rec.sport.unicycling · Public discussion

Is there a difference between protective and supportive ankle braces?

Started by Skippii · · Last activity · 13 posts · 559 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
rec.sport.unicycling
Published
7 February 2005
Last activity
7 February 2005
Original author
Skippii
Posts
13
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
559
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–13 of 13
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Some ankle braces say
    "Great for supporting weak ankles"
    some say
    "Protects your ankles from sprains etc"
    some say
    "Protects weakened ankles"

    Is there really much difference between ankle braces, or do they really
    all do the same thing?

    I've got one ankle that's in great shape, and one that's mostly
    recovered from a torn tendon...I want to get a pair to wear so that I
    don't tear another tendon or break an ankle.

    I don't really understand how ankle braces work...when I uni now, I wear
    a neoprene brace on my weak ankle at the advice of my doctor. It's like
    a little rupper slice of a sock that just fits over the ankle...I can
    still move like normal, it doesn't stop anything, and I have no idea why
    it would stop my ankle from breaking or stop a tendon from ripping. It's
    just like wearing a thick tight sock. Yet, my doctor said it was
    good...but not as good as one with plastic sides.

    I've seen some other ones, made of heavey fabric that laces up with
    "steel supportive springs" in the sides that is supposed to offer
    "Maximum protection for weak ankles" and I was going to get a pair to
    wear on both feet so that I next time I twist an ankle falling down
    stairs on the uni, I don't end up in the hospital and unable to ride for
    a month. I feel like these will offer more protection, because they look
    like they might actually stop my feet from snapping off. But they're
    quite a bit cheaper than the expensive ones which "allow full range of
    motion" which seems to imply that it lets your ankle bend 90 degrees in
    the wrong direction.

    So, any advice would be appreciated.

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  2. Protective are more for protecting you from cracking your ankle knob on
    you crank arm or whatever. And supportive is for ankle support from
    twisting or rolling your ankle over sideways. Some do both like active
    ankles. I dislocated my left ankle which broke my tibia and fibula while
    riding my muni so I wear ankle supports when I ride. The kind that I
    like are called ASO and cost about $40 each, you can order then online I
    think the web sit was called something like docortotic.com but you can
    find them by google. They offer some protection from wacking your ankle
    bone and give great support. I hope this is helpfull, Dan.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  3. Tellurider said:

    *Protective are more for protecting you from cracking your ankle knob
    on you crank arm or whatever. And supportive is for ankle support from
    twisting or rolling your ankle over sideways. Some do both like active
    ankles. I dislocated my left ankle which broke my tibia and fibula
    while riding my muni so I wear ankle supports when I ride. The kind
    that I like are called ASO and cost about $40 each, you can order then
    online I think the web sit was called something like docortotic.com
    but you can find them by google. They offer some protection from
    wacking your ankle bone and give great support. I hope this is
    helpfull, Dan. *

    Yeah, that's helpful.
    I looked at the ASOs before, and they seem interesting. I almost bought
    some, but didn't.

    The "supportive" ones I'm looking at now are $11 each...these are the
    ones with the steel spring support. I'm suprised at the huge range of
    price, and I'm wondering if it really is worth paying 4 times as much
    for something...is the gain in actual protection, or in comfort and
    range of motion, or is it just in brand name?

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  4. Skippii said:

    *Yeah, that's helpful.
    I looked at the ASOs before, and they seem interesting. I almost
    bought some, but didn't.

    The "supportive" ones I'm looking at now are $11 each...these are the
    ones with the steel spring support. I'm suprised at the huge range of
    price, and I'm wondering if it really is worth paying 4 times as much
    for something...is the gain in actual protection, or in comfort and
    range of motion, or is it just in brand name? *

    I have a pair of active ankles and I didn't like them they made my ankle
    realy wide and they rubed on my crank arms, and were uncomfortable. The
    ASOs were prescribed by my doctor so I got my insurance to pay half, but
    I think they are worth the money they are very comfortable and give
    realy good ankle support. They are comfortable to walk in and don't let
    your ankle roll at all. So I guess it depends on how much ankle support
    you need or want, but I don't think I would have broken my ankle in the
    first place if I had been wearing them so i think it's worth the extra
    money.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  5. the ones that lace up and go inside the shoe are the best.

