Quoted post said:Originally posted by Jon Cooper
Hi let me know your thoughts on the oldest (?) and best material....steel.
After Cougar Dedaccia steel frame & now Casati Geo in steel I am a big fan.
For the rough stuff difficult to beat a Rocky Mountain Equipe (steel frame) for a bouncy ride with loads of feedback.
What do you think?
I think it all depends on what qualities you are looking for. I've seen quite a few early 1900's lugged steel frames that are, for all practical purposes, perfectly useable. Durability: no question, steel beats out carbon or aluminum. Al is more brittle, Carbon tubes are layers of woven fiber saturated with epoxy resin... prone to shatter and more and more brittle with age.
Unfortunately, I don't think durability is something that many people actually care about one way or another. Most people don't expect to keep a bike long enough to care (like 20 years or more)... it will just wind up being thrown out when they buy a new one in a few years, just like everything else.
I do wonder about titaniam though, I believe it has equally good structural properties and, since it is a completely unreactive element, will not be damaged/weakened by corrosion.
But if I were going to spend that much on a frame, I'd get a Rivendell (gorgeous lugged steel) instead! :-)