Ville Terminale · · Last activity · 15 posts · 2,250 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
16 February 2004
Last activity
17 February 2004
Original author
Ville Terminale
Posts
15
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
2,250
Views / 30 days
18

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–15 of 15
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. i heard it is. is it?

  2. ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    Jill

  3. On 14 Feb 2004 10:44:34 -0800, [email hidden] (ville

    terminale) said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    People who suffer from heartburn or acid reflux (GERD) often have a weakness in the muscle that's
    supposed to keep stomach contents from rising back up into the esophagus. One of the recommendations
    to avoid this is to keep gravity on the job -- i.e., the more upright you are, the less chance for
    'heartburn.' Thus, waiting for food to start its travels through the digestive system is helpful.
    The condition/symptoms are often related to overweight. So while there's no harm in taking a nap
    after dinner, if one "just can't move" after a meal and suffer from heartburn, one might try either
    napping in a chair or moderating one's intake.

  4. jmcquown said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for
    people who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.

    As for the swimming after eating idea, it's not like it's fatal if you do. But generally
    people agree that if you've eaten a large or rich meal, strenuous activity afterward isn't
    going to help digestion and may increase your tendency to get cramps. I find that a nice walk
    after a meal helps with digestion.

    Ariane

  5. While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking said:

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.


    I guess it's a good idea, if you've had a big meal, to wait for a while before swimming.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ# 251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: nut.house.cxcgi
    bin/nemwiki.pl?ISFN "However, as far as anything has a heart (i.e. bit in the middle), then I'd
    grant a potato a heart." Lloyd Gilbert (afdaniain)

  6. jmcquown said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    Jill

    If you suffer from GERD (a condition in which reflux from your stomach burns your esophagus,) it is
    not only advisable to wait one hour prior to going to sleep, but that you elevate the head at least
    25 degrees or more to prevent reflux. Of course, it depends on what you eat, and how bad the disease
    is, and whether you are under treatment with a PPI (proton pump inhibitor like Nexium,) et cetera.

    Rich

    --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  7. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    Jill

    when food in stomach, blood flow to stomach and not as much blood for rest of body. so if you
    exercise hard after big meal, not get enough oxygen for rest of body as blood flow more to stomachy.

    it's like no good study after eat. blood go to stomach and less for head. that make for more drowsy
    and it harder to study.

  8. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    Jill

    I hope you're being sarcastic, Jill. Either that, or you've never had reflux. It's a God-awful
    experience and lying down within 2-3 hours of eating is enough for me to have to go through it.

    kimberly

  9. Ariane Jenkins said:
    jmcquown said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for people
    who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.

    The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'. But I can only
    imagine it is due to the fact that the body uses up more energy when trying to digest food,
    therefore you may become tired more easily.

    Similiarly, the body slows down due to the digestive processes and thus you should not eat late and
    night and then go to bed when your entire metabolism is slowed. Fat cannot be burned off due to
    inertia. This is why I don't generally eat after 7:00 p.m.

    Jill

    Quoted message said:

    As for the swimming after eating idea, it's not like it's fatal if you do. But generally
    people agree that if you've eaten a large or rich meal, strenuous activity afterward isn't
    going to help digestion and may increase your tendency to get cramps. I find that a nice
    walk after a meal helps with digestion.

    Ariane

  10. Ariane Jenkins said:
    jmcquown said:
    ville terminale said:

    i heard it is. is it?

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.

    I'm curious, do you actually have sources for this? I've always heard that particularly for
    people who suffer from heartburn or GERD, lying down after eating should be avoided.

    As for the swimming after eating idea, it's not like it's fatal if you do. But generally
    people agree that if you've eaten a large or rich meal, strenuous activity afterward isn't
    going to help digestion and may increase your tendency to get cramps. I find that a nice
    walk after a meal helps with digestion.

    Ariane


    How this evolved was the situation in which people with coronary artery disease dropped dead or
    developed massive heart attacks for exerting themselves after large meals. The exertion only served
    as a catalyst for the event; the event was going to take place within the next few hours or days
    (there was an unstable lesion in one of the coronaries, and the exertion initiated the cascade of
    plaque rupture, et cetera.)

    Rich

    --
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

    Dum spiro, spero. (Cicero) As long as I breathe, I hope.

  11. MEow said:

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, jmcquown of said:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Nuts. Just like 'wait 30 minutes before swimming' after eating is a myth.


    I guess it's a good idea, if you've had a big meal, to wait for a while before swimming.

    Depends on what you mean by "swimming." When I was a kid, I used to spend a good deal of time at
    an aunt & uncle's house in Florida. My uncle owned a pool building business and he always had an
    amazing pool with waterfall, slide, diving board, and we always jumped in the pool right after we
    ate, even after a heavy meal. The only warning we got was not to be too energetic because it
    could cause muscle cramping. Sure enough, when I got too energetic (playing water polo,
    whatever), I did get cramps in my legs. In a deep body of water, someone who gets cramps can
    drown so a good rule of thumb is to simply take it easy after eating a heavy meal, but avoiding
    swimming entirely is overkill.

  12. MEow said:

    I guess it's a good idea, if you've had a big meal, to wait for a while before swimming.

    The idea that one must wait after eating before going in the water lest dire danger strike the
    impatient swimmer is an urban legend:

    snopes.comhourwait.htm

    --Lia

  13. jmcquown said:


    The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'. But I can only
    imagine it is due to the fact that the body uses up more energy when trying to digest food,
    therefore you may become tired more easily.


    [snip]

    I actually meant if you had any sources re: the whole lying down after you eat theory being
    nuts. It seems like there's more common sense to that than the swimming myth, anyway.

    My mother always told my brother and I about no swimming for an hour after we ate, but I
    suspect it was to keep us out of the water so she didn't have to watch us for a while
    after a meal. ;P

    Ariane

  14. O

    Quoted message said:

    If you suffer from GERD (a condition in which reflux from your stomach burns your esophagus,) it
    is not only advisable to wait one hour prior to going to sleep, but that you elevate the head at
    least 25 degrees or more to prevent reflux. Of course, it depends on what you eat, and how bad
    the disease is, and whether you are under treatment with a PPI (proton pump inhibitor like
    Nexium,) et cetera.

    for me it is about 2 to 3 hours. and if I eat something with grain in it it could be 5 hours. I go
    to bed hungry if I can.

    --
    Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes Custom made wooden planes at reasonable prices See knight-knight-
    toolworks.com For prices and ordering instructions.

  15. Ariane Jenkins said:
    jmcquown said:


    The only sources I have are my mother telling me 'don't go swimming for an hour'.

    Quoted message said:

    My mother always told my brother and I about no swimming for an hour after we ate, but I
    suspect it was to keep us out of the water so she didn't have to watch us for a while
    after a meal.

    active.comstory.cfm

    has a few answers. Swimming after eating is debatable; lying down after eating with a heartburn/GERD
    problem isn't.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.