    EDIT: for me and my glass right ankle.

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  6. jagur said:

    *the ones that lace up and go inside the shoe are the best.

    EDIT: for me and my glass right ankle. *

    That's like the ones at which I was looking...so that's one vote for
    each right now...

    Thanks for the replies, keep advice coming...

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  7. Ankle braces like the 'Active Ankles'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=405) offer freedom of
    movement while still offering protection from twists and sprains. But
    it doesn't offer protection against hyperextension of the ankle. The
    hinges also stick out from your ankle and can catch on the crank which
    knock your foot off the pedal and cause you to UPD. The advantage is
    that the Active Ankles offer very good freedom of movement of the ankle
    for pedaling while still offering protection for ankle injuries.

    Ankle guards like the 'Ankle Biters'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=533) only offer
    protection against bashing your ankle bone on the cranks. They offer no
    protection against twists and sprains or other ankle injuries.

    The lace up style like the '661 Race Brace'
    (http://www.unicycle.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=720) offer protection
    twists, sprains, and hyperextension. But they also restrict your ankle
    movement that is needed for effective pedaling and climbing. To pedal
    efficiently you need to be able to flex your ankle freely so you can
    point your toes down at the bottom of the stroke and flatten your ankle
    out at the top of the stroke.

    --
    john_childs - Guinness Mojo

    john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
    Gallery: '' (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/john_childs)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    john_childs's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/449
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  8. I'm not sure I know what hyperextension is...is that just pointing your
    toes down a lot further than they're supposed to go?

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  9. The active ankles look like a better version of the brace I got from the
    hospital...I find it difficult to uni with it because it tends to slip
    around and gets very uncomfortable.

    --
    Skippii - Kingpin, One for the Road

    One for the Road: Harrisonburg's Unicycle gang.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Skippii's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7822
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  10. active ankles are bulky and restrictive. go with the lace ups.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: feb06554.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/275908|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103


  11. Quoted message said:

    active ankles are bulky and restrictive. go with the lace ups.


    i agree.

    +----------------------------------------------------------------+
    | Attachment filename: feb06555.jpg |
    |Download attachment: http://www.unicyclist.com/attachment/275909|
    +----------------------------------------------------------------+

    --
    jagur - Random Unicyclist

    ---------------------------------------------------
    -forget_your_life-
    --------------------------------------
    -------*muni militia *-------
    *one wheeled death squad*
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jagur's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/502
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  12. I've had good experiences with the Active Ankles, except for freestyle,
    where they proved too bulky.

    Those laceups look pretty good, Jagur, what brand are they?

    John is talking about when your toes point too far up towards your knee,
    stretching your Achilles tendon too far. This usually occurs on drops,
    but can occur during UPDs too.

    --
    U-Turn - Member of Generation XO

    Weep in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield.

    '29er Tire Study' (http://u-turn.unicyclist.com/29erTireStudy/)

    'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
    (http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albup39)

    'New York Unicycle Club' (http://www.newyorkunicycle.com)

    -- Dave Stockton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    U-Turn's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/691
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

  13. The ASO are similar to the one in the photo but also have a strap on
    each side that goes over the top of your foot and around under and back
    up the same side and then a stretchy band with velcro to hold them. This
    works like a figure eight tape job and realy suports your ankle from
    twisting side to side. It's hard to describe without a picture, but they
    realy work.

    I dont find that they restrict your ankle movement for pedaling or
    walking and they do offer some protection from hyperextension.

    I just got a pair of ankle supports from unicycle.com that they gave me
    to try called airsport air cast but I haven't had a chance to try them
    out. I have put them on and they seem comfortable and I think they will
    offer resonable support and they have metal plates that contour to the
    sides of your ankle and will offer protection from cracking your ankle
    bones against your crank arms but I can tell they don't give as much
    support as my ASOs, but they are much less bulky than the active ankles.

    --
    Tellurider - Dan Wilson

    There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972
    View this thread: http://www.unicyclist.com/thread/38103

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.