General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Is Red Onion the same as Vidalia?

Started by The Wolf · · Last activity · 29 posts · 1,146 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
22 January 2004
Last activity
24 January 2004
Original author
The Wolf
Posts
29
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,146
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–20 of 29
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.
    --
    =======================================
    "Democrats [censored] me off," Eric Cartman.
    =======================================

  2. Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.
    --

    Vidalia is a sweet yellow onion, named for the place in Georgia where they originated. If your
    grocer doesn't have Vidalias, another sweet yellow onion will do, such as Walla Walla.

    Sheila

  3. Vidalia is a sweet onion from Georgia...they are not red...Walla Walla is a
    sweet onion from Washington state...they're not red either..most red onions
    are used in salads....they aren't sweet but have a different taste than
    yellow or white onion...the Walla Wallas and Vidalias are yellow and don;t
    keep very long...if you find them, best to use them shortly after
    buying...and don;t buy any that feel the least bit "mushy"...it means they
    are on the way to the goarbage can....hope this helps.....LG
    "The Wolf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called


    Vidalia.

    Quoted message said:

    --
    =======================================
    "Democrats [censored] me off," Eric Cartman.
    =======================================

  4. On 01/21/2004 4:28 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "WhansaMi" <[email hidden]> opined:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.
    --

    Vidalia is a sweet yellow onion, named for the place in Georgia where they originated. If your
    grocer doesn't have Vidalias, another sweet yellow onion will do, such as Walla Walla.

    Sheila

    Thanks, so regular "yellow" are considered sweet?
    --
    ========================================================
    "Michael, we're bigger than U. S. Steel," Hyman Roth.
    ========================================================

  5. "The Wolf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 01/21/2004 4:28 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "WhansaMi"


    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    opined:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called


    Vidalia.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    --

    Vidalia is a sweet yellow onion, named for the place in Georgia where


    they

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    originated. If your grocer doesn't have Vidalias, another sweet yellow


    onion

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will do, such as Walla Walla.

    Sheila

    Thanks, so regular "yellow" are considered sweet?


    No, the Vidalia are really mild, you could eat them raw similar to an apple. They do not have as
    much bite as a radish. Yellow onions are sharper (IMO) than white onions. Yellow onions can be
    somewhat mild to extremely pungent. There are sharp and strong red onions as well as mild ones. If
    you need Vidalia, the only thing that will do are Vidalia or Walla Walla. Both are seasonal here
    because they do not keep long. Around here you would most likely find them at outdoor vegetable
    market although Costco does carry the Vidalia's when in season. Janet

  6. On 01/21/2004 5:42 PM, in article [email hidden], "Janet
    Bostwick" <[email hidden]> opined:

    Quoted message said:


    "The Wolf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On 01/21/2004 4:28 PM, in article
    [email hidden], "WhansaMi"


    <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    opined:

    Quoted message said:

    > Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called


    Vidalia.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > --

    Vidalia is a sweet yellow onion, named for the place in Georgia where


    they

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    originated. If your grocer doesn't have Vidalias, another sweet yellow


    onion

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    will do, such as Walla Walla.

    Sheila

    Thanks, so regular "yellow" are considered sweet?


    No, the Vidalia are really mild, you could eat them raw similar to an apple. They do not have as
    much bite as a radish. Yellow onions are sharper (IMO) than white onions. Yellow onions can be
    somewhat mild to extremely pungent. There are sharp and strong red onions as well as mild ones. If
    you need Vidalia, the only thing that will do are Vidalia or Walla Walla. Both are seasonal here
    because they do not keep long. Around here you would most likely find them at outdoor vegetable
    market although Costco does carry the Vidalia's when in season. Janet


    Thanks, I was making French Onion soup for the first time, it came out ok.

    Used equal yellow and red. Will try Vidalia when they are in season.
    --
    ================================================================
    There's nothing like the sight of the gallows to focus the mind.
    ================================================================

  7. The Wolf said:

    Thanks, so regular "yellow" are considered sweet?

    The rule is that the shorter and squatter the onion is, the sweeter it is.

    -sw

  8. On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 18:42:21 -0700, "Janet Bostwick" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    If you need Vidalia, the only thing that will do are Vidalia or Walla Walla.

    And Maui Onions, of course. 🙂

    Aloha, mel

  9. Mel Matsuoka said:


    Janet Bostwick said:

    If you need Vidalia, the only thing that will do are Vidalia or Walla Walla.

    And Maui Onions, of course. 🙂

    A good friend of mine, she's so funny, she told me her boyfriend's mother asked her to pick up some
    Vidalia onions on the way home. I said, I don't think they are in season. Oh, well, they probably
    import some from Brazil. We had a good laugh when I explained they are only grown in and around
    Vidalia, Georgia. Something about the soil, blah blah blah.

    nancy

  10. The Wolf said:
    Quoted message said:


    Thanks, I was making French Onion soup for the first time, it came out ok.

    Used equal yellow and red. Will try Vidalia when they are in season.

    Food for thought: seasonalchef.comonion.htm

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

  11. In article <[email hidden]>, The Wolf

    Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.

    No. Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Maui Sweet (I think that's the name) are mild. I've had some red
    onions that have been really hot, others that have been quite mild -- nice color in a salad.
    --
    -Barb A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a true friend will be sitting next to you
    saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

  12. "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    In article said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.

    No. Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Maui Sweet (I think that's the name) are mild. I've had some red
    onions that have been really hot, others that have been quite mild -- nice color in a salad.
    --

    If you have a pungent onion and want to use it in a salad, slice it, pour boiling water over it, and
    let it sit for a while - 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. The chemicals that cause the strong
    smell and taste are water soluble and this will remove some of them.

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Remove the [censored] from my email address before using.

  13. "sf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    The Wolf said:
    Quoted message said:


    Thanks, I was making French Onion soup for the first time, it came out


    ok.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Used equal yellow and red. Will try Vidalia when they are in season.

    Food for thought: seasonalchef.comonion.htm

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    Interesting article, thanks. I've noticed in recent years that seed catalogues are offering a
    greater variety to choose from. Janet

  14. "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    If you have a pungent onion and want to use it in a salad, slice it, pour boiling water over it,
    and let it sit for a while - 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. The chemicals that cause the
    strong smell and taste are water soluble and this will remove some of them.


    If you dunk them in a bowl of ice water you will get better results. Cut, dunk and dry them
    immediately before serving the salad.

  15. In article <[email hidden]>, "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]>
    wrote: (snip)

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    No. Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Maui Sweet (I think that's the name) are mild. I've had some red
    onions that have been really hot, others that have been quite mild -- nice color in a salad.
    --

    If you have a pungent onion and want to use it in a salad, slice it, pour boiling water over it,
    and let it sit for a while - 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. The chemicals that cause the
    strong smell and taste are water soluble and this will remove some of them.

    Won't that wilt the onion, Peter?
    --
    -Barb A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a true friend will be sitting next to you
    saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

  16. "Jay Wilson" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    If you have a pungent onion and want to use it in a salad, slice it,


    pour

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    boiling water over it, and let it sit for a while - 30 seconds to a


    couple

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    of minutes. The chemicals that cause the strong smell and taste are


    water

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    soluble and this will remove some of them.


    If you dunk them in a bowl of ice water you will get better results. Cut, dunk and dry them
    immediately before serving the salad.

    Hmmm - I am willing to try but I am doubtful since solubility is greater in hot water. Any ideas why
    it might work better?

    --
    Peter Aitken

    Remove the [censored] from my email address before using.

  17. On 01/22/2004 7:54 AM, in article [email hidden], "Janet
    Bostwick" <[email hidden]> opined:

    Quoted message said:


    "sf" <[email hidden]> wrote in message "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    The Wolf said:

    >
    Thanks, I was making French Onion soup for the first time, it came out


    ok.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Used equal yellow and red. Will try Vidalia when they are in season.

    Food for thought: seasonalchef.comonion.htm

    Practice safe eating - always use condiments

    Interesting article, thanks. I've noticed in recent years that seed catalogues are offering a
    greater variety to choose from. Janet


    I always thought red was sweeter for some reason, according to the article that is not the case.
    --
    ================================================================
    There's nothing like the sight of the gallows to focus the mind.
    ================================================================

  18. "Peter Aitken" <[email hidden]> deliciously posted in
    :"]news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote in message news:barbschaller-
    [email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>, The Wolf

    Quoted message said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.

    No. Vidalia, Walla Walla, and Maui Sweet (I think that's the name) are mild. I've had some red
    onions that have been really hot, others that have been quite mild -- nice color in a salad.
    --

    If you have a pungent onion and want to use it in a salad, slice it, pour boiling water over it,
    and let it sit for a while - 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. The chemicals that cause the
    strong smell and taste are water soluble and this will remove some of them.

    Peter, this technique is one I have never heard of. What does this do to the firm, crisp texture of
    the onion? When I make a salad, I chill the onion while I'm getting the rest of the ingredients
    ready. When the salad is prepared, I slice the onion and add it.

    Michael

  19. Janet Bostwick said:


    If you need Vidalia, the only thing that will do are Vidalia or Walla Walla.

    In some parts of the country you can get Texas Sweet or 1015 onions, which are comparable to
    Vidalia, also.

    Dawn

  20. The Wolf said:

    Are there different regional names? Where I shop nothing is called Vidalia.

    Red onions are red, usually pretty easy to spot. Vidalia's look like a Spanish onion but the outer
    skin is more yellow and they tend to be a little smaller and flatter. They are only in the stores
    around here for a few months at a time, so my guess is that they are seasonal.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.